Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 12:22 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,674,176 times

Advertisements

Yeah. Give the old people/the people in wheelchairs/the women pushing strollers a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM

36,986 posts, read 39,007,716 times
Keep the stops, but having more frequent bus service including additional express / limited stop bus service with bus lanes and traffic signal priority is probably best. Taking away stops right now is generally silly.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:46 PM

1,486 posts, read 978,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Yeah. Give the old people/the people in wheelchairs/the women pushing strollers a break.
Ill give them a break when they pay the fare just like I do. Old people with rolling walkers and people in wheelchairs do not pay the fair. They get on the bus, demands a seat and never pay the fare.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:10 PM

7,893 posts, read 7,798,734 times
Leave it be. You got options

Old 09-29-2019, 08:25 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,323,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Keep the stops, but having more frequent bus service including additional express / limited stop bus service with bus lanes and traffic signal priority is probably best. Taking away stops right now is generally silly.
I almost never take buses (because they all tend to be awful) but I agree that more lines (and maybe during rush hour) should have limited stops.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:15 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,579,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I almost never take buses (because they all tend to be awful) but I agree that more lines (and maybe during rush hour) should have limited stops.
What I never understood when I was younger was why people took the bus in Manhattan when there was a subway for example on Broadway when you had the subway beneath you. Or take a bus on the Grand Concourse when the D Train ran below it given the traffic.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:29 AM

507 posts, read 687,859 times
..uhh not on the grand concourse, third ave,melrose..and 149st going east/west.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:26 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,323,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
What I never understood when I was younger was why people took the bus in Manhattan when there was a subway for example on Broadway when you had the subway beneath you. Or take a bus on the Grand Concourse when the D Train ran below it given the traffic.
My parents never go to the city but one time I got them to go for something and trying to figure out a route that got them there with the least amount of step climbing due to health problems is reason enough to see why people avoid subways when they can. They had to take the stairs up and down by where they live because they had no choice---no escalators or elevators in their area at all where the trains are---the bus is one step.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 AM

12,746 posts, read 8,202,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Some people don't like taking the subway because they have mobility problems, and the subways aren't exactly that handicapped accessible. For others they don't care about the bus taking longer. They feel safer. If you are going long distances, yes the subway makes sense, but sometimes if backtracking is involved it may not.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:51 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,674,176 times
Man, I hope some of you all never get treated when you're old the way you treat old people now. Who the f*** begrudges Dottie Smith, age 82, retired from a lifetime of garment-district work and raising her kids, half a bus fare so that she can continue to live independently (which, btw, is a LOT cheaper for the taxpayer than in-home care would be)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: