Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 02:40 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
This is what I was told last year when I called about heat which is why I didnt make a big deal about it this year.
Growing up in a private house then and still today many have portable heaters (some even are built in) for bathrooms. This warms up the room and takes the chill off when bathing so you don't come out of a hot shower or bath into a "cold" room. Other than that people need to dress for shoulder seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 03:11 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,141 times
I keep my house at 65° during the day at 61° at night. Most would find that cool but I'm used to it now. Last winter my gas bill averaged $150/month. My house is only 1100 sq.ft. which helps too.

The rule for rental buildings is:
From October 1 through May 31, the City requires building owners to provide tenants with heat according to the following rules:
  • Between 6 AM and 10 PM, if the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees, the inside temperature must be at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Between 10 PM and 6 AM, the inside temperature must be at least 62 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. There is no outside temperature requirement.
Heat / Hot Water complaints may be submitted via 311 online at:
https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01036

A nice old lady I know owns two small multi-family buildings here on S.I. It's my 'job' every winter to make sure the thermostats in those buildings are set correctly every winter.

Another couple rents out two 1-family homes that they own. Even though they are 1-family homes, they appatently have to adhere to the NYC temperature rules because they are renting them out.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:44 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Last night, finally. I think it's been just above the legal limit outside.

I hate this time of year for that reason.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
I understand why this was initiated, but as an outsider, just looking at properties, I thought I was going to die of indoor heat!!!!!!! I could not handle that, and especially not at night. I like to sleep with the window cracked and no heat on at night, no matter what the weather. I'm in California where the weather is mild, year-round.

Are you allowed to turn it on and off in your apartment (one agent said yes, but it sounded questionable), and if not, why not? Why can't individuals have thermostats or some way of controlling when it goes on and off?

Old 10-19-2019, 06:55 PM

520 posts, read 600,993 times
The heat finally came on in my building last week, but in the early morning and during the super's hours, only to to be shut off at night. This weekend was the first the heat's been on in the daytime.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:55 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I understand why this was initiated, but as an outsider, just looking at properties, I thought I was going to die of indoor heat!!!!!!! I could not handle that, and especially not at night. I like to sleep with the window cracked and no heat on at night, no matter what the weather. I'm in California where the weather is mild, year-round.

Are you allowed to turn it on and off in your apartment (one agent said yes, but it sounded questionable), and if not, why not? Why can't individuals have thermostats or some way of controlling when it goes on and off?
I can turn my heat and on and off which is a good thing unlike other apts where it was uncontrollable.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I would be REAL happy if my management company turned off the heat at 11PM regardless of the outside temperature, as long as it was kicked back on at 6AM on the colder days.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Not taking any heat yet, but it was VERY pleasant last night to add a blanket to my bedding.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:50 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I can turn my heat and on and off which is a good thing unlike other apts where it was uncontrollable.
You must pay for your heat then... That's the trend in newer buildings. I had that set up in my first apartment in Europe. It's a nice feature, but the bill isn't so nice. lol

Old 10-28-2019, 02:09 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You must pay for your heat then... That's the trend in newer buildings. I had that set up in my first apartment in Europe. It's a nice feature, but the bill isn't so nice. lol
Not necessarily. I don't pay for heat but (not sure if I'm say this right) but I do for the fan to push the heat, hopefully you get my point.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City