Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times

Advertisements

Great.. good luck,, how old are you??
do you have a BS in accounting? or you are going to start now.
Not only a CFO, more than 25% of CEO are accountants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
From what I have read CEOs and CFOs are pretty much slaves to their companies. I start preparing to sit for the CPA in less than 2 months and don't think that in 10 yrs I could even entertain the thought of being a CFO or CEO.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 PM

I understand that not all CPA are going to be CFO or CEO.
But you should in 10 to 15 years become a partner in your firm.
Or, 5 years of exp. in one of the 4 big firms, you can open your own firm.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:58 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
Oh, it's so much easier to make the big bucks as a rock star. So much easier!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:20 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,552 times
Quote:
I'm 15. Only a sophomore in high-school.
I'll be starting college in a few years. Going to try to get into NYU.

And, I'm a giant workaholic. :x So. I could probably manage well being a CFO. xD

Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 PM

Metropolistraffic:
Good luck,
To be honest in my opinion accounting is the best way to go.
try to get in 3-2 programs, in 5 years you have the BS and the Masters in accounting that way you have the 150 credits for the CPA exam.
If I can go back in time I wouldnt go for MD, 4 years of biology + 4 years of medical school then 3 years of residency + 2-3 years of fellowship is way to much(if you want to do a fellowship)... And with a 250k student loan at the end.
All of my CPA friends were making 6 digits when I was still in medical school....
And a I.M. doctor makes about 150k to 220k with bonus.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:53 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Metropolistraffic:
Good luck,
try to get in 3-2 programs, in 5 years you have the BS and the Masters in accounting that way you have the 150 credits for the CPA exam.
If I can go back in time I wouldnt go for MD, 4 years of biology + 4 years of medical school then 3 years of residency + 2-3 years of fellowship is way to much(if you want to do a fellowship)... And with a 250k student loan at the end.
All of my CPA friends were making 6 digits when I was still in medical school....
Internists can make that kind of money generally if they're in a subspecialty that involves a procedure (like pulmonary medicine, gastroenterology, etc.). And that means they can't take many Medicare patients and make that kind of money.

And you sacrifice your life. Believe me, I've DONE it. And WHAT bonus????? A bonus???? I don't regret it, but after fellowship was over and I was a junior attending it was rough.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:10 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
I see the controllers, and the CFO at my company all the time, and it does not look like they are having much fun at all.

They just sit there, and prepare reports on excel all the time. There is no interaction with others, nothing to really challenge you mentally

Well granted my company is not an I-Bank or a wall street firm

They look really stressed out too probably from being late on reporting

Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,552 times
Quote:
Metropolistraffic:
Good luck,
Thank you. I actually can't wait till college. And, Since I completed NY high-school math this year, I am able to take AP Accounting next year. Which is the 101 class. Hopefully I pass and get the college credit, haah.

And, Eek @ Med School. That was actually a big debate. I either wanted to go into Accounting, or, go into Med School and become a Heart Surgeon. But, thinking it through - the schooling is just crazy. I mean, I probably would make it and all.. But, I want to get a good career based job by the time I am twenty-five. Not still in school, having the med school debt build up.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I see the controllers, and the CFO at my company all the time, and it does not look like they are having much fun at all.

They just sit there, and prepare reports on excel all the time. There is no interaction with others, nothing to really challenge you mentally

Well granted my company is not an I-Bank or a wall street firm

They look really stressed out too probably from being late on reporting
Well yes is true, especially a controller.
But if you are a CPA in a firm, is very different. And you always go out with your clients and have fun...
But a controller usually do everything along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City