Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Any Omega Cities?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:25 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Yeah, on Alpha Centuri.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-21-2019, 10:10 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Wrong. I did not copy and paste. I did reference and then typed by hand, paraphrasing with my own words.

Doesn't matter since I'm not 2500 years old, or dead. I'm alive now. Where I want to live depends on me being alive, not dead.

No only you. You have some very small minded ideas about things and your prejudiced thinking is in a lot of threads.

There you go again, attributing words into someone else's mouth.

Every two bit town in Europe has cultural happenings. That isn't the case, even in larger cities in the US.

Your own words are somehow always someone else's words :-).

History has greatly accelerated, and things do not need 25 centuries to rise ot fall nowadays, but only a few years.
The definition of broad-mindedness consists of digesting critically a broad range of information and arriving at own conclusions (as opposed to small-mindedness which consists of constant regurgitation of the same few received ideas). An example of broad-mindidness was Steve Jobs who credited LSD experiences as the most important source of his technical creativity, and voted for Reagan because creativity is creativity, and economy is economy. Of course you can't understand that if it is beyond your mental horizon.

Every bit town in in the US has cultural happenings, more so than bit towns in Europe. Small-town radio stations in the US are extremely good, and every small place in Appalachia has an old-time/country/bluegrass music/dance event at least once a week (I have seen them happening in shopping malls!). Of course, a provincial NYorker will not know this if he/she confuses classy with fake, thinks that "culture" consists entirely of eating, or never travels anywhere in the US but relies on his/her prejudices to form thoroughly uninformed opinions about the rest of the US. The downside of two-bit places, in the US, same as in Europe, is relative lack of privacy, because you are living with a small number of people, and the chief social activity gets to be gossiping - that is the nuisance of small towns, not lack of access to culture. The downside, for me, is also lack of large-scale historic architecture in two-bit places (as I grew up in a large city that was mostly built up in the early to mid-1800s), but that is a matter of taste and probably habit, not of broadness of mind.
I'm in transit, so cannot check this forum too often or write too much. NYC has historic continuity with the past (or "past reputation"), as well still a lot of fabulous 1870s cast iron, and 1920s tall "urban neo-Gothic", architecture (with grossly inadequate efforts at historic preservation, though), but that's it. Nothing needs to be centralized or concentrated in one place any more, and people/economy have much easier time deciding to go wherever there are the best opportunities to thrive. Being constantly mugged by taxes and possibly street criminals, always listening to tiresome self-justifying political rhetoric of theft, is for most enterprising people NOT the definition of opportunity to thrive.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:43 AM

And incidentally, I have nothing against taxes to support urban infrastructure and quality of life (including law enforcement, transportation, sanitation, libraries, genuinely educational curricula in public schools). I DO have everything against taxes to support welfare dependence, transfer of money from those who work to those who don't want to, and "power-to-the-scum" social trends.

A very simple example: there has to be legitimate taxation and cost of transportation tickets to support the MTA. But businesses and working people should not be taxed and required to pay ever increasing ticket costs so that 25% of MTA users can jump the turnstiles and ride free. I have used public transportation in many multimillion-population cities around the world, and, with a possible exception of San Francisco where the problem is also somewhat prevalent, have never except in NYC seen people ROUTINELY just hopping over the turnstile. Only in NYC this is considered "normal", is considered a "human right".

Last edited by elnrgby; 09-21-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yeah, on Alpha Centuri.

Or Alabama?

Old 09-22-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
18,000, 13,500, 7,500, and 1,000 doesn't add up to 439,523.

And 277 people leaving each day = 101,105 per year and NOT 439,532.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:21 AM

Quickly from an airport: the question of mistakenly placed comma/extra digit was already addressed earlier in the thread. The net loss of NYC population in the past uear was around 39k, not 439k. I have written all of my posts assuming the net loss of around 40k, or about 0.5% of total NYC population... the same NYC where one half of all tax revenue comes from 1% (or less than 100,000) residents of the city. So the most important question is: who are the people that are leaving? Is a substantial number of top taxpayers leaving? Because there are less than 100,000 substantial taxpayers, ie, the number that is only slightly more than double annual net population loss of 40k.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:34 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Quickly from an airport: the question of mistakenly placed comma/extra digit was already addressed earlier in the thread. The net loss of NYC population in the past uear was around 39k, not 439k. I have written all of my posts assuming the net loss of around 40k, or about 0.5% of total NYC population... the same NYC where one half of all tax revenue comes from 1% (or less than 100,000) residents of the city. So the most important question is: who are the people that are leaving? Is a substantial number of top taxpayers leaving? Because there are less than 100,000 substantial taxpayers, ie, the number that is only slightly more than double annual net population loss of 40k.
Given the high housing prices and low vacancy rates, it's probably a lot of working class people leaving.

It's also funny you mentioned Amazon earlier, because NYC is on pace to have about the same number of jobs in corporate that Amazon needed to qualify for its tax breaks and PILOT programs while Bezos in the past few months bought an $80 million crashpad on 5th Avenue.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:54 AM

Who is leaving?

Latinos buying cheap homes in the Lehigh Valley.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:19 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Los Angeles has nothing like NYC in terms of transit and neither does SF,

Anyone who claims that LA has good mass transit is smoking some drug. That is unless they call a system of sprawling highways mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City