Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 05:43 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

https://qns.com/story/2019/10/25/sta...ll-businesses/

Jackson Heights has been known as one of the most diverse and dynamic communities in the city with one of the highest concentrations of immigrants, many running their own businesses and making major contributions to the booming local economy.

On Oct. 24, state Comptroller Tom DiNapoli came to the Lexington School for the Deaf to release a report entitled “An Economic Snapshot of the Greater Jackson Heights Area” that backs that premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 10:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
How are they getting the capital to start and run these businesses? Are they on some sort of welfare?

Or did they already have money in their home countries, and just transfer it here? But seriously why transfer that money here, and then open a small business? Seems like it will go a lot further by staying in their own countries or going to a country that is even poorer.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:11 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
i like momos

Old 10-27-2019, 02:46 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How are they getting the capital to start and run these businesses? Are they on some sort of welfare?

Or did they already have money in their home countries, and just transfer it here? But seriously why transfer that money here, and then open a small business? Seems like it will go a lot further by staying in their own countries or going to a country that is even poorer.
Are you serious? Quality of life and income in the US is much higher on average than in India, Bangladesh, Nepal, etc.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:13 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:

Usually you start really small either working for someone or in a cart or a tiny stall. You either save up or you ask the larger community for investment or a small loan since your startup costs are low and banks aren’t always willing to lend money to you. We know a couple who makes these baked Chinese pastries with a variety of fillings. He and his wife had full-time other jobs where she worked night shifts and he worked dayshifts on the full-time job and did this side gig selling to friends and co-workers. After a while, they save up and with the help of a few friends set up a stall so she can quite her job and actually see her husband more often. Things did pretty alright for a while, though at some point last year they closed the stall and the pastries went back to home order only.

Where I grew up, I knew people often turned to their church community to raise money for starting small businesses (and getting customers). If you’re looking to start a small business and can’t get a bank loan, maybe you can try that?

Old 10-27-2019, 07:19 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
I don't see anywhere where it says "recent immigrant" in the article. All it says is immigrant. That can mean someone came as a child or young adult. My contractor (in Jackson Heights) came to the US around age 18 from South America and now has a thriving contractor business at age 40. Also the guy who owns the most hip cafe in Jackson Heights, Espresso77 (there aren't that many hip cafes) is Bangladeshi. I'm not sure how old he was when he arrived here, maybe in his 20s, but I guess he's in his 40's now.

There's another very cool place in Jackson Heights that is owned by immigrants who are Dominican and his partner is Vietnamese. They own a great wine shop and across the street a very successful tapas and wine place. They have most likely been here for some years as well, although they both have accents so they didn't come as children.

I guess the immigrants who bring thriving business to Jackson Heights are just living the American dream -- come here at whatever age, and work hard and improve your life, and be entrepreneurial.

Last edited by Henna; 10-27-2019 at 07:55 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 07:24 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
I am so happy for the immigrants in Jackson Heights who find success here. Good for them!

Old 10-27-2019, 07:24 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Are you serious? Quality of life and income in the US is much higher on average than in India, Bangladesh, Nepal, etc.
Good question tho, is it better to honestly be rich in the USA or in India? When you're making a certain amount of coin, does it even matter?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-27-2019, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
This thread makes me hungry for a nice Indian buffet lunch...Indian Taj, YUMMM. (I still miss the one on Bleeker Street.)

Does Delhi Heights have a good buffet (Good, to my tastes, means a LAMB dish.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-27-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 07:31 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Good question tho, is it better to honestly be rich in the USA or in India? When you're making a certain amount of coin, does it even matter?
I think it's a strange question. Presumably, if they are immigrants, as opposed to visiting foreigners, they moved here for good, to set up a life and settle here. So why should they go back to their original country to open a business if they are US citizens, or permanent residents, now?

The question comes up a lot on this forum about when people are unhappy in NYC "why don't you just move" and the answer is usually having to stay here due to jobs, commitments here, family living here, etc. and the same is probably true of these immigrants. Just because someone originally came from another country doesn't mean they are not committed here and settled here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City