Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 03:10 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

I've had elderly relatives who had substantial savings and who lived in homes. With a stroke they had to be put in nursing home, and of course the nursing home expenses eventually took care of those savings. Medicaid had to be applied.

'

And there goes your "Medicare For All". At their age they are Medicare eligible and yet substantial costs weren't absorbed under that plan. Yet people think that you can tripe the size of Medicare and make it work.

The only expenses that Medicare wouldn't have covered would have been custodial care (the home attendant). The high costs of this sent Medicare running.

Folks really need to put the blame where it lies. Delivering healthcare in the USA is many times more expensive than it is just across the border in Canada. Until we address this fact it doesn't matter what mechanisms we use to pay for this care.

Hospital CEOs in NYC where the hospitals are all nonprofit, can earn as much as $7Million. We all end up paying for this as we do for those doctors who subject their patients to unnecessary procedures, either to reduce the risk of being sued, or to increase how much they can bill Medicare/Medicaid/private insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 05:47 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Still waiting to see the posts where people belittled those on legit disability.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-11-2019, 06:41 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Someone can correct me if I am wrong (I am not on the administrative side of medicine, but on the practice side), but I believe both ordinary healthcare insurance plans and Medicare Supplement plans have out of pocket maximum, meaning that you cannot be required to pay more than the annual deductible, if you get all your medical care inside the insurance network of medical providers.

People on Medicare get wiped out by not purchasing a supplemental plan which covers the costs beyond Medicare maximum coverage, or by getting health care outside of their insurance network, for which their insurance does not reimburse fully or does not reimburse at all (if the medical problem was not emergent). In every other situation, your liability to pay is only your deductible. A person with cancer will not necessarily be financially wiped out - in fact, the great majority of people with cancer do not get wiped out.

I travel a lot, so I buy annual travel insurance which covers me for all of my trips during 365 days. It pays up to half a million $ for transporting me from anywhere on the planet into my home health network, where all expenses above the $7,500 deductible are covered by my insurance. If I get cancer, the cost of it for me would be $7,500 per year for a year or two or three, which to me is affordable. So yes, with proper planning, everyone can avoid financial wipeout from medical expenses.

Nursing home is another story - that will indeed eat up all the assets if it is required for extended time. The solution for me, if I need it, will be a nursing home abroad.

US healthcare costs can be fixed only if everyone contributes healthcare premium into the common insurance pool (like in Western European countries, where almost nobody is exempt from paying a national healthcare insurance contribution). A healthcare system in which half of the population gets a completely free care, without ever contributing funds into the insurance pool, cannot possibly cover 100% of all (or even most) medical expenses for everyone, because such a system cannot possibly collect enough funds from people who do pay their healthcare insurance premiums.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Hassidic Jews stay anywhere, even in the middle of black neighborhoods

It is hard to answer any comment without someone accusing someone of racial profiling, so I hope my comment is not taken as such: I have been told by several people that most Hassidic Jewish people do not work, and most of them are on the City Payroll, aka welfare, so it must be difficult for them to move away with so many children, in a city where housing is at a premium.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:58 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Sasie, they don’t legally marry their wives so that the wives and kids can get benefits.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-12-2019, 08:50 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
It is hard to answer any comment without someone accusing someone of racial profiling, so I hope my comment is not taken as such: I have been told by several people that most Hassidic Jewish people do not work, and most of them are on the City Payroll, aka welfare, so it must be difficult for them to move away with so many children, in a city where housing is at a premium.
Plenty of hasidic and other ultra-Orthodox Jews work.
There are some that study Torah instead of work (the men); in many of these families the women work though. Some of the women are more highly educated than the men.
In some families, though, they do depend on public assistance.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:52 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Plenty of hasidic and other ultra-Orthodox Jews work.
There are some that study Torah instead of work (the men); in many of these families the women work though. Some of the women are more highly educated than the men.
In some families, though, they do depend on public assistance.
My coworker told me that Adorama (a popular camera store in Manhattan) is run by Hassids
And a lot of Hassids are landlords

Old 10-12-2019, 07:11 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sasie, they don’t legally marry their wives so that the wives and kids can get benefits.
Wow!!!! I was not aware of that. That is called raping the system. I do know that they usually vote for the political system that gives them the most benefits.........

Old 10-12-2019, 07:25 PM

201 posts, read 85,108 times
Quote:
They probably pool all of their EBT cards to buy groceries in bulk to keep buying enough inventory to open and operate their own grocery stores.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Still waiting to see the posts where people belittled those on legit disability.
Go back and dig through the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City