Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 AM

25,405 posts, read 37,161,117 times

Advertisements

MOD CUT. We're not getting into specific politics in this thread. Keep in on topic.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 AM

19,080 posts, read 14,035,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Most message boards on the web are heavily moderated and censored to carry a certain tone or agenda that the moderators want to convey. They openly suppress speech of those on the right, biggest one of these sites is reddit and some other forums right here on City Data.

The NYC Forum is unique in the the Moderators are true to their word when they say that they do not take sides and everyone here is free to express how they feel as long as it doesn't violate the TOS. So naturally more "right" leaning folks are less suppressed here and you will see more of their opinions stay up and visible.

I thank them for making this as close to a place where you can be free to speak your mind as possible. (As long as someone isn't breaking the TOS)
Thanks, it isn't easy. Being one of the right-leaning posters myself, I'm sometimes accused of taking sides when I do have to take action.

Some of you might recall a certain poster who was banned not too long ago who thought personal attacks against me were ok. I took good care to issue multiple warnings where other mods in forums throughout this site wouldn't have specifically to make clear that personal views were not going to be the reason for the eventual infractions (and then banning unfortunately), but this particular poster just couldn't seem to get it.

I can only speak for myself but I have a VERY thick skin. It's nearly impossible to get me riled up online. But I will enforce the terms of service, especially in regards to personal attacks levied at myself or any other poster on this forum regardless of the ideologies involved.

Secondly, keep in mind that we push the limit here in regards to political posts. Even local politics are not acceptable in most city-specific forums here. We allow it here, but sometimes I do move a thread if it becomes too controversial for the local forum. NYC is a highly political place to live, so I feel it is appropriate to allow political discussions here within reason.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-19-2019, 08:51 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,907,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Why does this forum skew so right?

City Data is an old, and old-fashioned, message board. It probably attracts an older, more conservative crowd. Whereas younger, more liberal folks prefer Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Plus, those social media sites are increasingly banning conservative comments. They've become "safe places" for liberals. Hence, liberals spend more time there, and conservatives congregate at other venues, such as City Data.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:08 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,564,337 times
Quote:
I'm DEFINITELY not calling for censorship. That would be un-American and gross.

I'm just saying this forum gets a lot of questions from non-New Yorkers or people looking to move here and I think they could get a skewed image of what NYC is like just based on the posts here.

But I definitely agree with you that conservatives are ostracized in NYC, though the "conservatives" on this forum do their cause no favor. Moderate conservatives (like my brother and dad) are hard to find.
And because of that the moderate voices stay silent leaving the extremists to express their "opinions." But honestly life is too short to get into verbal altercations with complete strangers.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:42 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,693,651 times
To the person who called me "him." Nope, I'm female.

Secondly, I also don't work in a "diverse" and "woke" environment. I own my own business (gasp! I picked myself up from my bootstraps lol). I despise woke culture, diversity points and SJWs, so anyone who thinks that just because I am calling out ultra-conservatives I must be a tweeting crybaby millennial is wrong. It's just that so many people on this board are bat**** crazy lol.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:00 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,621,194 times
Quote:
I'm not a complete liberal (for example, I am staunchly against illegal immigration and I have a huge issue with Chinese money in NYC) but even I am aghast sometimes at the stuff that gets said here.

Like, poor people shouldn't have access to eye exams? A congresswoman can't spend money on a hair cut and color? Immigrants shouldn't be able to get driving licenses? Some of this is BATTY.
I agree except I don't think undocumented immigrants should be able to get drivers licenses. There is zero incentive to become a citizen if the left gives them all the benefits of citizenship.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
To the person who called me "him." Nope, I'm female.

Secondly, I also don't work in a "diverse" and "woke" environment. I own my own business (gasp! I picked myself up from my bootstraps lol). I despise woke culture, diversity points and SJWs, so anyone who thinks that just because I am calling out ultra-conservatives I must be a tweeting crybaby millennial is wrong. It's just that so many people on this board are bat**** crazy lol.
That's how I feel

Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,761,776 times
I did a CD poll on age about a year ago. The average is approaching 70 years old. Thus the reason you have so many angry old right wingers on CD.

I mean really, young people don’t post on message boards.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I did a CD poll on age about a year ago. The average is approaching 70 years old. Thus the reason you have so many angry old right wingers on CD.

I mean really, young people don’t post on message boards.
More young people would post here if it were not for the heavy censorship and lack of image posting capability

Old 10-19-2019, 01:04 PM

31,989 posts, read 27,154,472 times
Oh please, give it a rest.

Were it not for the "conservatives" or whatever you want to call them this forum would have nothing but endless affordable/low income housing threads, and posts from inhabitants of flyover or other places who desperately want to be a part of NYC.

On any given day posts by the latter groups far outweigh anything from latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: