Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 09:31 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
I use Nord for $3 a month =D.

yes I know about the underground stuff, but for people that want to do things legally cutting the cord isn't that simple.

Also even with Nord & torrenting, I still have cable b/c I don't want to have to DL everything I want to watch. there's something to be said for just sitting down and turning on a TV.
Chrome cast, fire sticks, roku a dna plex/Dlna server is all u need then.
Or go old school and hook up an hdmi cable from a pc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
If your main QOL concern is watching sports live then you will forever be tethered to paying for TV. Some people are just stuck in their old way and don't want to change for the better because they think its an inconvenience. Similar to my mom who goes to get a money order to pay her rent, or physically goes into a store to pay her cellphone bill even though I constantly tell her about ACH online payments or even better autopay. all of which saves the most important thing one can never get back once its spent, time. If someone want to sit there and watch a whole game of live sports rather than just looking at the score on their phone while they do something else or just look at the highlight reel the day after then it will be a cost to them in both time and money.

As for cutting the cellphone, most folks have family plans where they have the entire family on it and just pool the data. It comes out cheaper and have exceptional service unlike the smaller companies out there that can go under, only local to certain areas where once you leave the state there are no stores incase there is an issue and need a replacement, or brought out at any moment.

The best way to cover the cellphone cost is to get the company you work for to pay the bill for you by claiming it as your work phone .
YouTube tv.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
When I started making close to $100k I had to drop Virgin Mobile. There's definitely a difference. I was also starting a side business at the time and needed a more reliable service. T-Mobile runs me about $100 a month but that's with the latest Samsung Galaxy. Without it it would probably be about 75. Virgin Mobile ran me about 50 a month when I terminated it.

Any service that's only $20 a month is going to have low coverage, a lot of dropped calls and network outages
Google fi.

Gosh I feel like people here don’t know how to use google to search for cheaper alternatives.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:32 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Google fi.

Gosh I feel like people here don’t know how to use google to search for cheaper alternatives.
Gosh and no disrespect, your posts adds nothing to the conversation. Google or other internet searches starts the research process. But each option that may seem promising may turn out to be a mere bait and switch. Sometimes it's helpful to hear what has actually worked for others. That's actually a service that this type of discussion can facilitate.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
LMAO!!

Having cable is like having an AOL account....meaning you can tell their age just by the services they have.

The same way folks found out back in the day how to get free music via Kazza, Napster or LimeWire is the same way they figured out to get free TV today by using Bittorrent + VPN + Plex.

All commercial free in 1080p and 5.1 sound when you want it.
You will get old too my friend.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:36 PM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
I switch every 2 years between the 2 cable providers so I am always getting the cheap rate.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:57 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Google fi.

Its not that they don't want to google it I believe that most people want someone else to do the leg work for them. for instance I had a friend that asked me why her TV don't work when she turn it on all it does is do a clicking sound. I purposely didn't answer her for a week then finally google it and in 5 minutes I found out it was faulty capacitors on the power supply needed to be replaced and the OEM will do it for free since it was a known issue in that TV model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
You will get old too my friend.

Eventually
But ill prolong it as much as possible lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I switch every 2 years between the 2 cable providers so I am always getting the cheap rate.
That's easy to do if you have more than 1 cable provider is your area. Most people only have 1 cable provider and the other is FIOS. It would be easy if both were cable but when cable comes to install they cut the fiber line inside the apartment and run their coax. When FIOS comes to install they cut the coax line inside the apartment and install the fiber.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Its not that they don't want to google it I believe that most people want someone else to do the leg work for them. for instance I had a friend that asked me why her TV don't work when she turn it on all it does is do a clicking sound. I purposely didn't answer her for a week then finally google it and in 5 minutes I found out it was faulty capacitors on the power supply needed to be replaced and the OEM will do it for free since it was a known issue in that TV model.

Eventually
But ill prolong it as much as possible lol

That's easy to do if you have more than 1 cable provider is your area. Most people only have 1 cable provider and the other is FIOS. It would be easy if both were cable but when cable comes to install they cut the fiber line inside the apartment and run their coax. When FIOS comes to install they cut the coax line inside the apartment and install the fiber.
You will get older. If your income rises you get comfortable. My wife and I every year do an audit and try to add one percent more to savings and cut out or lower a cost. This exercise of cable bills was what we zeroed in on for 2020. In November we are switching cable companies and for 74 dollars getting offered higher internet speed and more channels including premium ones. Yes, I could have done more by going wireless. For my old ass it seemed to confusing and too much of a hassle to do more. Perhaps in 2021 we will be more savvy with options you might use. Also, for the poster who observed that some of us don't know how to do a Google search. Perhaps neither one of you considered that by starting this thread I got people with diverse points of views on so many topics to speak amicably to each other while discussing saving money. Just to share ideas.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Gosh and no disrespect, your posts adds nothing to the conversation. Google or other internet searches starts the research process. But each option that may seem promising may turn out to be a mere bait and switch. Sometimes it's helpful to hear what has actually worked for others. That's actually a service that this type of discussion can facilitate.
uh huh...
i provided no less than 3 alternatives for cheaper TV and wireless alternatives and i'm not contributing because I didn't call up the providers and have them connect their service for you.
or perhaps because i did not go to your house to hook up a roku or setup a plex server for you. right...

Old 09-29-2019, 08:28 PM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
I have to admit that at 65 it was a learning curve to go from charter to direct TV. At some point it may be too much trouble. I understand if you don’t have choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: