Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 12:49 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Nothing changed with cars. NYC has always had tons of cars. In fact, cars have become far safer and have far more alert features than ever before. It’s the bikes, period. Whether it is more of them, entitlement, the lanes... it’s the bikes.

Bikers need to get through their heads (before a bumper does it for them) that 100-200lbs of flesh will never, ever, ever beat 2500+lbs of steel and aluminum.

Right or wrong, they are the ones who lose. I always go about my life with that in concept in mind. Right or wrong, there are some absolutes. I don’t EVER trust another person to control ab absolute for me when my safety is at stake.
Opinion:Awesome!............ I rep you..........The heavier the metal the heavier the damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 06:28 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
It's entitlement to think that roads belong to cars. Prior to the advent of a car culture, public spaces belonged to everyone. Pedestrians ruled the streets, not cars. People gathered and met with their neighbors, had meetings, concerts. The auto industry invented the term Jaywalker and they had lobbyst run campaigns that promoted their interests.

Today we think of streets as a utility for transportation. Yet for thousands of years, streets were public spaces, used for socializing, playing, business, street vending, meetings, civic activism, and festivals—they were humanity’s living room. In the blink of an historic eye, car companies were able to occupy these spaces with strategies such as the invention of “jaywalking,”outlawing things humans had done for thousands of years: freely use and cross public streets.
https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...8T22%3A04%3A07

History of pedestrians ruling the street - https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innov...180953396/?all

here is frequent myths about the subject - https://www.wired.com/2014/11/9-thin...s-cars-debate/
So over a hundred years ago pedestrians ruled the streets over cars? Should we go back to 1910 in everything we do?

Old 11-01-2019, 06:49 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Any cyclist that wears headphones while riding their bike on a busy street and gets hit gets no sympathy from me. I see these idiots all over the city riding their bike oblivious to their surrounding while disregarding auto's and pedestrians. Blame the careless cyclists not the mayor.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Any cyclist that wears headphones while riding their bike on a busy street and gets hit gets no sympathy from me. I see these idiots all over the city riding their bike oblivious to their surrounding while disregarding auto's and pedestrians. Blame the careless cyclists not the mayor.
Opinion:
In this one instant you have the right to place blame on the cyclist but spending millions of dollars
resulting in an uptick of cyclist deaths not seen in 20 years?......
Well that my friend gets thrown back into the mayor's lap..

Old 11-01-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Amsterdam used to have as much traffic as NYC. The difference is they had a plan, and over 20 years they built it out.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3052699/...iders-paradise
Opinion: RIP lost cyclists lives
It is quite obvious that the New York plan has got a couple of kinks and broken bones.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Ugh. Many were the times when I’ve gotten to the end of my trip in a cab and have to literally look behind me before I open the door to get out. Why don’t bikers look to see if a cab is pulling up? Just last Saturday I almost hit someone by opening a cab door - thank goodness something inside of me reminded me to look before opening! The man on that bike must’ve been going 40 mph - I kid you not!
Opinion:
Your actions saved the life of that person as he continued cycling haphazardly the streets of New York.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
In this one instant you have the right to place blame on the cyclist but spending millions of dollars
resulting in an uptick of cyclist deaths not seen in 20 years?......
Well that my friend gets thrown back into the mayor's lap..
Sorry but you are still off base. You can provide these cyclist with all the open roads in the world but you can't take away their lack of awareness, recklessness, carelessness and blatant stupidity. I've seen these fools talking on their cell phones as they their riding their bikes. I've seen them completely unaware of their surrounding. I've seen them blow through red lights and run over pedestrians (including myself). They are at fault because they do not respect the road. And that leads to their deaths.

Cyclists need to be more aware today due to all the distractions. When you ride your bike on the streets today you need to be completely aware of your surroundings. It is very dangerous and is not to be taken lightly. Drivers, pedestrians and other cyclists are more distracted today than they were 15 years ago. You need to be a defensive rider and be more alert. So when I see them wearing headphones oblivious to their surrounding I know it will be just a matter of time before they get into an accident which could lead to injuries or death.

The mayor is not at fault for these fatalities.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:47 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Sorry but you are still off base. You can provide these cyclist with all the open roads in the world but you can't take away their lack of awareness, recklessness, carelessness and blatant stupidity. I've seen these fools talking on their cell phones as they their riding their bikes. I've seen them completely unaware of their surrounding. I've seen them blow through red lights and run over pedestrians (including myself). They are at fault because they do not respect the road. And that leads to their deaths.

Cyclists need to be more aware today due to all the distractions. When you ride your bike on the streets today you need to be completely aware of your surroundings. It is very dangerous and is not to be taken lightly. Drivers, pedestrians and other cyclists are more distracted today than they were 15 years ago. You need to be a defensive rider and be more alert. So when I see them wearing headphones oblivious to their surrounding I know it will be just a matter of time before they get into an accident which could lead to injuries or death.

The mayor is not at fault for these fatalities.
I agree with your opinion the Mayor is not at fault. I also agree that many cyclists are reckless. However, how many drivers do you see texting and driving, going thru lights etc to where a cyclists and pedestrians are at risk. I both drive and ride a bike and I completely believe more of the accidents are the operators of vehicles fault. When I drive my car you have the greater duty to be vigilant for pedestrian and cyclists and motocylists. You can be 100 correct as a driver but you have to protect cyclist and pedestrians because of the fact you can kill them easier then they can kill you in a car. How many car accidents involve vehicle to vehicle collisions.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I agree with your opinion the Mayor is not at fault. I also agree that many cyclists are reckless. However, how many drivers do you see texting and driving, going thru lights etc to where a cyclists and pedestrians are at risk. I both drive and ride a bike and I completely believe more of the accidents are the operators of vehicles fault. When I drive my car you have the greater duty to be vigilant for pedestrian and cyclists and motocylists. You can be 100 correct as a driver but you have to protect cyclist and pedestrians because of the fact you can kill them easier then they can kill you in a car.
You just explained the problem, which is mostly the distracted drivers. They are comfortably in their cars, trucks, vans etc and are impervious to their surrounding. I've seen them distracted all the time. That's why cyclists need to be more aware of this and be on the defensive. You CANNOT let your guard down for one second when you are on 2 wheels in the city. You need to be completely aware of your surroundings.

I really think they should start putting a ban on people wearing headphones while on 2 wheels. Honestly this is what's its come to. People are just too careless and need to be protected from themselves.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:09 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
You just explained the problem, which is mostly the distracted drivers. They are comfortably in their cars, trucks, vans etc and are impervious to their surrounding. I've seen them distracted all the time. That's why cyclists need to be more aware of this and be on the defensive. You CANNOT let your guard down for one second when you are on 2 wheels in the city. You need to be completely aware of your surroundings.

I really think they should start putting a ban on people wearing headphones while on 2 wheels. Honestly this is what's its come to. People are just too careless and need to be protected from themselves.
I agree with you. However, as bad as some cyclists are do we know the cyclists who have been killed were in anyway at fault. I ride bike often. I am very careful. I do ride with headphones, that in itself is not an issue. I ride with the volume low, and can hear the road sounds. I think helmets are more significant. Which brings me to peddle assist bikes, they are silent and loving 25 mph. They need to be banned for being in bike lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City