Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 06:47 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Millennials are now leaving NYC, tired of those ridiculous rents for mediocre apartments. The notion that there will be 8 million people interested in paying $3k/M for a 1BR is ridiculous. Show many who live elsewhere what many in NYC live in and what they pay, and their jaws drop.
Those are coming to NYC don't really care. I run into so many that still suck on their moms teet (their parents still treat them like they live at home even though they don't.)

Many can afford to pay the ridiculous rent because they went the roommate route while their parents pay half their portion of rent/utilities. chances are they don't pay their cellphone bill because their parents never bothered to transfer ownership of the line so they are still on the family plan, etc.

Many times I visit other states I tell them I live in NYC and their eyes light up and they tell me they always want to live there and im like "why?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 11:17 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Those are coming to NYC don't really care. I run into so many that still suck on their moms teet (their parents still treat them like they live at home even though they don't.)

Many can afford to pay the ridiculous rent because they went the roommate route while their parents pay half their portion of rent/utilities. chances are they don't pay their cellphone bill because their parents never bothered to transfer ownership of the line so they are still on the family plan, etc.

Many times I visit other states I tell them I live in NYC and their eyes light up and they tell me they always want to live there and im like "why?".
I don't think the Bronx will be gentrified like in Harlem by wealthy residents. But what will happen at a faster rate displaced middle class people will continue to move here. I know several people who grew up in Manhattan and Queens who moved to the South Bronx. Not their first choice but new construction and affordability left them no other choice. Better quality of people then traditionally was warehoused here in past. As we know the City used the Bronx to house non working people for years in the projects and section 8 here for decades.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:22 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:

1. At some point their parents tell them "child you are now 30, and I have retired so if you cannot afford NYC come back home."

2. The room mate thing stops working when the wife comes and then the kids.

Yes NYC does have this bright and shiny image and then folks come here and ask "why?". Are the rents that they pay to live in Bushwick really worth the lack of quality of life?

Old 10-24-2019, 04:27 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I don't think the Bronx will be gentrified like in Harlem by wealthy residents. But what will happen at a faster rate displaced middle class people will continue to move here. I know several people who grew up in Manhattan and Queens who moved to the South Bronx. Not their first choice but new construction and affordability left them no other choice. Better quality of people then traditionally was warehoused here in past. As we know the City used the Bronx to house non working people for years in the projects and section 8 here for decades.

two things are driving up rents.

1. Displaced people from elsewhere in NYC and a severe housing shortage that has emerged. This despite the significant levels of new construction. 3rd Ave is nothing like what it was 20 years ago.

2. Speculators who acquire properties to flip in a competitive bidding process, and holding them for section 8 until the time is right. More Section 8 for reasons outlined in 1.

Not sure that the true hipster types will move much further than the extreme southern parts of the Bronx. if mid town is the reference point, it quickly gets "far" in the Bronx.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
I posted about this in another thread. Cant wait to see it!

They will start with the areas close to water access and work their way inward. The cut off will most likely be 165th. Too many projects to do anything about so it will be pockets of good with pockets of bad. I hav noticed they have stepped up patrols and have cars parked along corners. The even have those bright spot lights shining on the corners where the dealers hang out at to deter them
Opinion: Hahahaha."They will start" ....the boogey man is coming with a pocketful of change........

Old 10-24-2019, 05:44 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion: Hahahaha."They will start" ....the boogey man is coming with a pocketful of change........
They are already here. I see a lot of white faces walking around 138th trying to buy up property lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City