Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 07:00 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Mr. Retired, with that being said, I recognize your garbage, and this forum has no place for it. Keep your bigoted views to yourself.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Back then Gangsters were just the bad guys and even they knew enough to steer clear of the cops.
Today , many adults,young adults ,adolescents and even children, yes even children have been documented disrespecting police officers and themselves.
Another example of your bigotry, not too hard too find I might add. So you're really comparing as to who commits crime better? Insane.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:51 AM

337 posts, read 356,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired;56500081
Agreed. All poor neighborhoods are undesirable but that alone should be an incentive to better oneself.
It's all about Choice. Those that choose to do something with their lives and those that choose do do nothing.

Opinion:
Back then Gangsters were just the bad guys and even they knew enough to steer clear of the cops.
Today , many adults,young adults ,adolescents and even children, yes even children have been documented disrespecting police officers and themselves.

My parents taught me a valuable saying growing up that stuck with me to this day. Just because you are poor does not mean you have to be a pig.

So my advice is the same to the community in question. Grab a broom ,sweep in front of your home, put trash in the waste basket,clean up the litter,remove the graffiti, Clean yourself up, Respect one another as human beings and let this be the role model for your future offspring else guaranteeing repeating the same old story. Best wishes Brownsville. Peace.

This is how the poor neighborhood looked back then....
[url=http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Forigina ls%2F80%2F15%2F3a%2F80153a5de1a5a9057778fe22a49e86 61.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2 Fpin%2F427842033323754808%2F&docid=g8r6p3Nd8o_5vM& tbnid=pmwnvqrny5rhrM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwi-6r3V8LrlAhVwU98KHQBZD60QMwhNKAAwAA..i&w=500&h=350& bih=629&biw=1356&q=pictures%20of%20early%20Brownsv ille%20ny&ved=0ahUKEwi-6r3V8LrlAhVwU98KHQBZD60QMwhNKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8
Google Image Result for https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/15/3a/80153a5de1a5a9057778fe22a49e8661.jpg[/url]
You are a smart guy, however there is still a lot intellectual laziness, faux-romantiscism and unwillingness to do basic research on your part which is leading you to overly simplify the problems which have plagued that area. With each of your points.

Quote:
Agreed. All poor neighborhoods are undesirable but that alone should be an incentive to better oneself.
It's all about Choice. Those that choose to do something with their lives and those that choose do do nothing.
Exactly what "choices" did the newcomers have in that particular area at that specific time. There are other areas in the city (i.e. Cambria Heights, Queens Village, north Bronx) that did not suffer the same fate because of economic opportunity and more supportive social policies (real estate, economics, education with better funding, ability to open businesses, 'better' social policies with accountability) a lot in part due to timing and who was able to purchase (i.e. 40-50 years later than the demographic changes in Brownsville and with people who had more means).

Quote:
Today , many adults, young adults ,adolescents and even children, yes even children have been documented disrespecting police officers and themselves.

My parents taught me a valuable saying growing up that stuck with me to this day. Just because you are poor does not mean you have to be a pig.
You are oversimplifying and romanticizing about the past. There is no shortage of documented police and political corruption, police/mob cooperation and social policies from this period before the demographic changes in the area which actually helped to serve the residents of the area so long as they "stayed in their lane". No such hierarchy existed during and after this demographic change. The high rise project buildings built for "undesirables" by Robert Moses (demolishing a plethora of single family homes), redlining and who the political machine believed had "no chance" (i.e. LaGuardia and Tammany Hall) of moving up economically all played a major roles here. Businesses left the area and residents who had entrepreneurial aspirations were intentionally blocked from opening businesses at that particular time.

Again, other areas where similar demographic shifts took place did not endure these roadblocks, but it's convenient to not talk about "those other areas" that have been very successful and still are because it doesn't suit your opinion.

Here is Kriyas Joel in Orange County, NY today. The demographic who controlled and dominated Brownsville before the "Demographic Change" now control this area. This is what the area has looked like in recent years.

No shortage of news stories on corruption and welfare fraud for this town in NY. Do you refer to them as pigs? Or do they get a pass because they don't look like current residents of Brownsville?

