Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 01:02 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
You believe that ? That wrong and sad. I wrote earlier how I disagree with Carib. And I a person of color has mentioned on this thread about my interactions with Irish neighbors for example. It's not true, people of color don't get tought to dislike white people. That's rubbish best flushed out of your head.
Many years ago, my now-ex-husband was having a conversation with our neighbor, a black woman born in the tobacco country of North Carolina, during which he said, "You were taught all your life to hate white people". He wasn't being obnoxious. He thought he was stating a fact, because a lot of white people really think this is the case.

Our neighbor's response was, "We were not taught to hate white people. We were taught survival."

Old 11-16-2019, 01:09 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Many years ago, my now-ex-husband was having a conversation with our neighbor, a black woman born in the tobacco country of North Carolina, during which he said, "You were taught all your life to hate white people". He wasn't being obnoxious. He thought he was stating a fact, because a lot of white people really think this is the case.

Our neighbor's response was, "We were not taught to hate white people. We were taught survival."
Well any way friends both colored and colorless, take care have to do laundry. If your white and think we colored people dislike you, it's not true. Hope you all feel better. Sorry you feel this way. Plus I can to you, Hispanics and blacks are fun and kind, get yourselves some of us friends if you presently don't. That will proove it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 01:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Sometimes within the same group. The Chinese can be like that regarding which region he/she is from. All groups do this. No one wants to be at the bottom of the totem pole. Tale as old as time. I guess you never really outgrow playing King of the Hill. Where two or more are gathered there will be...division!
Yep. I have a lot of Chinese friends and co-workers and they've all told me that. In fact, not too long ago one was telling me that a relative's wife didn't want the MIL interacting with the baby because she's "lower class" yet she married the son of this lower class woman.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Yep. I have a lot of Chinese friends and co-workers and they've all told me that. In fact, not too long ago one was telling me that a relative's wife didn't want the MIL interacting with the baby because she's "lower class" yet she married the son of this lower class woman.
So in this case what's the advantage to living with ones own group ?

Old 11-16-2019, 01:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
So in this case what's the advantage to living with ones own group ?
When you're new to the country and barely speak the language, what are you going to do? Of course, you'll gravitate toward something familiar regardless. Better the devil you know, right?

Even my friend's mom tried to call someone for a repair and she got the number from the Chinese newspaper. They quoted her some outrageous price just to try to rip her off probably thinking she doesn't know any better and trying to take advantage of her. The sons know better and found someone else. He said it's pretty common to find them trying to scam, hoping to take advantage of newcomers.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
When you're new to the country and barely speak the language, what are you going to do? Of course, you'll gravitate toward something familiar regardless. Better the devil you know, right?

Even my friend's mom tried to call someone for a repair and she got the number from the Chinese newspaper. They quoted her some outrageous price just to try to rip her off probably thinking she doesn't know any better and trying to take advantage of her. The sons know better and found someone else. He said it's pretty common to find them trying to scam, hoping to take advantage of newcomers.
Just being silly. I know of the advantages. But people should be willing to expand who they are comfortable with. My wife used to go to a laundry mat run by Koreans. She got to know a Korean employee who liked her a great deal. When my wife was moving from her neighborhood in the Bronx to another, the Korean woman said she would arrange the moving with a company. Well the day for her move comes and it's a Korean speaking company and the one employee who spoke English was shocked to be moving a non Korean and frankly a Puerto Rican. They all got a laugh and appreciated the significance of interacting with a group one previusly had only seen on the periphery. Price was reasonable and they got word of mouth to move people my wife knew in the future from Non Koreans.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:02 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Yeah. That's how I came to know this. From a Chinese colleague of mine that was going on a bit of a rant during lunchtime one day, about how the "new" Chinese that were coming in were absolutely "ruining" Chinatown. It was a bit of an eye opener for me, hearing all this & I wasn't able to enjoy my sandwich. Until then, I thought the Chinese were a cohesive bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City