Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 11:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I hope that "if" he gets elected he comes back and say "sike! I didn't mean that about stop and frisk." And proceeds to implement it in NYC and all other bad neighborhoods. We were much safer during those years.
The President has no control over local policing. Trump has not been able to effect policing in NYC.
Bloomberg won't get elected anyway.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:31 AM

8,341 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkchamps View Post
It is disrespectful to be stopped and searched for no reason.

And those that you speak of, this rarely happens to "them"

I highly suggest you look up the stop n frisk stats.

88% of the 4.4 million stops were of people doing absolutely nothing wrong. In 83% of cases, the person stopped was black or Hispanic. Young black and Latino men only count for 4.7% of NYC's population. That's hardcore profiling.

All that said, Bloomberg isn't fooling anyone.

Okay then, keep wasting time on the imaginary "disrespectfulness" of stop & frisk, rather than worrying about kids of your race leaving school prematurely. No normal "white privileged" person would care if their kid were stopped & frisked, while he/she would be very alarmed if their kid were failing at school - which is the correct order of importance. The Blacks and Latinos that I know who truly succeeded in life are NOT those who would focus on stuff of no consequence, such as whether stop & frisk is "disrespectful".

As far as I am familiar with Bloomberg, he seemed to do very well as a NYC mayor (including stop & frisk), but he doesn't have any kind of "star image" among the voters nationwide for 2020. Voters nowadays unfortunately largely respond to an "image" - the US presidential elections since about Carter and Reagan have been mostly a sub-category of show business. Anyone who hires Kardashians as image advisors would probably have a shot at the presidency - I am not sure Bloomberg can stoop low enough to trigger that kind of voter interest.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Okay then, keep wasting time on the imaginary "disrespectfulness" of stop & frisk, rather than worrying about kids of your race leaving school prematurely. No normal "white privileged" person would care if their kid were stopped & frisked, while he/she would be very alarmed if their kid were failing at school - which is the correct order of importance. The Blacks and Latinos that I know who truly succeeded in life are NOT those who would focus on stuff of no consequence, such as whether stop & frisk is "disrespectful".

As far as I am familiar with Bloomberg, he seemed to do very well as a NYC mayor (including stop & frisk), but he doesn't have any kind of "star image" among the voters nationwide for 2020. Voters nowadays unfortunately largely respond to an "image" - the US presidential elections since about Carter and Reagan have been mostly a sub-category of show business. Anyone who hires Kardashians as image advisors would probably have a shot at the presidency - I am not sure Bloomberg can stoop low enough to trigger that kind of voter interest.
Yes, white people would care if they were stopped and frisked, even if they are totally innocent.

No one likes to be falsely accused.

Lots of white people so drugs abs they wouldn’t want their family members to go to jail for drug use.

It was a white judge who ruled that stop and frisk us unconstitutional, as the constitution prohibits unreasonable search and seizure.

Btw, when people were imprisoned for say marijuana possession, when on le if not both parents are locked up in prison who has going to care if the child does well in school. Being bounced around in foster care is not good.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, white people would care if they were stopped and frisked, even if they are totally innocent.

No one likes to be falsely accused.

Lots of white people so drugs abs they wouldn’t want their family members to go to jail for drug use.

It was a white judge who ruled that stop and frisk us unconstitutional, as the constitution prohibits unreasonable search and seizure.

Btw, when people were imprisoned for say marijuana possession, when on le if not both parents are locked up in prison who has going to care if the child does well in school. Being bounced around in foster care is not good.

I was recently stopped and frisked at the airport (not the first time), and I didn't care. A security check is not an accusation, just a sign there is something (in my case, the dry shampoo in the carry-on) that increases the risk you MIGHT present a danger. Fair enough. I'd incomparably prefer to be stopped & frisked than to be blown up by undetected terrorists.

Re drugs, you know my position, that I would legalize all drugs (if somebody wants to wreck their life with that, they can go right ahead, not my problem), but I would want my pilot, my subway train driver, and my surgeon (black or white or any) still checked for drugs. And because right now drugs are unfortunately illegal and expensive, I would still.want everyone checked for drugs, because many addicts mug and kill in order to finance the habit. In short, I would want anybody checked who might be dangerous, including on account of drug habit. If they don't care how their own kids will survive while they are in jail, then their kids are not my business either. I don't have kids because I couldn't handle them - so why should I be expected to take up a concern about someone else's kids?

The point of stop and frisk is to detect a potential danger, not to disrespect anyone. Again, the obsession with "disrespect" in this situation is a sign of ridiculously warped priorities.

Goodness, it is 3 am, but this is the fourth day that I can't sleep at the right time. Overcoming a jetlag seems to be getting harder with age. Not related to the topic, but the explanation why I am here talking to you at all.

Incidentally, I'd vote for Bloomberg based on his record. I'd vote for a centrist with a proven governing ability, I don't care from which party (he doesn't care either, evidently. He can't run more appropriately as a Republican because he can't defeat Trump's pop image. But I don't think he can create a Democrat pop image for himself either. So unfortunately, I don't think Bloomberg will be an option).

Last edited by elnrgby; 11-22-2019 at 04:20 AM..

Old 11-22-2019, 04:33 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Critical thinking designed to get the wealthiest class wealthier. Conservatives think about nothing else.
Opinion:
As a Conservative I do not think of getting the wealthy wealthier. I am only guilty of attempting to
slowdown the bleeding out of my retirement nest egg long enough so I can have enough to pay for my eventual burial.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
He's stupid for apologizing, no he has no cred on either side. People need to learn from Trump, as stupid as he is in many matters, that you can go very far by sticking to your guns and just doubling down
Opinion: Well Done!

Old 11-22-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
It is disrespectful to be stopped and searched for no reason.

And those that you speak of, this rarely happens to "them"

I highly suggest you look up the stop n frisk stats.

88% of the 4.4 million stops were of people doing absolutely nothing wrong. In 83% of cases, the person stopped was black or Hispanic. Young black and Latino men only count for 4.7% of NYC's population. That's hardcore profiling.

All that said, Bloomberg isn't fooling anyone.
Opinion:
In terms of Statistics may I also add when the most crime is committed by the smallest percentile
of profiled individuals you can not exclude the probability of repetition by same profile and use of Stop
and Frisk serves as a deterrent. As an example: How many have had the experience of purchasing a
bad container of milk? Does it mean that all containers of milk will go bad as well? The answer is NO!
When a customer purchases Lactose free milk in comparison to Regular milk the odds of Lactose Free
Milk going bad are far less due to its longer expiration date. In order to avoid reliving another bad experience
every customer with a bit of common sense will always check the date on every container of milk more
often than other types of milk. Why would it be any different for Stop and Frisk. Every person of
suspect should be checked. Every person that matches the profile of crime being currently committed
should be the center of focus. If a rash of crimes are being committed by tall men with long red hair and
tattoos on their face it would be ridiculous to put at the top of the list of suspects the nuns residing in a
convent. Stop and Frisk has worked ,does work, and will continue to work once it is reinstated. Unfortunately,
In the end the customer is always right. The expiration dates have been removed from all containers.
Get used to the occasional sour taste of milk in your cups of coffee and cereal bowls.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:13 AM

254 posts, read 391,263 times
Quote:
If 10 people are stopped and it results in 1 arrest, how is that significant and effective?

You just wasted the time of 9 people for nothing. People going to work, school, home to kids/family, etc.

.... For 1 arrest.
Leave a little early. If you're a New Yorker, you should already be doing so. Wait till a loved one gets caught in a "wrong place wrong time" situation, and I'm sure you'll change your mind quick.

9 out of 10 to catch the 1? Where do I sign up?

Old 11-22-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietvam View Post
Leave a little early. If you're a New Yorker, you should already be doing so. Wait till a loved one gets caught in a "wrong place wrong time" situation, and I'm sure you'll change your mind quick.

9 out of 10 to catch the 1? Where do I sign up?

This what I am going to say is tangential to the topic of stop & frisk, but it is in fact very related. I am a global traveler, so tend to know this kind of news early: starting 2021, all American citizens (and pretty much everyome else), traveling to practically any European country, will have to obtain ETIAS clearance, ie, register your travel online with what is basically an international police agency. Each application will be subjected to a check by Interpol and Europol before you can pursue a tourist travel to France, Germany, UK, Scandinavia, Spain, Italy, almost anywhere in Europe. The ETIAS permit will cost something like 9 Euro, and will be good for 3 years. It will amount to electronic stop & frisk of EVERYONE traveling to Europe. The measure had been overwhelmingly demanded and supported by the majority of populations of most European countries. Decent people of the world strike back, most of them are fed up with being at the mercy of crime and terrorism for the sake of some nebulous political correctness.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:12 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,235,542 times
I’m not voting for him unless he gives me $$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City