Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 01:51 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times

Advertisements

I think in the older days (say, at least in the 1940s and 1950s, if not somewhat later as well . . . or so I think), there was a sizable-enough Jewish population living in Inwood. When my parents first got married, their first apartment together was in Inwood. The day I was born in the early 1950s, they were living in Inwood and later moved to the outer boroughs and then to Long Island.

NOTE: Located in Inwood, you will find 2 or 3 blocks worth of single-family detached standlone homes wih the traditional look of a standalone home (i.e, detached standalone homes with a triangular-shaped roof, a front yard, side yards, and a back yard . . . rather than being brownstones or townhouses). It is the only place in Manhattan proper (other than Gracie Mansion, the NYC Mayor's official residence) where you can find such home types.

Below is from a posting I submitted on 12/15/2015 to another C-D.com NYC thread titled "Memories of Inwood (1940's) about this subject:

Do you know that, in Inwood (Manhattan), you can find the ONLY single-family detached homes in all of Manhattan that have the traditional look an layout of traditional single-family detached homes rather than being brownstones or townhouses (i.e., having a triangular- or pyramid-shape type of roof, having a front yard, side yards, and back yard, et al). There is a block or two blocks in Inwood that all or nearly all consists of these traditional-type single-family detached homesj. Certainly, one can find such homes in ALL the surrounding boroughs of New York City outside Manhattan (as well as all the areas outside New York City proper, of course) but to find such homes as these in Manhattan at all is an extreme aberration from the norm and a rarity. Though quite small homes, the fact that such homes even exist at all anywhere in Manhattan is very very standout-ish. They must be worth quite a bit of money (probably over a million each . . . just because they are in Manhattan). What is the old saying?: " Location, location, location!"

I think the referenced houses are in the Park Terrace West & 217th St. vicinity, as well as on Payson Ave., in the Inwood neighborhood of Manhattan. Here are some of the referenced traditional-type single-family detached houses in Inwood (flick through the selection of pictures on Flickr.com by clicking in the arrows):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/2115818512

Last edited by UsAll; 09-28-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 02:14 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I like Inwood. There are some nice parks up there.

But the commute to midtown or downtown for work from there is just too long.
The commute to Midtown on the A express train is around forty minutes. That's better than the vast majority of Brooklyn to Midtown. It's just shy of an hour to downtown. Technically, the area also has another speedy transport option due to the University Heights Metro-North station to the east and the Marble Hill Metro-North station to the north, but it's a bit more expensive and less frequent. An integrated regional rail plan would do wonders for the area (and for the entire city). If that were ever to happen,

Aside from the parks and the Cloisters within Inwood, another thing I especially liked was going over the GW bridge to Fort Lee for Korean food and also making trips up to Kingsbridge and Riverdale.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-28-2019 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-28-2019, 02:22 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
My place of birth and favorite place to visit growing up...1803 Riverside Drive. I was actually born in Washington Heights to a Payson Ave. address. But Grandmothers at 1803 Riverside Drive was headquarters of the bunch for over 50 years. And Grandmother was the local Tammany Hall contact. Grandpa was an engineer/surveyor for the City of NY. He was an air raid warden in WW2. Remember our Aunt reading to us in the hall closet during the black out.

First place I ever went fishing was on the dock at the end of Dyckman street. It was pretty much a derelict back then though it looks like it might have been fixed up since. Fascinated with catching eels . We loved Fort Tryon and Inwood Hill Parks.
Nice! I was born in the Jewish memorial hospital over in the 190s. I think there’s a school there now

Old 09-28-2019, 02:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Nice! I was born in the Jewish memorial hospital over in the 190s. I think there’s a school there now
My Aunt from 1803 Riverside actually married a Jewish guy from the next building on Riverside. They moved on to central Long Island. I lived with them my last year of high school.

I actually lived in 1803 for some months in 1957. I have lived in a few places in NYC...Inwood, 242nd in the Bronx, Kew Gardens Hills and even did a half a year at the 10X and Broadway. Spent my college years there riding the subway.

Still fond of Inwood. The apartment on Riverside was converted and owned for a long time by one of my cousins. He has however since sold it.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:56 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Forgotten NY has two good "walk" series on Inwood:

https://forgotten-ny.com/2010/01/inwood-manhattan/

https://forgotten-ny.com/2013/06/fro...herman-inwood/

Old 09-28-2019, 09:37 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
East of Broadway in Inwood is mostly commercial is it not? Have not been up there in a while

I do remember the Mama Juana Cafe though. Phew the hostess there certainly had the mostess. By good she must have been responsible for like 90% of their business.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:08 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
East of Broadway in Inwood is mostly commercial is it not? Have not been up there in a while

I do remember the Mama Juana Cafe though. Phew the hostess there certainly had the mostess. By good she must have been responsible for like 90% of their business.
Broadway, Dyckman and 207th are the main commercial corridors. Plenty of residential east of Broadway. Not nearly as nice as west of Broadway though in terms of the housing stock.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:46 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,029,446 times
The housing stock east of broadway is pretty old - complete with sagging floors, creaking boards and just overall grimy.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:56 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
The housing stock east of broadway is pretty old - complete with sagging floors, creaking boards and just overall grimy.
Part of the issue is that when you have tenants on programs, there is no incentive to make upgrades, nor any real money, and so it goes.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5QMdGqqD8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City