Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,313 times

Advertisements

I did a search of the forums, and I didn't find an answer to my primary question. If my question has already been answered elsewhere, please direct me to that particular thread.

Anywho, does anyone know how good public transportation is in Queens? Can you get around Queens easily without a car? How difficult is it to use the bus system if you don't know New York very well? Do bus drivers typically announce their upcoming stop, or are there signs within the bus that displays the upcoming intersection/stop? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 11:40 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
It depends on where in Queens you are!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:49 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Your question is too general. Some parts of Queens are well served by public transportation, others not.

You can find a subway map here: MTA NYC Transit - Subway Service Information (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm - broken link)
and a Queens bus map here: http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf (broken link) Maybe these will answer your question.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM

16 posts, read 126,353 times
Like the others said, it all depends on where you are in Queens. In general, the closer to Manhattan the better, the further out, the less.

In general, the bus system is very easy to use and probably one of the best bus systems I have ridden (if thats the correct word).

Old 04-17-2008, 02:00 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
There are some parts of Queens where having a car is more of a pain than anything else. Those parts would be the areas closest to Manhattan near the subway lines, such as the E/F/R/V/N/W and 7. There are other parts of Queens near the M train where I think a car would be helpful.

Your best bet is to look at the subway map at mta.info, or maybe also look at google maps of Queens, which will show you where the subway stops are.

You might get better answers to your question if you tell us what your plans are - will you work in Manhattan, do you already have a car you want to keep, do you have children, etc.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:15 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,383 times
Buses in New York generally tend to stop every two blocks, like clockwork... the schedules, however, you can toss away as useless, because they come when they wanna' come... count on being at a stop at least ten minutes before you THINK the bus is supposed to be there (during rush hours).

Generally, the trains & buses are fine, but getting stops called out on either is hit & miss, and depends entirely on your driver or conductor... Queens, you'll get to know easy enough, as it's on the "grid" system with the rest of NYC...

Just remember this much... in MANHATTAN, "Avenues" run north & south and "streets" run east & west. . . . in the outer boroughs, it's exactly the opposite....

Old 04-17-2008, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,313 times
I'd like to thank everyone that responded to my initial post! And, I'm sorry about being too general. I'll be moving to Jamaica Queens to attend St John's University.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:53 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
I'd like to thank everyone that responded to my initial post! And, I'm sorry about being too general. I'll be moving to Jamaica Queens to attend St John's University.
Jamaica is a major transportation hub of Queens. There's got to be at least 2 dozen bus routes there, the LIRR, and 3 subway routes located there.

Quote:
How difficult is it to use the bus system if you don't know New York very well?
Can be confusing if you never analyze the routes before heading out. Many routes are local and some are "limited"(routes that pick-up/stop on busy intersections only). Of course it depends where you're heading.

Quote:
Do bus drivers typically announce their upcoming stop, or are there signs within the bus that displays the upcoming intersection/stop?
It depends on the operator and there's no sign in the bus displaying the next stop.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Just remember this much... in MANHATTAN, "Avenues" run north & south and "streets" run east & west. . . . in the outer boroughs, it's exactly the opposite....
Not always... in Brooklyn, Ave. run north and south in some parts (Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Borough Park, Dyker Heights), only central Brooklyn is the other way.
The same goes for the Bronx. Queens is the only one that goes opposite.

I am not going to talk about SI, because almost everything in SI is an avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City