Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Western Crown Heights very much so with Franklin Ave solidly gentrified and Nostrand closing in. The shooting was somewhere on Utica Avenue though in the Weeksville section which is several blocks east of Nostrand.

One interesting thing is how much more gentrified Utica Avenue is when going north to the Stuyvesant Heights part of Bed-Stuy where Utica Avenue becomes Malcolm X Boulevard.
Not really, you can tell by the housing stock, it's better north of Fulton Street

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
dices? what game is that?
when i think underground gambling, i'm thinking card based games like hold em. really that's it.

Naaah, it was Contract Bridge. The Redoubled bid, DOWN 4, brought out the firearms.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:16 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Not really, you can tell by the housing stock, it's better north of Fulton Street
Are we saying the same thing as in Utica Avenue in Crown Heights has not gentrified while it has done so to a greater extent in Bed-Stuy?

Old 10-13-2019, 12:19 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are we saying the same thing as in Utica Avenue in Crown Heights has not gentrified while it has do so in Bed-Stuy?
Yes, thats correct

Some side streets off of Utica Avenue south of Fulton Street have nice limestone dwellings, and pre-war apartment buildings, but the majority of it is wood-frame aluminum siding houses, and new construction crap, especially north of Bergen Street (that actual building where this happened is a good example of what I'm talking about). Also a large NYCHA development a bit to the east (Kingsborough Houses). I suppose proximity to the LIRR in earlier times lowered the desirability of the area. Nobody wants to live around constant soot.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-14-2019, 05:53 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...-4DefR_K6eFB6E

Old 10-14-2019, 07:18 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
when i think underground gambling, i'm thinking card based games like hold em. really that's it.
Dice 101..............hahahaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIYTQ8vkKaI

Old 10-14-2019, 07:25 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
It was both!

"Dice were thrown, cards were dealt and shots were fired inside a Brooklyn social club Saturday morning, leaving four dead and three others injured".

Not to make fun of a tragic situation but...
"dices, cards, shots, oh, my"!

Who would've thought over a game of dice?? but then again whenever money is involved?
...or sometimes not even money is involved.
I've seen people go at it over a game of scrabble...
So then I thought, maybe alcohol was involved.
Alcohol and money but nope...

“It is sparsely decorated. We do not see any evidence of alcohol consumption. What we see is evidence of some gambling, specifically cards, specifically dice,” said NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermont Shea.

Last edited by Aeran; 10-14-2019 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-14-2019, 11:03 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
the only betting game involving dices that i know is craps and i highly doubt they had a craps table up in crown heights.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
the only betting game involving dices that i know is craps and i highly doubt they had a craps table up in crown heights.
Well there is street craps and cee lo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City