Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 05:44 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,103,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I know this is a complete pipe dream and would costs many billions, but if the NYC subway got these major renovations:

1. All trains are changed to New Technology, R-series trains.
2. All stations retrofitted with escalators and elevators.
3. All stations retrofitted with air conditioning.
4. All stations given platform screen doors

And everything else (punctuality, service, cleanliness, safety, etc.) stayed the status quo, NYC subway would easily be touted as one of THE BEST subways in the world.

Too often, people judge a subway system by its cover. I think we're really confusing "old station, old trains" with "dirty station, dirty trains." The new technology trains are just as comfy and sleek as the latest rolling stock on the Hong Kong MTR or Singapore MRT. The Hudson Yards station was just as clean, spacious, and impressive as the newest stations in Hong Kong or Singapore. When the Second Avenue Subway opens, it'll be as magnificent and impressive as any new subway construction in Europe or Asia.
In your 1st post, you stated NYC train was overall the best in the world. Now you are stating that if NYC implements all these upgrades and maintenance it will be THE best in the world.

What exactly was the point of your thread?

NYC Train is a bargain as it runs 24/7 and it cost $2.75 BUT it has a lot of downsides as actual NYC residents have stated in this thread.

The 2 Ave Train line took YEARS to create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 06:38 PM

8,395 posts, read 4,420,443 times
My favorite subway equivalent (can't quite call it a subway because it is elevated) is BTS Skytrain in Bangkok. Practically everything else tends to function perfectly in that city too, why not in other cosmopolitan cities? Maybe the solution to urban problems (crime, dirt, dysfunctional subways, etc) is strict enforcement of Buddhism??

Old 08-25-2019, 05:07 AM

43,743 posts, read 44,512,487 times
[quote=Mr. Ryu;56016337

The 2 Ave Train line took YEARS to create.[/QUOTE]

Although President Trump supports the second stage of the 2nd Avenue line, there has been no federal funding forthcoming to actually help complete it.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:48 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,103,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Although President Trump supports the second stage of the 2nd Avenue line, there has been no federal funding forthcoming to actually help complete it.
Did any other President gave funding for it? This goes back to April 2007.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:58 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,710,579 times
Once upon a time, we had good buses, too.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,528,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
why should the rest of the nation be on the hook for it?

Old 08-25-2019, 08:16 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,528,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I know this is a complete pipe dream and would costs many billions, but if the NYC subway got these major renovations:

1. All trains are changed to New Technology, R-series trains.
2. All stations retrofitted with escalators and elevators.
3. All stations retrofitted with air conditioning.
4. All stations given platform screen doors

And everything else (punctuality, service, cleanliness, safety, etc.) stayed the status quo, NYC subway would easily be touted as one of THE BEST subways in the world.

Too often, people judge a subway system by its cover. I think we're really confusing "old station, old trains" with "dirty station, dirty trains." The new technology trains are just as comfy and sleek as the latest rolling stock on the Hong Kong MTR or Singapore MRT. The Hudson Yards station was just as clean, spacious, and impressive as the newest stations in Hong Kong or Singapore. When the Second Avenue Subway opens, it'll be as magnificent and impressive as any new subway construction in Europe or Asia.
so if the NYC MTA miraculously achieved the 4 things you listed (which the MTR/MRT currently have already), it would still be behind.

and part of it is not the fault of the MTA, but NYC will just never be as safe as HK, SG, tokyo, etc.
the punctuality is still a mess.
it will never be as clean or service as good, and that's because of local culture of NYC.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,975,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Speaking of Slow trains. The MTA trains seem to operate fast above ground and slow as hell below ground.

I also notice that the trains runs much faster outside Manhattan.

The A/B express service in Brooklyn is a clear example of this.

Both trains run like snails on 6th ave but are very quick on the Brighton line and the Fulton St line in Brooklyn.
Line 6 runs the 7.75-8 miles between Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall to 125th Street in 19 minutes. That's 24 miles per hour, which is a pretty good speed for a subway system. Of course the DC Metro averages around 30 mph, but it's a newer, hybrid subway-commuter rail system.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:54 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,975,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
In your 1st post, you stated NYC train was overall the best in the world. Now you are stating that if NYC implements all these upgrades and maintenance it will be THE best in the world.

What exactly was the point of your thread?

NYC Train is a bargain as it runs 24/7 and it cost $2.75 BUT it has a lot of downsides as actual NYC residents have stated in this thread.

The 2 Ave Train line took YEARS to create.
No, I did NOT say it was the best in the world. I'm sure a system like Seoul or Tokyo or the Beijing Subway or the Moscow Metro, etc. would beat NYC's subway. I'm just saying NYC's subway might be older than Hong Kong or Singapore's subways, but it does its job much better.

Point of the thread: NYC's subway is old, but it's much more comprehensive than Hong Kong's MTR, and I'd take an old but very comprehensive subway over a newer but smaller subway.

Also, see my previous post: Singapore's MRT, despite having less than half the track mileage of the NYC subway, suffered 16 delays of 30 minutes or more in 2016 alone. Has the NYC subway even suffered more than 35 delays of 30 minutes or more in a single year recently?

Old 08-26-2019, 04:54 AM

43,743 posts, read 44,512,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Did any other President gave funding for it? This goes back to April 2007.
No but President Trump talks about it and being that he is a NYer, one would think he would find a way to help get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
why should the rest of the nation be on the hook for it?
I assume the Federal Government wants to help with the general improvement of the nation's infrastructure. So this could/would be one of several projects nationwide that it could help out with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City