Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 12:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyc212 View Post
The conservatives seem to think that people can't do anything that doesn't align with their religious nut views. Any different?
It's not 1985 anymore, most right wingers are fine with atheists and there are many right wing atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 09:03 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Americans are fat because we consume more calories than we burn. It really isn’t more complicated than that. You can lose weight eating only twinkies as long as your overall caloric intake is less than you burn- and yes, a scientist went on a “Twinkie diet” to prove it’s possible- but your overall health will suffer because you are not getting the proper nutrients.

What *has*increased the obesity rate in the US is a more sedentary lifestyle combined with the high calorie intake from things like fast foods, which are way too readily available, and the portion sizes which often are nearly the entire caloric intake needed for one day but in ONE serving. For example a woman of my size should only take in a maximum of 1700 calories a day if I want to maintain my weight. Know what the calorie count is for a typical McD meal (Big Mac, medium fries, medium soda)? 1,160.

Also for anyone that has tried to lose weight, you know that seemingly little things, like an extra 50 calories from added sugar in a drink, absolutely add up. If you’re drinking an extra 50 calories (let’s say from chocolate milk) that you don’t need and you drink that every (day- without enough exercise to offset the additional calories you don’t really need- over the course of a year it’s possible to gain 3 pounds. 3 pounds may not seem like a lot but if you gain 3 pounds every year, you will eventually become overweight.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:45 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Americans are fat because we consume more calories than we burn. It really isn’t more complicated than that. You can lose weight eating only twinkies as long as your overall caloric intake is less than you burn- and yes, a scientist went on a “Twinkie diet” to prove it’s possible- but your overall health will suffer because you are not getting the proper nutrients.

What *has*increased the obesity rate in the US is a more sedentary lifestyle combined with the high calorie intake from things like fast foods, which are way too readily available, and the portion sizes which often are nearly the entire caloric intake needed for one day but in ONE serving. For example a woman of my size should only take in a maximum of 1700 calories a day if I want to maintain my weight. Know what the calorie count is for a typical McD meal (Big Mac, medium fries, medium soda)? 1,160.

Also for anyone that has tried to lose weight, you know that seemingly little things, like an extra 50 calories from added sugar in a drink, absolutely add up. If you’re drinking an extra 50 calories (let’s say from chocolate milk) that you don’t need and you drink that every (day- without enough exercise to offset the additional calories you don’t really need- over the course of a year it’s possible to gain 3 pounds. 3 pounds may not seem like a lot but if you gain 3 pounds every year, you will eventually become overweight.
I drink soda in moderation and I offset that by not eatimg huge portions, fried foods, milk, or deserts. I've never been overweight in my life.

Back in the day, there were soda and milkshake shops everywhere and people weren't buying single use water bottles. Yet the obesity epidemic didn't become visible until at least the 90s. So I think it's what you said about large portion sizes and lots of junk food coupled with sedentary lifestyle (which is even more common in the autocentric parts of the country).

Old 09-29-2019, 12:26 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Obviously that's a good way to raise your kids, but my overall point is that banning chocolate milk is a drop in the bucket. There are so many other foods offered in school cafeterias that are much higher in calories and not particularly healthy, like fried and breaded foods. There's no practical reason to ban chocolate milk in isolation except to pretend like you're doing something about unhealthy diets.

Do you know that NYC public schools barely have gym class anymore? They got rid of team sports a long time ago in most schools (competition is bad for fragile minds so they say). In a lot of schools kids just do home work in the 1-2 periods per week of gym class they do get, and recess often involves not even going outside.

They really should start with the pathetic state physical education instead of ill conceived bans
No gym classes, at a lot of NYC public schools? Or at least very little time devoted to gym? I agree with you that banning chocolate milk feels like only a drop in the bucket to ban, vs. the other food items that likely aren't yet banned(i.e. fried foods, and let's not forget about desserts loaded with sugar that have to be worse.....). Also, most chocolate milk that I've seen sold in stores, doesn't have HFCS in it. And for sure I make it a personal point to avoid items with high fructose corn syrup(HFCS) in it, as much as I can!

Old 09-29-2019, 06:04 PM

555 posts, read 617,464 times
when i was a kid i wouldn't drink white milk, would only drink chocolate milk. i think a lot of kids are picky eaters and will just forego milk alltogether.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:53 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Not so fast...

Members of Congress moooving to keep chocolate milk in NYC schools.

https://gothamist.com/news/members-o...in-nyc-schools

Old 03-17-2022, 03:55 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Oh yes heaven forbid the schools offer something fun for kids!

Sometimes chocolate milk is the best part of school lunch.

Old 03-17-2022, 04:04 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times
The NO FUN police are at it again. They won't be happy until everyone is as miserable as they are!

Old 03-18-2022, 05:34 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Thank God, with this ban, all of NYC's problems will be solved.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:05 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

Americans are fat because of the types of foods that they eat - it's not 100% about the calories.
Anything that spikes insulin will make one fat. Insulin - a growth hormone, is spiked when people consume anything made with white flour, sugar, and any other foods high on the glycemic index.

The worse thing anyone can do is combine anything made with white flour with proteins or fats. White flour turns into sugar rapidly in the bloodstream and makes one hungry in about two hours when a drop in blood sugars occur. Even worse, the white flour and protein/fats turn into highly oxidative "Advanced Glycation End Products" or AGE. These are little proteins that travel up and down a person's blood, creating insulin spikes even when they're not eating. Once these little protein particles reach the brain, they get stuck and turn into amyloids causing forgetfulness, and other deteriorating symptoms. One cannot even fast when they have high blood sugars. They get angry and hungry. On a correct diet, one can fast for up to a week without getting hungry or experiencing mood swings.

The mentality of using the gym to get rid of obesity is one that needs to be changed. Although I've never been overweight, I had the mentality myself since my early 20's until later, I began to experience chronic inflammation and symptoms of a leaky gut. I then changed my diet - got rid of all the man-made GMO's - which include white bread, and the symptoms went away, plus I don't have to use the gym to control weight. Using the gym is highly recommended for a mentality of strength building and longevity - not for losing weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: