Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 10:32 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times

Advertisements

true - carbs are mostly what makes you fat. But the bottom line is always the same for every diet ever :

weight loss or gain = calories burned - calories consumed

get your burn up (exercise) and calories down (cut sugar / increase protein)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 11:20 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
true - carbs are mostly what makes you fat. But the bottom line is always the same for every diet ever :

weight loss or gain = calories burned - calories consumed

get your burn up (exercise) and calories down (cut sugar / increase protein)
I agree but I think part of it is that eating carbs and starches just spikes your blood sugar, so even though you're eating a lot of calories in a sitting once the sugar burns off you're feeling hungry again, so you eat more carbs to fill up and the vicious cycle continues.

With low-carb style diets you're relegated to consuming mostly fats and proteins which fill you up, blood sugar remains more steady, and you continue to feel full and therefore are inclined to eat fewer calories overall.

Casting aside the arguments about what portion of your diet should be fat/protein, I think that's largely why extremely overweight people find quicker success on low carb plans than on calorie-counting diets, where you have to more carefully moderate the balance between carbs/fat/protein to ensure you're not overeating your daily allowance which can happen if you don't make good choices.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:23 PM

139 posts, read 151,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
For example, I have a heavy friend that started training to run the nyc marathon. She lost several pounds but was still what would be considered “heavy” by the time of the race. Another friend, who is also heavy was confused and didn’t understand why she wasn’t “skinny” given all the training she was doing. The reason is because she likely did not monitor her calorie intake and was probably eating more because she was exercising a lot more. Her goal though wasn’t to be “skinny”, it was really to accomplish completing a marathon. I’m not denying that you can be heavy and fit (football players and wrestlers often are) but if you want to weigh less, you have to burn more calories than you consume.
I think this is a common misconception. People think if you're running marathons you're automatically going to lose weight. But if you run that much you will also be HUNGRY so it is very easy to gain extra weight when marathon training. Doubly so if you run and then 'treat' yourself after every run.

I think a lot of problems with overeating have to do with not eating fiber and eating empty carbs like a lot of bread and pasta. I'm always hungry after eating any kind of white bread/cereal/pasta and feel bloated after eating too much, I switched to eating things like lentils and other high-fiber foods and it's much easier to not overeat doing that.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:37 PM

5,096 posts, read 4,956,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
As much as I hate...... I cut sugar out of my diet a few months back and dropped 20 lbs.
I cut out sodas,and sugar filled snacks. No longer put sugar in my coffee. I drink more
water and do not use any sugar substitute. That is dangerous requiring no explanation.
Your body utilizes and processes foods differently when younger. You must change along
with your age and monitor the process as you move forward including changing what you eat.
Why did it take you so long to fig this out so late in life???

Old 10-14-2019, 10:54 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well there are your answers. People love processed food. People can cook more at home and buy organic, but they think that's rubbish, so you are what you eat. I have been the same waist size since high school... I wonder what it could be? Let's see.... I eat organic. (buy plenty of store brand that is reasonably priced).. Lots of fruits and veggies... Outside of a teaspoon or two in my espresso, no sugary drinks regularly, etc.
You carry with you the point of view from a lower middle class background. That background assumes everyone is eating processed foods. In addition, there is an entitlement point of view. Organic foodstuffs cost double other veggies. Not everyone has the budget for that. Lastly, you assume your body has something to do with your eating. What if it you just won the genetic lottery? Correlation vs. Causation.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Exactly its all the processed food that is killing us and giving us health issues. Look at people 50 years ago from now when they whole grocery store wasn't processed.....I don't get why people don't understand this. Its simple eat real food.
50 years ago? That would be 1969 when tv dinners were all the rage.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyc212 View Post
I eat real food. I cook all my dinners. My lunches are mostly salads. I do eat some things I should cut down on (honey on my plain greek yogurt, a banana every day - these things are "fattening" but real food.) I still carry extra weight. So it's really a generalization to say that everyone who is overweight is a bad eater.

The fact is - you DON'T KNOW. Maybe someone is on medications that cause weight gain. Maybe it's genetics.

