Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 02:07 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I don’t want to live around rental properties, regardless who lives in them. I do want to live around owner occupied homes, also regardless of who lives in them. The key to a solid, safe neighborhood is being surrounded by people of any race who are invested in their homes and keeping the area decent.
High income rentals do very well because the occupants are usually educated, well off, responsible when it comes to rent and maintain the property.
That is why I will only invest in good neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 03:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeas0 View Post
I would first like to point out that terms like racist, prejudice, and discrimination often get conflated. I don't think it's racist for someone to prefer to live in a neighborhood with people who share their values but it gets murky/goes into the bad zone when you assume that all people who look different than you don't share your values or when you actively prevent people who don't look like you from living in your community due to your biases.

I am a black woman married to a white man and we have multiracial children. We like to live among people who share our values regardless of their skin color or what's in their bank account. That said, it's hard to make that determination. It's not like each neighborhood comes with a detailed report of our neighbors. Therefore, we use "diversity of the community" as a proxy for finding a community that shares our values. We assume a more diverse community wouldn't discriminate against our children/family, is more open-minded, and is more inclusive.

Will diversity alone help us find what we're looking for? No but you have to start somewhere.
Im multiracial myself, married to a Mexican American guy. My kids are like a bag of skittles. Our neighborhood though is not diverse. We didn't select a neighborhood based on racial demographics but as you said, values and such. We just wanted to live in a nice suburban neighborhood with low crime, good schools, and little rental properties. Where people take care of their properties. Unfortunately there is an income correlation..the higher household income communities (at least here in my area) tend to not be very diverse at all.....I wish that didn't exist though and I know that there are many high earning non-White people. They probably self segregate. I don't. The needle is moving as the old timers move and various families buy in to the neighborhood. However, It's no guarantee that a more diverse community would be accepting of our family. We've been here five years now and it's been fine. If anyone doesn't like the presence of brown skinned people, too bad. Move.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:15 PM

13 posts, read 7,309 times
I like to live in a community occupied by others who share my culture. I don't blame others for wanting the same.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:51 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,505 times
I think OP is very confused. It's not considered racist to prefer to live among your own kind, but it is discriminatory and unlawful to deny housing based on someone's race. I don't understand the premise at all of the post. Preference is a choice.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 PM

927 posts, read 759,117 times
Well I would have loved to live in a Chinatown bc thats my favorite food

Old 11-07-2019, 08:02 PM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
Short answer long. I have a lot. A lot to say and I am sure you know this from my writings. So I am not going to entertain anybody anymore about this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miXMWJyOdgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_hDHm9MD0I

"Your own kind" is a racist discriminative term. It is like one of my former supervisors saying "ridiculous" when he really means stupid because he is afraid of being fired for profanity or discrimination. That person is racist in a nutshell and should not at all think of the idea of moving into an area with one people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faI8kacPGbQ

Old 11-08-2019, 07:17 AM

106 posts, read 129,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
But WHY do people want (or think they want) most of the people in their neighborhood to look like them? That's racism. Wanting to share a language or a religion isn't prejudicial but assuming that someone is more like you simply because of skin color is absolutely racist. A Protestant Scotsman shares little but skin color with a Catholic from Sicily.
"Wrong! You people have no idea what you're talking about. Racism means you think you're race is better than all others. Tribalism is wanting to be around people that look and act like you, and progressive libbtards will never eliminate that....the Scotsman and Sicilian are part of Western culture and have much more in common with each other than a Scot and a Somali or a Sicilian and a Chinese.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:19 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
I don't considerate it to be a racist to desire to live amongst yourselves...although I prefer to live amongst people in the same socioeconomic status as I.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:26 AM

149 posts, read 317,642 times
I grew up in a heavily Italian community in Queens. When I decided to introduce my now wife to my mother, the first question she asked was whether she was Sicilian. I told her she was not - she was from farther north. My mother was despondent - please don't tell me Naples?! No, farther north, mom. Oh my god, Florence?? Milan?? No mom, farther north. How far north? Ireland. All hell broke loose. She felt that the culture of a close knit family would be lost, because Sicilians are like Sicilians, period. I don't think that was racist. It was just a fear of having her grandchildren one day not adhere to the same culture that had existed in our family for generations.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:19 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I don't considerate it to be a racist to desire to live amongst yourselves...although I prefer to live amongst people in the same socioeconomic status as I.
+ This here - coupled with what Airborne said of ownership and it's full Bingo for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City