Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 08:00 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That’s perfectly fine. All public schools should get equal government resources.
This is already happening though. Specialized high schools in NYC do not get any more government resources than any other schools. For budget purposes, they are treated as normal public high schools.
I am not sure about G&T, but I'd assume they are not getting special treatment either. NYC uses the same formula to allocate funds regardless of the school. It is based on a per pupil basis + extra funds are added for each pupil who is special needs/ESL. NYC does not allocate funding based on student grades or school rankings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 AM

157 posts, read 87,099 times
I wonder if transplants will start sending their kids to Catholic schools even though they don't believe in Jesus.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:16 AM

Depends if they are more scared of Jesus or brown people.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:20 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke of Mastic View Post
I wonder if transplants will start sending their kids to Catholic schools even though they don't believe in Jesus.
Bwahahahahaha

You get it

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-28-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Bwahahahahaha

You get it
I'm a cheerleader for a Catholic based education.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke of Mastic View Post
I'm a cheerleader for a Catholic based education.
"St. Camillus Catholic Academy, located at 185 Beach 99th Street in Queens, closed at the end of the 2019 school year. Declining enrollment due to changing demographics led to a severe budget deficit that could not be overcome."

https://stcamillusca.org/

Catholic schools are dropping like flies

Old 08-28-2019, 08:42 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
This Deblasio short-sighted and short-term solution is to draw votes for his Prez run and future endeavors. The long term effect will be the erosion of the schools and quality of education in NYC will be dragged down as a whole. Gifted students will be the most affected but I am the believer that if someone is gifted they need to be addressed differently. If the schools doesn't recognize that the parents will have to intervene.

I live in NJ and the town was thinking of doing something similar to this and was shot down quickly by the town folks that pay the taxes and attends the town hall meeting. In a small town with only fewer than 10 schools this doesn't do much but in a large city with 20+ schools it has a huge impact.

I like to see NYC tax payers do the same and send DeBlasio a tough message that if he doesn't represent them. They should give him the finger as most co-workers at work are all moving out of NYC, pretty much anyone making 6 figures these days is leaving except the ultra rich liberals.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:31 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Catholic school is definitely on the table for my kids for high school. When the time comes I should be able to retire and take out a bunch of extra pension padding money to pay for it.

The other option is to just move. My ex works in NJ anyway. The kids can stay with her but I’ll move across the bridge so we can enroll our kids in a nice diverse, but non-socially engineered NJ town.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-28-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This Deblasio short-sighted and short-term solution is to draw votes for his Prez run and future endeavors. The long term effect will be the erosion of the schools and quality of education in NYC will be dragged down as a whole. Gifted students will be the most affected but I am the believer that if someone is gifted they need to be addressed differently. If the schools doesn't recognize that the parents will have to intervene.

I live in NJ and the town was thinking of doing something similar to this and was shot down quickly by the town folks that pay the taxes and attends the town hall meeting. In a small town with only fewer than 10 schools this doesn't do much but in a large city with 20+ schools it has a huge impact.

I like to see NYC tax payers do the same and send DeBlasio a tough message that if he doesn't represent them. They should give him the finger as most co-workers at work are all moving out of NYC, pretty much anyone making 6 figures these days is leaving except the ultra rich liberals.
Anything public needs to be treated the same

Public housing, everybody gets the same style apartment
Public school, everybody gets the same style education

It's the transplants fault, they wanted their big beautiful brownstones for cheap and conveniently ignored the fact that the majority of NYC public schools really haven't been great since the late 1960s

Now they want to have offspring and its a problem, save me the tears

I was in a gifted program in NYC public school from K-5th in the 1980s and I still had fights at least once a week
As long as the school is in a poor neighborhood you'll never win, unless you do the pioneer work of integrating and sticking it out

Old 08-28-2019, 10:14 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
Diblasio and Carranza want every school to have the same exact racial makeup as the city as a whole. how would that be done if not by bussing white/asians kids to south Bronx and Brownsville, and hispanic/black to Douglaston and Staten Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City