U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 13,351 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm 20 yo, want to study next september at St.Francis College, this would be Brooklyn. I currently live in Europe.

The only thing I have to worry about is housing.
I asked St.Francis College, and they want 12.000 USD for housing/food per academic year.

Well that's something I can't afford

Now, are there any less expensive options for me here? I'm willing to share my apartment with ppl.
I'm willing to go to College by bus/subway from my rented room/apartment whatever.

Maybe a Family Host is an option?

I cant spend more than 8.000 USD per academic year for basic food and room.

So please tell me can I realistically study in NYC with that kind of money for food/housing ?? (I'm not including tuition, books etc.)

Hope someone can help me.
Its really difficult cuz I don't know anybody there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,088,397 times
HMMMM, 12,000 including food sound really cheap....
I really dont think 8,000 is going to make it.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:27 PM

14 posts, read 72,126 times
If you are female, try two of the cheaper women's only facilities, both in Manhattan: Centro Maria (10400 USD yearly) and there is also Jeanne D'Arc, which I've heard is much cheaper, but it's been difficult for me to find current information online. It is easy to find their contact information, just use google, call to find their prices and get put on their waiting list (it's supposedly very long).

If you're male, try the co-ed Kolping Residence, if you wouldn't mind making about a 30-min. commute from the Bronx to Manhattan. It starts at $650/month.

All of these places include some or most meals, it depends. And I'm sure there are other options I'm not aware of. I found all of these on google, though. Search for student housing in NYC. Don't give up! 8,000 may be a little too low, but you can definitely do better than 12,000. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:02 PM
sa.

1 posts, read 1,007 times
Hallo Acra, my name is Sammy and i live in NYC (Brooklyn). I think i can help you with your housing issue
Can you tell me what you are exactly looking for (apt-room....etc)
hit me back for more details
Have a good one Sammy

Old 05-29-2015, 05:22 PM

2,446 posts, read 3,189,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa. View Post
Hallo Acra, my name is Sammy and i live in NYC (Brooklyn). I think i can help you with your housing issue
Can you tell me what you are exactly looking for (apt-room....etc)
hit me back for more details
Have a good one Sammy
7yrs later, im sure hes found a place

Old 07-30-2016, 06:48 PM

81 posts, read 126,549 times
Probably graduated by now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City