Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 06:51 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
CityMD has 9 in the Bronx. I just looked them up because there's one near to where I work. I don't know if 9 is too little, or if its oversaturation.
There are at least 34 urgent cares in the Bronx. CityMD has some but there are a lot of other companies getting in on the game. https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=urg...wn%5D&start=30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 AM

357 posts, read 727,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Lesson learned - when you need to go to the ER, unless you're going to die right now, take the extra 20 minutes to go to either Manhattan (NYP, Sinai, Beth, Lenox, NYU) or Nassau County (Northwell, LIJ)

And when you get there, you'll find the same issues.
Crowded emergency rooms are a problem in every borough and it will take a major upheaval to change things.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:19 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Montefiore adult ER is really crowded and involves long waits for sure. One thing to mention is if your doctor communicates with the ER beforehand, you'll be seen quicker. When my son went in for asthma at the pediatric ER at Monte, he was seen right away, but another time we went for a broken bone and had to wait all night. In retrospect, we probably should have left and gone to Manhattan but they kept saying they thought the doctor would be there soon and we didn't want to start from zero. When he finally arrived he said that he was the only doctor in the entire borough that night doing casts.

Unfortunately my experience with other ERs haven't been any better. My worst experience hands down was the St. Luke's Roosevelt maternity ER but details would be TMI.

I've had family members admitted to Montefiore 4 times that I can remember and while I've never considered it fast, it hasn't been anywhere near as long the experiences of other posters. I was very impressed with the care everyone received after being admitted. I believe that statistically, the hospital's outcomes are very good.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:04 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
Crowded emergency rooms are a problem in every borough and it will take a major upheaval to change things.
generally yes, but on an order of magnitude less intolerable in Manhattan / Long Island and with much better quality of doctors.

The NYU Langone emergency room, specifically, was completely rebuilt within the past 5 years and is as close to problem free as you're ever going to find

Old 10-25-2019, 02:55 PM

43 posts, read 49,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Yep.
I had a minor stroke (super fun in your 30s!) and refused to go to Monte, made my mother take me into Manhattan to go to NYU. But you know what? I was in a CAT scan within 15 minutes of walking into the ER, and in a room about 4 hours later.
That's standard protocol when a stroke is suspected, though, since time is of the essence. My mom has had a few seizures, and when we took her to Coney Island Hospital (not the greatest, and not our choice, but again, they'll only take you to the closest hospital when stroke is suspected since the clock is ticking), they always immediately took her for a CAT scan to rule out stroke.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:18 PM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
I don’t recommend the Northwell/LIJ system in general. Maybe for something minor but I know too many stories where the outcome was bad at LIJ.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:16 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MismatchedSocks View Post
That's standard protocol when a stroke is suspected, though, since time is of the essence. My mom has had a few seizures, and when we took her to Coney Island Hospital (not the greatest, and not our choice, but again, they'll only take you to the closest hospital when stroke is suspected since the clock is ticking), they always immediately took her for a CAT scan to rule out stroke.
I think they would have gotten me into the CAT scan quickly, but definitely would not have received the close attention that I did at NYU, and DEFINITELY would not have gotten into a room within a few hours.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:24 AM

357 posts, read 727,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
generally yes, but on an order of magnitude less intolerable in Manhattan / Long Island and with much better quality of doctors.

The NYU Langone emergency room, specifically, was completely rebuilt within the past 5 years and is as close to problem free as you're ever going to find

https://nypost.com/2019/12/09/mount-...e-workers-say/

Like I said ... the same issues.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:35 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we have northshore lij by us ... we found it very very good
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I don’t recommend the Northwell/LIJ system in general. Maybe for something minor but I know too many stories where the outcome was bad at LIJ.
Although the wait times and at Northwell/LIJ may not be too bad, I was misdiagnosed in 2012 at one of their ERs. After spending several hours there I was sent home by a nurse (as there was a shift change and new ER doctor didn't even bother to release me) with the wrong diagnosis. I was back in less than 48 hours when they finally diagnosed my appendicitis and needed an emergency appendectomy.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:50 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Although the wait times and at Northwell/LIJ may not be too bad, I was misdiagnosed in 2012 at one of their ERs. After spending several hours there I was sent home by a nurse (as there was a shift change and new ER doctor didn't even bother to release me) with the wrong diagnosis. I was back in less than 48 hours when they finally diagnosed my appendicitis and needed an emergency appendectomy.
In my opinion they are a business first and a hospital system second. I know of too many people who went in there and didn’t come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City