Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 09:13 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times

Advertisements

Uptown in Harlem, she throws a rose to some lucky young matador.
-Springsteen.

I guess it's official.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Default Is there a name for "Lower 2/3 of Manhattan"

No.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 AM

192 posts, read 118,504 times
Harlem is uptown. The 50s is mid town ( some people even call time square downton)

Old 09-20-2019, 04:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
No, there isn't a name for it, nor do we need one. We're usually pretty specific:
"My doctor's on the Upper East Side."
"I went to a play in the West Village last night."
"Do you have a favorite restaurant in the Theater District?"
"Did you know there's a new Trader Joe's in Murray Hill?

Old 09-20-2019, 05:01 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Coming up for a new name for the lower two-thirds of Manhattan in its entirety (separately from the upper one-third of the island) seems like it would just be reinventing the wheel.

There is absolutely nothing mystifying, misleading, or confusing about the neighborhood names uptown--Washington Heights, Inwood, Harlem, Hamilton Heights, Morningside Heights, Sugar Hill, and the rest--or the neighborhood names south, east, and west of Central Park, like Chinatown, Alphabet City, Chelsea, Turtle Bay, Lenox Hill, etc.

There are plenty of neighborhood names in Manhattan already and names do come and go. Sixty years ago people didn't speak of Battery Park City, Tribeca, Soho, Nolita, or Clinton. Even the East Village is a relatively new as neighborhood names go. And today how many people know where Bloomingdale or the Gashouse District or Five Points or San Juan Hill was? Not many.

Names changes when there is an organic need for them to change, and there just isn't a need that I can see to rename the lower two-thirds of the city.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:38 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Another thread started by someone who doesn't live here and has gone on far too long.

Yes, lower Manhattan as a name, and it is just that. Various areas have their own separate names (Soho, Tribeca, LES, West Village, East Village, etc....) but that's that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Manhattan

Some long winded post from some guy in Chicago rhapsodizing about what New Yorkers should call an area of Manhattan is funny.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:55 PM

325 posts, read 199,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
to me below 59th is downtown

then theres uws or ues

then harlem

thats it
Maybe if your from far uptown but mostly everybody calls below 59th midtown . 14th and lower is downtown

Old 09-22-2019, 10:08 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
Maybe if your from far uptown but mostly everybody calls below 59th midtown . 14th and lower is downtown
I semi disagree. I don’t consider anything “downtown” until we go below Canal. I agree with 59th to about 34th being mid town. I just call 14th Street to Canal The Village or SoHo depending where I am.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:46 AM

192 posts, read 118,504 times
the problem is that people that do not live in nY or that live isolated while in ny do not understand how t works.

Sure at some point in history the Upper west side was "uptown" and Harlem was it own thing but that haven't been the case for the last 80 years or so. Harlem is uptown, the concept of up and down just follows the grid.

The imaginary line separating upper (Harlem) and lower Manhattan (the city) (W110th, E96st) had a historical reason but has never been truly a thing. you could argue that certain municipal policies did in fact made that line a tangible thing at some point:

The fact that almost all avenues change name after reaching Harlem (eg: 8 av becomes FDB Ect).
the Zoning laws for Harlem were very different that from below 110th st.
and just the simple fact that real state agents made a big deal about that separation, specially on the east side.

but the true is that upper west and upper east are just "the sides" while Harlem is uptown.

With the recent changes in zoning laws Harlem will start looking more like the rest of the island, high raises are being built and gentrification is on full swing.

The central business district on NYC is downtown, and central park has become a big separator from north to south. Thats why uptown seems to be less integrated to downtown that some parts of Brooklyn and even Hoboken. Nothing will change that.

future development of Harlem and its commercial corridor at 125th st and the development of the South Bronx Waterfront will make uptown to be more like downtown.

Last edited by Snapshoot; 09-24-2019 at 07:59 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 07:50 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
tThe fact that almost all avenues change name after reaching Harlem (eg: 8 av becomes FDB Ect).
the Zoning laws for Harlem were very different that from below 110th st.
and just the simple fact that real state agents made a big deal about that separation, specially on the east side.
I find that super annoying. They should have renamed cross streets instead, or actually just given double names (like 6th ave is also Ave of the Americas). The avenue names should be the same from top to bottom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City