Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 06:40 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
So you say with no evidence... I can find newspaper articles showing the Singapore MRT had 16 delays of a whopping 30 minutes or more in a single year, despite having a little under half the track length of the NYC subway.

Let me reiterate: delays of 30 minutes or more. Ok, NYC subway gets delays daily, I get it. But how often does it amount to 30 minutes or more?
Singapore is roughly the same size as Queens NY.

Ride the R train from Forest Hills to Queens Plaza every day for a week at 12 different times from 9am-5pm the do the same in Singapore on an equivalent line in terms of journey length. I'm telling you now that Singapore's will be more reliable.

The R train has been delayed EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 07:22 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
I don't ride the subway often, maybe a couple times a month.
Today I had the fortune of taking a trip through the city and I'm reminded of another reason why the NYC subways suck.

On a <30 min single train ride, I witnessed the following (from least to most offending):
-non-profit asking for donations
-express train I'm on moving extremely slowly through the local stops (I was not in a rush)
-panhandler begging for money
-homeless person pushing a shopping cart through the train (but not panhandling)
-a pack of 6 yutes performing a "show", blasting their annoying music, swinging from the handlebars nearly kicking me in the face (I'll never make the mistake of sitting in the middle of a train again)

it has nothing to do with the MTA itself, but the inhabitants of the city so I can't fault the MTA for this, but I don't see this in HK, SG, BJ, tokyo.
Move somewhere more homogenous and you won't have these issues

More transplant rhetoric.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-30-2019, 07:55 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
The fact that they are still running trains manufactured in the 1960s should tell you a lot.

When I lived in Shanghai for a bit, it really highlighted for me how lacking and poorly run American mass transit is.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:37 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Move somewhere more homogenous and you won't have these issues

More transplant rhetoric.
son, i was born and raised in the area and have watched it go from **** back in the 80s/90s, to the good times in a late 90s/2000s, and then slowly back to ****ty now.

i am considering moving though.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:24 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
son, i was born and raised in the area and have watched it go from **** back in the 80s/90s, to the good times in a late 90s/2000s, and then slowly back to ****ty now.

i am considering moving though.
Just make sure you find somewhere homogenous, otherwise you will run into the same issues that you're commenting about

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City