Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Resurrecting this thread to find out more on the topic. I'm looking for an area (even if it's just one or two streets) which has a fairly plentiful amount of Japanese-owned businesses - markets, convenience stores, etc., with signs and displays in Japanese. I'd prefer it to be in one of the five boroughs, but am also intrigued by the previous post which mentioned Westchester County. I would need specific locales and streets to find - this is for a short digital media project. The area would play an important role as backdrop to Japanese characters. Anyone know where I should look for this? NJ okay, too, but prefer NY.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
There are still a good number of Japanese in Ft. Lee, they make up about 6% of the population, but I think Koreans make up close to 25%. The largest Japanese store in the NYC area is in neighboring Edgewater, so I think that keeps a lot of Japanese in the area.

There are a lot of younger Japanese in the East Village around St. Mark's Place and 9th street. There are a good number of Japanese bars and restaurants in this area.

The other large concentration of Japanese in the NYC is in Westchester county. This is because there is decent sized Japanese language high school outside of White Plains, so there is a good number of Japanese living in the surrounding suburban towns. In Westchester County there are also a good number of Japanese owned and run markets and restaurants which caters to the expat population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
Definitely St. Marks, though there are Japanese businesses scattered all over Midtown east of Broadway and south of 57th street.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Haven't posted in a while, but couldn't resist.

Not too many real concentrations like Korea Town in Manhattan or Chinatown, however you'll find them scattered in certain areas. For the younger crowd a lot of Japanese in their 20s/30s hang around the east village by St. Mark's Place and the surrounding streets (I think 9th street has a grocery store). You'll find a good number of japanese restaurants, bars, etc.

The other main concentration is in Midtown near Grand Central station. Lots of Japanese businessmen work in the area and many live in Westchester county so they use Metro-North. So in this area you'll find a couple of Japanese bars and a bunch of pretty good restaurants.

Then there is a scattering around Westchester county, mostly in the wealthier towns. White Plains, Hartsdale, Scarsdale, Tuckahoe all have a decent showing of japanese grocery stores and restaraunts.

Of course there is also Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ. That is by far the largest Japanese store in the NYC metro area. Its like a large Japanese grocery store/upscale food court (comparable to what you'd find in the basement of Asian department stores, not like an American food court). So its good if you're looking to buy some Japanese items and get a really authentic & good Japanese meal for under $10.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:03 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,209 times
Astoria has a lot of shopping for Japanese products and foods as well. I have a friend from Japan who lives here now. He lived in Astoria and when we hang out sometimes, we meet up in the St. Marks Place area. Funny thing is, even though we go to the restaurants and shops in the area, I had no idea that it was known for a large Japanese population or as a Japanese hang out spot. Pretty cool.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:15 AM

30 posts, read 53,192 times
i know theres koreans in manhattan but i have no idea if japanese people have a special area...koreans live near koreatown and near colleges where they attend

Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 AM

30 posts, read 53,192 times
also i live in white plains and theres a large japanese population in hartsdale and scarsdale the koreans i know in westchester are so scattered like yonkers or conneticut

Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
St. Marks/9th Street. But its really just a collection of business and Japanese patrons who visit them - restaurants, some bars, etc.

Not really a 'community' of Japanese people living there or anything like that though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City