Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 07:00 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
My impression is that NYC workers do indeed tend to work longer hours in a more stressful workplace than in most other cities.
I agree as far as the pace. Add in the hellish commute in most cases and it's a long, long day.

The flip side of the crappy compensation here is that no one flips if you're five minutes late, people are willing to fill in for you, and there's much much leeway on how you dress. Most places are smaller, too, and will work out problems that would get you fired in a bigger place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 09:12 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I agree as far as the pace. Add in the hellish commute in most cases and it's a long, long day.

The flip side of the crappy compensation here is that no one flips if you're five minutes late, people are willing to fill in for you, and there's much much leeway on how you dress. Most places are smaller, too, and will work out problems that would get you fired in a bigger place.
^some good points.

In the city, people understand that you're not lying when you say the bus or train was late. They know how great it is on the days when the bus or train is NOT late.

I said upthread that for the last few years, I worked some hours from hell. I was salaried, so there was no overtime.

But, not long after the madness of the last project had ended (I remember that June having three days off--three Saturdays, that was, worked all 27 other days in the month) my mother went into heart failure and required a quadruple bypass, at 86.

I went into my boss and told I would be taking off the entire next week to sit at the hospital, and that I was calling in time from all those late hours and weekends I'd worked.

She said without hesitation, "Of course. Your mother comes first". Nothing was charged to vacation time, and any work I had was handled by my staff. I never even got so much as a call or an email.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
We have one co-worker that takes their vacation days, but he is much older than me and has a wife and kids, and family back in Europe. They spend about several weeks each year in Europe (they are European). I can't think of anyone else that takes all of them in any of our offices. With me I was lucky enough to go and travel extensively at a pretty young age in my 20s. I spent months at a time just traveling, so that probably has something to do with why it's not such a big deal for me. I don't think too many people get that opportunity. When I came back to the States, my focus was on building my professional career. I think as I get older and once I purchase a place, maybe then I will look to take more time, but I don't feel like I'm missing much. There are days where I go and take extended lunches. If my work environment wasn't so relaxed, I would feel compelled to take vacations (in other words several a year compared to what I do now), but I'm only extremely busy where I have really tight deadlines for a few months out of the year. Outside of that, I can pretty much work at my own pace. I have traveled to over 50 different cities. If anything, I think what I've been thinking about is splitting my time living between Europe and NYC when I get older, so my focus is on that, and yes, I have been thinking about working exclusively for myself as in running my own business.
Always take your vacation days. Taking vacation doesn’t mean you have to travel. You can take “PTO” -personal time off - and just enjoy a long weekend here and there. You can take a “staycation” and enjoy time doing things for you, not them, etc.

Remember, these companies owe you nothing. Unless you own your own business, “they” will always be in it for “them” and not think twice about a reduction in workforce for their benefit. It doesn’t matter how much you love what you do, you’re doing it for THEM. It’s THEIR company, THEIR product, THEIR bottom line...

I don’t say this as some disgruntled worker, quite the opposite. I’m highly paid, in management, and have an extremely relaxed office environment, including a liberal work from home policy, and wonderful and fun coworkers. Yet I know the corporate game. I’ll play it, but that means I’ll also take MY time off and spend it as I please.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:49 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Jesus. Sounds like some of you have it rough out there.

I had long hours and a lot of stress in the private sector but luckily found a good federal job. Pay was less when I first started but ten years later I make six figures, get a month vacation a year plus holidays (I’m off today for Columbus Day lol), sick days, flex time, work from home more than half the time, transit paid for for days I do need to come in and I can actually get in trouble FOR working past my time to leave. The job security is rock solid if you’re good at your job.

I also get a decent pension. I’m maxing out my retirement savings and plan to take an early out at 51, when I’ll have 20 years in. Pension, plus pay out and they will pay what I’d get from Social Security until I get real SS at 62. Should amount to about $65k per year adjusted each year for inflation.

The wife and I plan to move to Costa Rica.

My advice would be to gun in the private sector right out of school but once you want a family and an actual life, look into Government.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Always take your vacation days. Taking vacation doesn’t mean you have to travel. You can take “PTO” -personal time off - and just enjoy a long weekend here and there. You can take a “staycation” and enjoy time doing things for you, not them, etc.

Remember, these companies owe you nothing. Unless you own your own business, “they” will always be in it for “them” and not think twice about a reduction in workforce for their benefit. It doesn’t matter how much you love what you do, you’re doing it for THEM. It’s THEIR company, THEIR product, THEIR bottom line...

I don’t say this as some disgruntled worker, quite the opposite. I’m highly paid, in management, and have an extremely relaxed office environment, including a liberal work from home policy, and wonderful and fun coworkers. Yet I know the corporate game. I’ll play it, but that means I’ll also take MY time off and spend it as I please.
I don’t use all of my days, but I do use them. Between personal days, vacation days, optional days, etc., I think I have about a month of time I can use or more. I was off today and will taking several more days in the coming days and weeks, as this is the time of year that I enjoy the most. I hate the summertime, so I tend to work.

I had jury duty years ago for almost a month. Company paid me my regular salary the entire time, so while I realize some companies are cut throat, I’ve been fortunate enough to work at good ones that take care of their employees when they can. I’m in management also, and the more money I bring in, the more money I make, so I while it is “their company”, I still focus on the financials as it impacts my pockets too. There are several departments and I run one of them.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:26 PM

I have noticed one thing over the years.

When I’m in Europe and a European hears about someone having a good benefit, they say, “That’s great! I want that!”. Americans instead say, “I don’t get that! Why should you!?”

Thus why working in the US sucks. It’s a race to the bottom.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:07 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I have noticed one thing over the years.

When I’m in Europe and a European hears about someone having a good benefit, they say, “That’s great! I want that!”. Americans instead say, “I don’t get that! Why should you!?”

Thus why working in the US sucks. It’s a race to the bottom.
We live in a divide and conquer country. Resentment trumps all. Someone will be along in a second to prove it.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:43 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I've never understood this. Being a union man my entire adult life, I am on the receiving end of plenty of these comments. "Unions are scams that only protect the worst workers! I can do it all myself!" Oh yeah? Then how come I only had to do 20 years to retire with an awesome pension and you have to work your entire life to build up a 401k (hopefully) that you can live off of?

Every worker who actually works hard in a true adult industry (ie, not McDonald's) should be demanding a livable wage and good benefits. It's not my fault that you allow your corporate overlords to take most of the money you make them. Why should I suffer because other workers can't stand up for themselves?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-03-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I've never understood this. Being a union man my entire adult life, I am on the receiving end of plenty of these comments. "Unions are scams that only protect the worst workers! I can do it all myself!" Oh yeah? Then how come I only had to do 20 years to retire with an awesome pension and you have to work your entire life to build up a 401k (hopefully) that you can live off of?

Every worker who actually works hard in a true adult industry (ie, not McDonald's) should be demanding a livable wage and good benefits. It's not my fault that you allow your corporate overlords to take most of the money you make them. Why should I suffer because other workers can't stand up for themselves?
I can agree with this. Well over 70% of the profit a typical worker creates gets eaten up by the salaries of upper corporate management and share holders. The worker gets screwed.

The funny thing? Many Americans think of getting screwed over as being Patriotic. The corporations are loling all the way to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City