(i.e. - https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com...lfare-scandal/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE3iZKKUYwc
Renewed concerns about illegal dumping in Kiryas Joel

This was in Brooklyn back in January of this year. Is this also not disrespecting police officers?... Or do they also get a pass because they "look different"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkRwLKojmI

Last edited by ThatCareerGuy; 10-27-2019 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 09:26 AM

16,080 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I dont know why you keep equating race and filth. Tell me why you keep doing this. Here, I'll stoop to your level, since this is the type of discussion you want. Lower East Side below:
Opinion: I am not equating. I am speaking on current truths. The picture you post of a time long ago would have
been given the same condemnation from me as a poster. The only bigotry is in your thoughts as you choose
to defend for your own personal reasons.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Mr. Retired, with that being said, I recognize your garbage, and this forum has no place for it. Keep your bigoted views to yourself.
Opinion: Your assumption of bigotry lies deeply embedded within your thoughts.
Your choice.I will not be baited into name calling but will defend myself fervently.
I call things as I see them. I do not live behind rose colored glasses although I
must admit I am guilty of wishing for much better times than exist today.You are
entitled to your opinions as well as I . Please do not use your views to threaten or
build a resistance towards my opinion. Too obvious. I am duly capable of defending
myself against your falsities. Have a pleasant day.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Opinion: I am not equating. I am speaking on current truths. The picture you post of a time long ago would have
been given the same condemnation from me as a poster. The only bigotry is in your thoughts as you choose
to defend for your own personal reasons.
No it would not have. Therefore there would not have even been a need to distinguish had this been the case. All universal. I recognize the garbage.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
You are a smart guy, however there is still a lot intellectual laziness, faux-romantiscism and unwillingness to do basic research on your part which is leading you to overly simplify the problems which have plagued that area. With each of your points.

Excerpt#1:
Exactly what "choices" did the newcomers have in that particular area

Excerpt#2:
You are oversimplifying and romanticizing about the past.

Excerpt#3:
serve the residents of the area so long as they "stayed in their lane".

Excerpt#4:
doesn't suit your opinion.

Here is Kriyas Joel in Orange County, NY today. The demographic who controlled and dominated Brownsville before the "Demographic Change" now control this area. This is what the area has looked like in recent years.

No shortage of news stories on corruption and welfare fraud for this town in NY. Do you refer to them as pigs? Or do they get a pass because they don't look like current residents of Brownsville?
Opnion: Thank you for observing my opinion. Discourse will be mutually respected.

Opinion #1
I am well acquainted with the many stories of hardship especially from arrivals to this country.
" Coming to this country with no shoes on my feet and pennies in my pocket. "
I am also aware of some of my relatives that failed to make it here and returned back home.
It is a sink or swim. You can not dog paddle for generations.....without eventually drowning.

Opinion#2
Living in the past for anybody who struggled was not simple. It was a struggle.
First generation born Child of non English speaking Immigrants was a challenge
but my family worked hard to fit in and take things one step further by showing they
cared just as much if not more of being American. It could be a simple hello, sweeping
the sidewalk, picking up debris in the street and disposing of it. They taught me to lead by example.

Opinion#3
As a minority Italian in an all German and Irish neighborhood I felt to often the non acceptance of others
not because of skin color but because of ethnicity. We battled our way out of our lane and blended with others
through assimilation. IT took a couple of beatings but eventually I won over countless friends who in the end treated
me like family. This is evident in many cultures. I never realized while studying the Empire of the African Culture, tribes
were also bigoted towards other tribes for having lighter skin color or not speaking in the same dialect. This is just the result
of the human condition to survive. Not taking any chances until I get to know you.Such an eye opener.

Opinion#4
There are many topics of discussion not suitable as is apparent in some of the responses received but nevertheless
I respect them. I must admit it is almost comical reading (again my opinion) some posts with a carry no mustard defense.

Opinion#5:
Kriyas Joel is in Orange County...N.Y.
This is a little tricky. It can appear as a baited question in order to label me but I'll explore it as an honest question.
My parents had a saying "We may be poor but we are not pigs ". I lived by that creed and still do to this day.
If I were a member of Kriyas Joel community as a participant of Shomrim ( neighborhood watch group ) and was witness to littering that person or persons would have heard the words my parents taught me. The community would have my full attention. What you do in your own home is your business. What you do outside the home is the community's business. As a resident of the 5 boroughs you can not voice an opinion in some neighborhoods for fear of loss of life for complaining ,calling the cops,getting involved.Brownsville and its' inhabitants are to be held accountable. Finally...Kriyas Joel outside of the 5 boroughs ( I call that upstate ) if truly a filthy place, I hope there is someone living within the county with the passion to stir the bees nest and reactivate the community in making the necessary creed to commitment "We may be poor but we are not pigs."
Again ,only the community and its' inhabitants can be held accountable....No one gets a free pass.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 10-27-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No it would not have. Therefore there would not have even been a need to distinguish had this been the case. All universal. I recognize the garbage.
Opinion: There you go again making assumptions...and attempt of character assassination.
And there I go defending myself...again against your assaults as you once again
skirt the rules of diplomacy on City-Data.com........

Old 10-27-2019, 10:52 AM

Opinion:
Heavy Downpour today.
Thank Goodness. Some street debris will be washed a way.
Our Great Men in Blue deserve a break once in a while.
God Bless you New York City Police Officers. Work Safe.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:15 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Opinion: Mr.Retired needs a new hobby besides ranting on an Internet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City