Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:26 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,318,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
It’s not the race, it’s the attitude. Yes your social media is fair game.
Lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 02:29 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
What does this have to do with her income and credit?

You feel threatened by someone whose “woke”? Well thank god she’s woke cause she might get a case.

What is up with some of these people who are against black folks that are woke about themselves? Perhaps she would have been a better tenant if she was one of those black folks who awkwardly believe America is discrimination-free

The irony here is that the reason why so many people are “black this” and “black that” is because of the years, decades and centuries of systematic racism which played a big part in real estate
If you live your life on the defensive you are bound to perceive everything as a slight. Someone who has that personality will DEFINITELY cause problems. If I were a landlord I wouldn’t want to deal with it.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:15 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,244,628 times
She should just rent a room and save to buy a house. $90 grand is plenty to save for a down payment.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:08 PM

1,486 posts, read 992,790 times
Quote:

You feel threatened by someone whose “woke”? Well thank god she’s woke cause she might get a case.

What is up with some of these people who are against black folks that are woke about themselves? Perhaps she would have been a better tenant if she was one of those black folks who awkwardly believe America is discrimination-free

The irony here is that the reason why so many people are “black this” and “black that” is because of the years, decades and centuries of systematic racism which played a big part in real estate
It has nothing to do with it and everything to do with the LL do not want an issue in the future with that type of person. There is something called being humble and she seem to not know how to be that type of person. She can be WOKE all she wants but sometimes people needs to learn how to shut their mouths to keep food in their belly and a roof over their heads. By her going public with that article and her photo do she really think LLs will come running to her to offer her an apartment or distance themselves more as soon an her application pops up.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:42 PM

62 posts, read 35,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Actually I don’t think it makes much of a difference. My uncle is a landlord in upstate NY and he made the mistake of renting to a section 8 tenant. The tenants looked humble and non problematic, but two month in, they trashed the entire place and flooded the basement. He went through so much trying to get them out. He said he will never rent to section 8 again!

One of my houses years ago before I decided to discriminate, I gave this section 8 woman a chance because of her sob story. Long story short she ended up destroying my entire apartment then complain to section 8 that I gave her a rundown apartment. Funny thing is section 8 does an inspection before they move in, and if they see the apartment run down, then section 8 wouldn't approve. I told section 8 she destroy my apartment u guys inspected it less than a year ago, all they said was you got to fix the apartment. Never again would I rent to those animals again.

Quote:

I use to be equal and not discriminate when it comes to renting out to potential tenants. After renting out to a few of them over the years, they're the only ones complaining about the smallest things and they the only ones that look for a reason not to pay rent and they destroy the apartment while living there. If you're destroying someone's house then you deserve to be homeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
It’s not the race, it’s the attitude. Yes your social media is fair game.

In my experience as a private landlord, only one race does this. I'll never rent to that race ever again, I dont care if they make million dollar a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
It has nothing to do with it and everything to do with the LL do not want an issue in the future with that type of person. There is something called being humble and she seem to not know how to be that type of person. She can be WOKE all she wants but sometimes people needs to learn how to shut their mouths to keep food in their belly and a roof over their heads. By her going public with that article and her photo do she really think LLs will come running to her to offer her an apartment or distance themselves more as soon an her application pops up.

Truthfully I rather they show their true colors in the beginning it makes process of eliminating far easier. Like I said above now I discriminate against a certain race.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:33 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,781,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
That's a little over the top that a LL have to meet with the parents of all applicants in order for them to qualify for the apartment.
It's because it is so tough to evict a dead beat tenant. My mom's been a landlord for 30 plus years. It's such a hassle to evict. And some "professional dead beat" tenants know how to work the system and the courts to their favor. She charges below market rate to keep tenant turnover low & rents to prospective tenants word of mouth as much as possible & they better have good references, show prior rental history & she will check it out.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:47 PM

15,870 posts, read 14,512,912 times
If she thinks she has a legitimate discrimination complaint, she should file a complaint with the city / state.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:32 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,304,125 times
These excessively woke people are so pretentious. They are more woke for the 'gram'. Why is she worried about white landlords renting to her if she is so woke? I would think that she would prefer to keep her woke money in the hands of other black landlords. There are tons of suitable apartments owned by small minority landlords that she could rent from. There are millions of minority here renting apartments just fine.

Must be exhausting living a life of fake victimization.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,766,851 times
Quote:

And there are some of these woke people who want pay back from the white man, even though it wasn’t us (landlords) who were the discriminators. Some landlords are cognizant of this and don’t want to take the chance on someone who may have a “you owe me “ attitude from the get go.
There are plenty of other tenants out there who come without these attitudes.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:44 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,766,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
It's because it is so tough to evict a dead beat tenant. My mom's been a landlord for 30 plus years. It's such a hassle to evict. And some "professional dead beat" tenants know how to work the system and the courts to their favor. She charges below market rate to keep tenant turnover low & rents to prospective tenants word of mouth as much as possible & they better have good references, show prior rental history & she will check it out.
This is very true^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City