I know people who are "large" and have swam the English Channel BACK AND FORTH. These people have fitness that is mind boggling. And they might take up more than one seat on the subway.
Yup. The genetic lottery winners think its a virtue to be able to eat TWICE as much food as people who are "thick" and then criticize other people's eating habits.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
In order to shed weight you have to *consistently* burn more calories than you eat. That means calorie counting and carefully monitoring what you take in and also burn. An all organic salad can have 800+ calories depending on what’s in it.
One how is the calorie burned measured? Isn't it just guessed? What if some people burn more calories than others even if their activity level is the same?

Also, not all calories are burned the same way. Not all calories stimulate the same processes; this is why protein is different from carbs is different from fat. Not all fats are the same either.

Quote:
If 3500 calories equals a pound, you must burn the equivalent of 3500 calories consistently if you want to drop extra weight. If you are not monitoring the amount of calories you’re taking in on a regular basis and making sure it’s LESS than what you’re burning, no matter how much swimming across the English Channel you’re doing, you’re not going to lose weight.
If that were true, then how do you account for people eating 1200 calories a day, working out 3-4 days a week who are fat. You know, they really do exist.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I call bullshyt on this one. Are you 100% certain of the daily, weekly and monthly total caloric intake of the overweight vs skinny people? Are you also factoring the amount of calories burdened by the overweight vs skinny people? Loosing weight is a precise measurement of calories in vs calories out. The problem is that people always miscalculate the amount of calories they consume vs what they’ve burned! How many calories does one think are in that salad they just made vs how many calories are really in that salad they just made... you also have to be consistent with the calorie deficiency. People get lazy and cheat. It’s really hard to be consistent with the process over time. That’s why “fad” diets work so well for short term weight loss at least. They are really just tricks to help you manage what you’re eating and lessen caloric intake. If your diet doesn’t allow you to eat simple carbs or dairy (like breads and white rice and cheese and sour cream) well that burrito you usually eat for lunch just turned into a salad bowl and is 500 calories less than what you’ve been eating normally.
I call BS on you. Again how do you calculate how much someone can burn? Do you know some people can eat 800 calories a day and not lose weight. You know why? Because some people don't burn at the same rate as other. If it were as simple as ya'll think, then everyone who ever went on a diet would lose weight.

You assume people are lazy or cheating. What if they aren't cheating? What if despite doing everything right, they aren't losing. And you are right: it's really hard to be consistent with a calorie deficiency if you do it for several months straight, with zero cheating and you don't lose weight, or you plateau very early. And that happens. And then ya'll make it about lack of will power rather than what it really is, some kind of masochism. Because if it isn't working, then it isn't working. Doing more of what isn't working doesn't suddenly make it work.

What really cracks me up, is the examples of the people defending this prejudice of theirs. In each and every example of what they call a healthy, low calorie meal, they eat more calories than I do with almost all of my meals. They would probably collapse on my diet or die of starvation.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromageball View Post
I think this is a common misconception. People think if you're running marathons you're automatically going to lose weight. But if you run that much you will also be HUNGRY so it is very easy to gain extra weight when marathon training. Doubly so if you run and then 'treat' yourself after every run.

I think a lot of problems with overeating have to do with not eating fiber and eating empty carbs like a lot of bread and pasta. I'm always hungry after eating any kind of white bread/cereal/pasta and feel bloated after eating too much, I switched to eating things like lentils and other high-fiber foods and it's much easier to not overeat doing that.
I think a lot of problems with diets is the formulaic idea that what works for some, works for others. We all have different bodies folk. Some are ectomorphs, some are endomorphs. Those have a different distribution of muscle, fat. Some have the capacity to get really big when working out, and some will never have large muscles. Some are tall, some are short. Some have high cholesterol. Some have high testosterone. Some have out of whack estrogen. Some have hashimotos, or thyroid. Some are born with diabetes.

So with all these variables, how can one formula work for all? The answer is it doesn't. If there really was an answer, everyone would be thin because I can guarantee, every person who has a little extra, or a lot extra, has been on a diet, and been strict about it, only for it to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City