Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 03:29 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I'm fine with it. I'm sure there were similar when Little Italy was Italian, Ave A was Prussian/German, core Lower East Side was more Jewish, Chinatown was Chinatown (lol), Financial District was Dutch, etc. Just another set of immigrants in the history of a city that has thrived off of their immigrant populace.

Only place I had food poisoning from Chinese food was a buffet in the middle of PA, so w/e.
Mr mathjack’s whole life experience revolves around either the pocnos, which he hates, or NY which he loves. Expecting him to have broader views is unreasonable and disappointment bound...:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usklx View Post
Check out White Bear for dumplings, they're only a 2 block walk from the subway. Delicious fast and cheap!
Stop spreading the rumor from yelp...there are many other places serve good dumplings at affordable prices and are much cleaner than white bear. It is a gringo trap at best in my opinion. The couple owner are eccentric on top of everything else...

Old 08-29-2019, 04:02 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Mr mathjack’s whole life experience revolves around either the pocnos, which he hates, or NY which he loves. Expecting him to have broader views is unreasonable and disappointment bound...:
Glad you think so .......what a stupid comment

Old 08-29-2019, 04:36 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
I make BK/QNs home while I work in MH, and I constantly drive through the forgotten boro Aka SI and try to avoid the BX as a whole whenever possible, but not always possible. I would even go to the sleepy LI now and then when NYC becomes too much for me. I have a good sense of where every place is, unlike OP who seems to be confined to a square mile of territory with limited knowledge of the real outside world...
Sure, but what are the neighborhoods you actually like visiting?

Old 08-29-2019, 04:38 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Stop spreading the rumor from yelp...there are many other places serve good dumplings at affordable prices and are much cleaner than white bear. It is a gringo trap at best in my opinion. The couple owner are eccentric on top of everything else...
There are definitely Chinese who go to White Bear. Saying otherwise is ridiculous.

Though the part about there being other places with good, affordable dumplings is true as well.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Thank you for all the interesting answers, but most especially to the people who just answered the core question - about taking the 7 train. It turns out that Flushing was so far up on the map that I hadn't even seen it.

I'll mull over the food information with great interest, but perhaps I should have specified that what I'm really hoping for is a place for good CHEAP dumplings. I've been bereft ever since Prosperity Dumplings closed down in Manhattan. Theirs used to be 4 or 5 for $1 or so.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, but what athe neighborhoods you actually like visiting?
I covered pretty much every named nabes in BK and >2/3 of QNs

Old 08-29-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Glad you think so .......what a stupid comment
It is completely observation based but Glad that you disagree with my comment

Old 08-29-2019, 07:12 PM

127 posts, read 109,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussiaRussiaRussia View Post
.... Talk about disgusting. In the real China, they are well known for lack of standards when it comes to food being safe, so don't be surprised when you get sick in Flushing as well... .
What are you talking about?

Don't you know there is a Health Department in NYC. They have food inspectors grading every restaurant in NYC. They make sure every restaurant follow its standards and compliance rules. Otherwise they will shut it down. Flushing is more or less like other areas in NYC. I don't see a lot of restaurants got shut down there like Williamsburg or Upper East Side.

I bet you will be very happy if you bought a house there few decades ago. It was cheap and it was run-down like a ghost town. No one wanted to move in except the Asians. If you have bought it, you could sell it now for couple million dollars and move to whatever you like. You would never be worrying about having a good place to live or having a job anymore.

Flushing Downtown now attract a lot of big developers like Blackstone Group. They buy up a lot of property around that areas and build more luxury buildings to attract the rich to move in.

Last edited by davidmun; 08-29-2019 at 07:30 PM..

Old 08-29-2019, 09:00 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
You may want to check this out if you have the time and happen to be in the area. FYI
Don't know for sure but I'm guessing there will be dumplings somewhere in the midst.
Take the 7, ride somewhere towards the back of the train, get off at the last stop "Main Street" & exit on the first stairway you see. You'll be in the thick of it.

https://qns.com/story/2019/08/29/flu...al-on-sept-14/

Flushing food vendors present unique dishes to be featured at upcoming street festival on Sept. 14

The vendors included Legend Chicken, Flushing Ice Cream Factory, Eggcellent Souffles Pancake, Golden Rich, Miss Li Henan Cuisine, Shi Miao Dao Yunnan Noodles, 8 Pots Mini Hot Pots, and Chinese Sugar Painting.

Now in its sixth year, the annual Flushing Street Festival will take place on Sept. 14 at 40th Road between Prince Street and Main Street in the heart of downtown Flushing.

With over 25,000 attending last year, the signature summer event features different types of savory dishes from area restaurants along with live music and entertainment, interactive children’s activities, unique shopping and a large variety of local, regional and national partners interacting with festival goers, providing information, coupons and free giveaways.

Last edited by Aeran; 08-29-2019 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City