Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
In Cali, I don’t see Mexicans really being heavily influenced by AA culture. They have their own coculture going on there and if anything I see Cali and Texas Mexicans gravitating more towards Anglo over African American culture:

In NYC and NJ I could see Mexicans assimilate more towards African American culture (as well as PR/DR culture)
You don't notice Chicanos in California saying the N word or wearing Jordans? It seems to be common throughout the whole state, and in Texas even more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 08:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
You don't notice Chicanos in California saying the N word or wearing Jordans? It seems to be common throughout the whole state, and in Texas even more so.
Not so much actually. I remember being surprised when I moved to NYC how much more AA-influenced latinos are here.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not so much actually. I remember being surprised when I moved to NYC how much more AA-influenced latinos are here.
How many years ago was that? I'm not saying all of the Chicanos in California act black, but it seems to be pretty common.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
How many years ago was that? I'm not saying all of the Chicanos in California act black, but it seems to be pretty common.
A decade ago, but I go back fairly often.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:47 PM

91 posts, read 79,413 times
Quote:
Tho some may disagree, I dont think saying the N word is really "black american culture" no more, it originated as that in black communities, but at this point its really just urban ghetto culture. Hip Hop, which is nowadays listened to by basically all races and people from many different areas, has turned some things that were originally "just black" (and looked down upon)- into something "cool" for all races including the N word. You got whiteboys in Oklahoma saying it, its not a sign of real black influence in 2019, becuz acting ghetto and tryna be cool is not synonymous with black.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:54 PM

91 posts, read 79,413 times
Puerto Ricans do get along with Black Americans (keyword) more than other Latinos. However I think Latinos overall get along more with Caribbean blacks.

Also, just cuz Ricans and black americans got along , more than other latinos did with them, doesn't mean the relationship was all peaches n cream. Many times the 2 groups would blend, sometimes they didn't. People seem to forget in the 1980s, 90s, and early 2000s, in Rikers Island and many NY hoods, Rican gangs and black gangs went to war, especially Latin Kings and Bloods.

Also, this Rican and black bond is more so a NY thing, the groups do get along and blend in other cities, but alot less. In cities like Philadelphia and Chicago, Puerto Ricans and Black Americans heavily segregated themselves from each other.

I haven't noticed a major difference in black/latino relations in NY, from 20 years, just alot more diverse and safer ghettos less gang war bullsh!t

Old 10-03-2019, 11:44 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
all depends from what project one grew up in. even the whites would get along with everyone , bonded by being POOR!

Folks get along to an extent. Although NYC aint Philly or Cities in California, NYC still has its segregation. Said it before, White over here, Latino in the middle, and Black over here, that is how it is still , after so many years.

Salvis and other Central Americans see no issue with moving to a mostly black hood, and get other Salvis to move nearby. Extended families, etc. All Getting along to an extent, as not being malicious to neighbors, but deep down, every one has something to say about the other.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:45 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
I don't think it's "waning". Outside of some Puerto Ricans, it wasn't "that strong" to begin with. That whole thing is overplayed. Remember the whole "mejorar la raza" mentality that exists in Latino culture, and that doesn't involve black people. That saying exists for a reason.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A decade ago, but I go back fairly often.
Oh okay, if you've been recently then you know more than I do. But do you observe/interact with young people (under 30) when you're there?

Here's an example of what I was talking about. While I wouldn't say these guys sound black (though this is a formal setting so who knows), most of them have haircuts that are very obviously inspired by black hairstyles despite having opposite hair texture. And this is Boyle Heights, LA where there are hardly any black people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=148RcQ17Mzs

And based on that channel, it seems like it's been like that for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Tho some may disagree, I dont think saying the N word is really "black american culture" no more, it originated as that in black communities, but at this point its really just urban ghetto culture. Hip Hop, which is nowadays listened to by basically all races and people from many different areas, has turned some things that were originally "just black" (and looked down upon)- into something "cool" for all races including the N word. You got whiteboys in Oklahoma saying it, its not a sign of real black influence in 2019, becuz acting ghetto and tryna be cool is not synonymous with black.
I have to disagree. Hip hop culture is absolutely dictated by black Americans and I think that others copying it as a sign of black influence for sure.

Last edited by Foamposite; 10-04-2019 at 02:48 AM..

Old 10-04-2019, 05:42 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
This whole thing is just bogus.

Blacks and "Latinos" (which back in the day meant largely PR), were not some sort of natural allies or whatever. Often they lived in same areas only because of racism and other means of segregation forced people to live in close quarters. The old Lincoln Square area, parts of Harlem, East Village, LES and other areas come to mind.

In 1950's blacks flooded into NYC from the south and PRs came from their island to city; together both weren't exactly welcomed and thus found themselves (again) thrust into alliances or whatever more out of common necessity.

https://centropr.hunter.cuny.edu/cen...-new-york-city

However the "latino" make-up of NYC has changed over decades. PRs have moved up and out of ghettos and in many cases into "mainstream" or whatever white America. In many areas of city Hispanic-Latino is now dominated by Dominicans, Mexicans and increasingly Salvadorans. They don't have that same back story with blacks and as such relations between them are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City