Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 01:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,051,185 times

Advertisements

I was at Bergn recently and got a salad at Landhaus. They have you pay on a credit card with one of these ipad payment things that they swivel towards you so you can sign. I was surprised and taken aback when I saw that there was an 18% tip already selected -- so if I hadn't been paying attention and just signed my name (the only thing required after your card is swiped), I would have ended up tipping someone just to hand me a salad.

I had to bring my salad to the table, bring the utensils, etc. and afterward clean up by bussing my own table.

I understand that some people think it's cool to tip just for counter service, but my main objection was that an 18% tip was already pre-selected and they thought I would just sign away my money to them without questioning the tip and also the amount of the tip.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 01:47 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,199,509 times
Yes several places I've been to in the last year or so use the ipad as a register and have the tip selected. One place I go buy donuts at. Really you want me to tip you to put two donuts in a paper bag that you usually do wrong and makes all the frosting stick to the bag....

Old 09-17-2019, 01:50 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,578,780 times
I am in your camp. Tipping is for service. A counter order and self pickup is absent any service.

Now I can see putting out a tip jar for those that want to contribute to the owners bottom line or think the cashier will actually see anything from it, but an involuntary tip would drastically reduce my patronage or pressure me into other avenues of purchases that greatly increase the level of effort by the shop.....ie delivery, packaging to go and verifying the order at the counter, etc.

If you want a tip, earn a tip.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:58 PM

8,642 posts, read 11,013,186 times
tipping is out of control in nyc.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:59 PM

8,271 posts, read 4,305,850 times
(1) In some other countries, a service charge (typically 10%, not 18%) is often included in the bill, so I am used to seeing it - however, NOT for counter service in a cafeteria, I have never heard of tipping for that, and I would dispute it too.

(2) About a month ago, I was given a bill in a restaurant in Chinatown (in NYC) with pre-included 15% tip. I was okay with that, because I would have tipped 15% anyway, but then when they gave me a credit card slip to sign, there was a line to add MORE tip (to which I added zero :-). It appears that pre-included tip might become more common in places where minimum wage has been recently raised, and, as a result of it, a lot of people have stopped tipping altogether. You just need to look at your bill more carefully (to protest the pre-included tip if you think it is inappropriate, or to avoid tipping twice).

Old 09-17-2019, 02:00 PM

1,486 posts, read 978,399 times
This in the new trend. Ive been to bars that automatically add 18% to the bar tab for drinks when no food was even ordered. So even if they gave terrible service like mixing up the drinks, taking too long to complete an order, water down a drink, or flat out forgetting about you after they poured the first round they still get 18%. then there is the extra line for you to add your own tip after they already included their own tip. the greed!

Vote with your wallet. I sure do and I now scrutinize every bill I bill I get before I pay.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:10 PM

11,142 posts, read 7,886,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was at Bergn recently and got a salad at Landhaus. They have you pay on a credit card with one of these ipad payment things that they swivel towards you so you can sign. I was surprised and taken aback when I saw that there was an 18% tip already selected -- so if I hadn't been paying attention and just signed my name (the only thing required after your card is swiped), I would have ended up tipping someone just to hand me a salad.

I had to bring my salad to the table, bring the utensils, etc. and afterward clean up by bussing my own table.

I understand that some people think it's cool to tip just for counter service, but my main objection was that an 18% tip was already pre-selected and they thought I would just sign away my money to them without questioning the tip and also the amount of the tip.

Thoughts?
Yes...if you have a problem with it... don’t patronize that business. Pretty easy!

Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 PM

31,676 posts, read 26,614,936 times
Movement away from cash to various electronic means of payment has made it rather easy for various service fees (including tips) to be added on final bill. Many customers either don't realize or even bother to scan said bill. That and or it is so difficult to remove/and they are in a hurry so again don't bother.

In order not to use any of of the pre-selected tip amounts for a NYC taxi ride you must enter $0.00. Not all drivers are forthcoming with that bit of information so many just fork over the lowest (2% or whatever), and be done with things.

Witness also the recent scandal of GrubHub and others tacking on various fees to bills including a service charge for using a CC.

People keep going on about how the new higher minimum wage is so wonderful. If that is so why am I being diddled for tips everywhere? Service certainly hasn't improved across the board, and I'll be darned if am going to pay a "tip" for something I've done largely myself, and or where feel it isn't warranted.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:57 PM

2,387 posts, read 1,179,428 times
I was hit with a CC processing fee at a bar in Manhattan recently...first time I have seen that.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM

15,049 posts, read 10,022,342 times
I'm starting to see signs pop up at various counter service establishments indicating a fee for CC processing. Usually around 50 cents.

I usually don't tip counter service... they aren't food servers working for tips and should (hopefully) be earning minimum wages rather than cash wages. If they get things out to me faster than expected, I may tip a dollar or two irregardless of final tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City