Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 04:45 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
Most New Yorkers have no clue what that even is. Overwhelmingly. And furthermore, why should "most new yorkers" dictate what I can and can not eat? What's next - veal? All of us going vegan? Ban on leather shoes? The CC passed it because it is in the pocket of enviro nut jobs who want to impose their agenda on everyone. This is freaking Soviet Union all over again.

You sound like a paranoid person. A pol was taken a few months ago and 81% of the respondents were in favor of a ban and thats why it passed by a landslide.

I would say do your research and LEARN about what is involved in Foie Gras , but you sound pretty closed minded.

In the pocket of "enviro nut jobs" ?? can you elaborate on that?
you sound like you live in southern Georgia

Old 10-30-2019, 04:57 PM

144 posts, read 163,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I agree with your overall sentiment on PERSONAL freedom and not wanting mob rule. However the process of making foie gras is cruel, and I think animals deserve at least some respect.
Otherwise, I'm largely against the city banning personal choices.
So force-feeding them is cruel, but slaughtering them is ok?? Hasn't this been asked and answered in the case of kosher butcheries? Devil's Advocate animal cruelty trial scene, anyone? These are surreal times

Old 10-30-2019, 05:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
So force-feeding them is cruel, but slaughtering them is ok?? Hasn't this been asked and answered in the case of kosher butcheries? Devil's Advocate animal cruelty trial scene, anyone? These are surreal times
Well I oppose a ban on eating meat as humans are naturally ommivores. However I think we should move away from animal cruelty, such as the production of fooe grass.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
You sound like a paranoid person. A pol was taken a few months ago and 81% of the respondents were in favor of a ban and thats why it passed by a landslide.

I would say do your research and LEARN about what is involved in Foie Gras , but you sound pretty closed minded.

In the pocket of "enviro nut jobs" ?? can you elaborate on that?
you sound like you live in southern Georgia
To be fair, just because the majority of people think something doesn't mean it's a good idea. And there are plenty of libertarian minded people in NYC, that's not exclusive to the deep South.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:09 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,642 times
Quote:
To be fair, just because the majority of people think something doesn't mean it's a good idea. And there are plenty of libertarian minded people in NYC, that's not exclusive to the deep South.

I agree , but his first comment was "the leaders have lost their minds" as if city council just did this because of their position of power. Hence, my comment about it having public support.

And yes, I agree that just because the majority think something is a good idea it means it is, however, I look at things on a case by case basis and the procurement of Foie Gras is one of the most inhumane processes I've ever witnessed. I'd post a video , but mods would take down as it is "graphic and disturbing content" which says it all.

and people that use phrases like "enviro nuts" usually imply extreme right wing beliefs which goes hand in hand with the deep south. And is a silly statement as this decision has nothing to do with the environment.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:29 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I'm wondering if this will be the end of food culture in NYC. The chef community will see this as a direct affront. I could see a lot leaving.

If he hadn't offed himself, Bourdain would be leading the revolt.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:32 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Opinion:
As humans we are at the top of the food chain.
Although we have 90% of our DNA in common with the Cat Family which enjoys
torturing their prey before suffocating and consuming we can extinguish these disturbing
practices so that we can eventually evolve our DNA into much greater beings than we are now.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
I oppose the foie gras ban because geese deserve whatever they get.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
They should first ban the Chinese supermarkets from keeping those poor turtles, fish, crustaceans, and frogs cramped into those little crates.

And same for those live poultry/lamb places. I see these birds and lambs cramped in tiny confined spaces. So sad.

And I dont care if cost more money. People should eat less meat anyways.

Foie Gras is least of animal welfare issues at the moment.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
I'm against NYC's nanny statism as far as personal choices go, but I'm okay with this,it seems like a pointlessly cruel delicacy that only a small percentage of New Yorkers consume in the first place
As opposed to the treatment of the other meat animals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City