Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 08:44 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What if you have a walk-up, what then? Just curious.

I live two flights up with no elevator. Let's say I have 3 full bags, a gallon of milk and a hugh bag of laundry. I move as much of it from my car to my apt door, taking inside the door. I return for the rest and there it is- at the bottom of the steps.

From there it depends on the day and how strong I am (or how exhausted I am). Full of energy... I carry two bags in one hand, one in the other- the milk is balanced somehow. I might manage the laundry with the one bag. But more often, I put the bags on the step above me and then move myself up behind them. Move bags, move myself.

On days I am not strong (especially times when I bad a broken leg!)... I put the bags on the steps and sit down below. Move the bags, scoot myself up.

Get up the 14 steps, walk to end of short hallway.

There are times when I've had kind neighbors move the groceries up for me
Like the time a round can rolled down the stairs and exasperatingly I yelled out help! And the neighbor from next door heard me and came over and moved my groceries. What a blessing!

There are time I deliberately purchase lightely. I wanted a full gallon of milk yesterday and with my left leg extra sore, I knew not to buy much. I doubled up on the paper bag put the milk inside with two other small items and move the bag up in front of me. Sometimes you do what you have to do.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 09-24-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 05:56 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Okay, but is that cost effective? Don't the delivery people get pissed off? It seems like it would be a real hassle for them. Do you tip them?
It's pretty standard in NYC for neighborhood grocery stores to deliver. Once a week shopping, once a week delivery. Why would they get pissed off ? It's their job.
Of course I tip them.
Cost effective ? Depends on how you look at it. I generally give them $5.00 and they are quite happy. It's very cost effective for me.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:49 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
No, it is not "almost trolling." Ugh.

If you had to make more than one trip, would your stuff be safe downstairs?

I would not know because I have not experienced it.

I bet you don't know everything about how to live where I currently live either.
How do you currently live???

Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Well---it depends on your building. In my building, no one would take it.

If you actually have an elevator, some buildings have a shopping cart in the basement for you to use. Mine does and I usually roll it to my car, throw all of my bags in and bring it up to my apartment in one trip.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:15 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
People who live in such buildings don't usually do large grocery trips that will cover them for several weeks. Since it's a city with a lot of stores everywhere, you're more likely to pick up several items on the way to and from something because that's relatively convenient. You realize that you forgot some small household items here or there? You go downstairs and get it or you order it online.

SeventhFloor showed you a cart that's pretty common for people to do larger hauls. Some buildings have carts and elevators.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:27 AM

453 posts, read 345,342 times
Multiple small shops to avoid having to lug tons of bags at once, and forget about cases of water. No need, NYC has some of the best tap water in the country.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:09 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
Multiple small shops to avoid having to lug tons of bags at once, and forget about cases of water. No need, NYC has some of the best tap water in the country.
This is only true if the pipes in the building is good. there is a reason why that white water filter turns brown after a while

Old 09-25-2019, 03:21 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Thinking about getting a pied a Terre in NYC, and since I don't live in a high rise currently, I have lots of questions - like:

How do you get large quantities of stuff upstairs?
Say you have an Uber or Lyft take you to and from the grocery store and you stock up on stuff - you might have 4-6 bags of groceries, cases of water, etc.
You can get all of this in the car, but then what? How do you manage to get it ALL upstairs? What are the methods and procedures?

Thank you!
There's no magic to it. But if you're rich enough to squander money on Uber for groceries, offer the driver a big tip to help you carry things up.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
I stop in at either trader joes or whole food several times a week buy 2 bags worth of groceries, take them on the train home with me and then take them up to my apartment. This seems like common sense, u carry what you can carry or you order amazon, pea pod, fresh direct etc. Seriously where do you come from?

And if your questioning how much it is to use delivery services or tipping then this city isnt for you!
Its not like the burbs when you get all your errands done in a hour or two. Your appointment may be downtown, you may shop on the east side, meet your friend on the west side, have to go uptown to get a package, to midtown to run another errand,etc etc etc

Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Simple, buy what you can carry up the stairs with your own arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City