Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 02:43 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So let me ask you.

1. Did the police use a loud speaker disturbing the entire neighborhood telling you to open your door? The aggressive tone suggesting that if you didn't they would break it down!

2. When you did open the door, were you met by rude people who treated you like a criminal.

3. Are you a black man who is a target of false accusations of arrests, with police shouting at you that they know that you have a gun, and that next time they ill find it. This with guns pointed at you when you were working minding your own business.

If the answers to 1-3 are all "yes" then we can talk. If the answers are "no" then you don't live in my world so aren't entitled to behave as if you do!
Thank you. +10. Too bad your words will fall on deaf ears.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:08 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
So let me ask you.

1. Did the police use a loud speaker disturbing the entire neighborhood telling you to open your door? The aggressive tone suggesting that if you didn't they would break it down!

2. When you did open the door, were you met by rude people who treated you like a criminal.

3. Are you a black man who is a target of false accusations of arrests, with police shouting at you that they know that you have a gun, and that next time they ill find it. This with guns pointed at you when you were working minding your own business.

If the answers to 1-3 are all "yes" then we can talk. If the answers are "no" then you don't live in my world so aren't entitled to behave as if you do!

You called police to report that you were a victim of an ID theft - and the police, in response to your call, came with a loudspeaker telling you to open your door, after which you were a target of false accusations of arrests, were told that you had a gun, and the next time they'd find it, with guns pointed at you? Sorry, but that story does not make any sense. I do not believe that NYPD would do that in response to a call about identity theft, where you were the victim of the theft.

Airborneguy, you are a policeman, please enlighten me: is this kind of a story possible?

When I called about my ID theft, I was indeed told to wait in front of my building, and the policemen (btw, two black men) were clearly annoyed that they had to make a report about this - but they did not accuse me of anything. Why would they accuse (of random things, such as gun possession) a caller who is just reporting that he/she has been a victim of ID theft?

Old 12-06-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Discuss a TSA officer pointing a gun and shouting racially insensitive commands at the top of his voice then we can compare what they do with what the NYPD does.

And when the TSA single out people who they assume to be Middle Eastern they are out of order. Most terrorist incidents that occur in the country are at the hands of young white males, as events in El Paso and numerous other places will tell you. And yes these are terrorist events. The fact that white men, and not Middle Easterners, were involved doesn't change this fact.

Maybe every white male ought to be profiled given that they are responsible for the vast majority of our mass shooting terrorist events in the USA. But of course folks would not see the logic of this, but would happily subject black men and Middle Easterners (even young kids) to this stereotyping.

What are you even talking about? Have you ever been to an airport? They pull people over to search them in detail when there is something questionable on them or in their luggage. I have been searched that way several times (once the trigger was peanut butter, once recently a dry shampoo, once small forgotten scissors, and a couple of times who knows what). I am white, not even a male, am not and do not look Middle Eastern. From what I have noticed casually while flying pretty frequently, the majority of people pulled over for an extra search ARE in fact white men.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:25 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Why not? They always stop me at the airport, they sometimes frisk me, and they always check my ID. And there is a no-fly database against which my ID is checked electronically. And they X-ray my luggage, and sometimes they hand-search it. And they ask me to hop around in socks like an idiot while they X-ray my shoes. And all of this is done to detect any possibility of an extremely rare type of crime (ie, terrorism). And it can take more than 45 min on a busy travel day. eg, around holidays. Oh how humiliating, and done to solid citizens 0% of whom are terrorists - I don't want to undergo this humiliation, I'd much rather be blown up in mid-air. Not.

Regarding your other post, okay, so your checkup lasted 45 min, and they asked you to stay on the ground and not talk. I would have assumed that they wanted me in clear view, and not doing something distracting (incl talking) because they were checking for CRIME. I would have used that time to mentally organize preparation of my tax return or whatever. I would have read a book. I would not have felt humiliated. They are an anti-crime squad, and I get that.
You have no empathy. That is all I can conclude. Also you never convinced me by the numbers how I am safer ?

Old 12-06-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
You have no empathy. That is all I can conclude. Also you never convinced me by the numbers how I am safer ?

I have empathy with victims of crime, I have empathy with people who would like to live free of crime concerns in a great city, the way people live in some other great cities. A drop in steet crime in NYC coincided with stop & frisk. Presence of alert cops is a deterrent to crime.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:18 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Statistically, you are much safer on an airplane than simply walking around the Bronx.
That's because airport security is very tight, partly due to the potential of using airplanes as wrapons
Going about your daily life is not the same as boarding a massive hunk of metal that flies 30k feet in the air

Old 12-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That's because airport security is very tight, partly due to the potential of using airplanes as wrapons
Going about your daily life is not the same as boarding a massive hunk of metal that flies 30k feet in the air

Hallelujah! Airplanes are safer than going about daily life in the Bronx BECAUSE AIRPORT SECURITY IS VERY TIGHT. That is precisely what I am saying. If street security were very tight in NYC, the city would be as safe as an airplane.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:55 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Once again you have derailed a thread with your ignorant, uninformed and sophomoric views. Well done.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:03 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Hallelujah! Airplanes are safer than going about daily life in the Bronx BECAUSE AIRPORT SECURITY IS VERY TIGHT. That is precisely what I am saying. If street security were very tight in NYC, the city would be as safe as an airplane.
Why are you so authoritarian? We live in a country where things like privacy and due process are largely valued, we don't need to go all 1984 on people just to make scared people feel safe everywhere.

Benjamin Franklin (IIRC) said that those who would give up freedom for security deserve neither, and I agree

Old 12-06-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Once again you have derailed a thread with your ignorant, uninformed and sophomoric views. Well done.

... while obscuring a simple common-sense logic with pseudo-analysis (designed to protect criminals from legal consequences) is knowledgeable, informed and sophisticated? The thread is certainly not derailed, it is still about Bloomberg's stop & frisk policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City