Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 11:42 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times

Advertisements

I'll offer a different type of solution than what everyone else mentioned.

I'm also a light sleeper and can't have anything on my head while sleeping. One thing that has worked out for me to pass out is Valerian or Melatonin. Both are natural herbs and can be found in any pharmacy by the vitamins. I would say try that and see if it works. Less complicated than your other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 11:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Move back in with your parents

It is possible to have what you want

But right now you just can't afford it

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2019, 12:42 PM

22 posts, read 17,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I'll offer a different type of solution than what everyone else mentioned.

I'm also a light sleeper and can't have anything on my head while sleeping. One thing that has worked out for me to pass out is Valerian or Melatonin. Both are natural herbs and can be found in any pharmacy by the vitamins. I would say try that and see if it works. Less complicated than your other options.
I've done all the sleep hygiene.. I've found that no workarounds compares to having a quiet living environment.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Would you like to live with your parents?

It wouldn't work for many people, but if it works for you then it's okay.

My daughter shares an apartment in Woodside and they don't have a TV. They watch movies on their computers with headphones or buds.
I really have no desire to.. our relationship has been better since I've moved out.. we would all start to irritate each other, I'd feel like an adult adolescent. I probably shouldn't have suggested this. I'd prefer a situation similar to what your daughter has.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:11 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
There isn't really a solution here that doesn't involve modifications to making you a less sensitive sleeper. The solution isn't to move out but to ensure you are nutritionally sound and that you have no major underlying health conditions that would aggravate sleep patterns. (Mainly these would be neurological or hormonal disorders to be on the lookout for when it comes to sleep)

There are people who buy entire houses and are unable to sleep because their nextdoor neighbors have jamboree sessions nightly. Moving into a house in the suburbs will not solve your problem.

It would be financially and socially more sound (based on your desire not to live alone anyway) to focus your efforts on optimizing your sleep. Carefully begin experimenting with high quality supplements from reputable companies (that have been around for 10+ years) only after you have modified your diet and check whfoods to ensure you are getting as much of A-Z in your diet as possible. If you don't consume dairy you'll need to be more wary of a calcium deficiency. If you don't eat nuts or seeds much, magnesium deficiency is likely. Both are essential to sleep. Omega 3 helps as well and Vitamin D. Both which can be obtained from fish. Sushi/Sashimi grade wild salmon 2x a week is best. If you don't or refuse to eat fish take a supplement. Regardless take a multivitamin daily (I advise Vitamin Code RAW brand)

Old 08-23-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
There isn't really a solution here that doesn't involve modifications to making you a less sensitive sleeper. The solution isn't to move out but to ensure you are nutritionally sound and that you have no major underlying health conditions that would aggravate sleep patterns. (Mainly these would be neurological or hormonal disorders to be on the lookout for when it comes to sleep)

There are people who buy entire houses and are unable to sleep because their nextdoor neighbors have jamboree sessions nightly. Moving into a house in the suburbs will not solve your problem.

It would be financially and socially more sound (based on your desire not to live alone anyway) to focus your efforts on optimizing your sleep. Carefully begin experimenting with high quality supplements from reputable companies (that have been around for 10+ years) only after you have modified your diet and check whfoods to ensure you are getting as much of A-Z in your diet as possible. If you don't consume dairy you'll need to be more wary of a calcium deficiency. If you don't eat nuts or seeds much, magnesium deficiency is likely. Both are essential to sleep. Omega 3 helps as well and Vitamin D. Both which can be obtained from fish. Sushi/Sashimi grade wild salmon 2x a week is best. If you don't or refuse to eat fish take a supplement. Regardless take a multivitamin daily (I advise Vitamin Code RAW brand)
I appreciate the sentiment.. My sleep is fine, I'm just a light sleeper. I'll visit my parents in the suburbs every few weeks and sleep through the night without a problem in their house. The reason being is because they're quiet people and my bedroom has good noise insulation. In my current apartment, the living room is directly next to my bedroom and the walls are so thin that I can hear any tv show playing from my room. While I understand no living arrangement is perfect, there are definitely living environments that are more conducive to sleep.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:26 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WaysToLeaveYourLover View Post
I appreciate the sentiment.. My sleep is fine, I'm just a light sleeper. I'll visit my parents in the suburbs every few weeks and sleep through the night without a problem in their house. The reason being is because they're quiet people and my bedroom has good noise insulation. In my current apartment, the living room is directly next to my bedroom and the walls are so thin that I can hear any tv show playing from my room. While I understand no living arrangement is perfect, there are definitely living environments that are more conducive to sleep.
One of the best ways to ensure more quiet is to rent an apartment in a house as opposed to a building. You might be able to find an apt share this way. If you check Brooklyn and Queens, there will be areas that will have availability. If you must be in a building, the top floor is a must as it will reduce the noise.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:54 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
I'm a light sleeper too. I lived in over 20 apts. Studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom....alone, with roommate(s), with partner, in good areas, bad areas, luxury apts, walk ups, house apts, etc It doesn't matter the situation or apartment you will always have issues. Even if you can afford your own place you still have to deal with neighbors, people above or below, people in the hallways, outside noise.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Get a girlfriend and then report back.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:25 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WaysToLeaveYourLover View Post
Yeah, what? Why is this relevant, lol?
RussiaRussiaRussia has a pattern of thought you will note now that you read his posts. It is what it is. I read him and ignore him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City