Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times

Advertisements

A couple I've walked by, but haven't bought from (all UES but may have other locations)

leonardsnyc.com

fleishers.com

lobels.com

schallerweber.com Have bought from here (German sausage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Hoping you can name a few specific butcher shops. I actually dont notice too many around. There is zero in the asian sections of Flushing. Everyone just goes to supermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 08:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
From CIDA's Gothamist link:

Quote:
OTTOMANELLI & SONS MEAT MARKET: Old-school neighborhood butchers seem to be dying out in the city these days, so it's refreshing to stop by this classic NoHo macelleria for a taste of the real deal. Opened by the late patriarch Onofrio Ottomanelli over half a century ago, the store is now run by son Frank, and continues to serve up affordable prime cuts and Italian specialty meats to customers old and new. They specialize in certified black Angus rib-eyes, bone-in and bone-out, that are all naturally aged.
Butchers at Ottomanelli's know what they're doing, and they won't let you walk out of the store with a piece of meat that isn't top quality. And the vintage storefront itself, outfitted with hanging hunks of beef and pork, should be enough to entice any self-respecting carnivore passersby.
Ottomanelli & Sons is located at 285 Bleecker Street between Commerce Street and 7th Ave in the West Village (212-675-4217).

They had butcher shop/restaurant combination at 93rd and Lexington, a lousy block from my home. Every time we walked past Ottomanelli's we would promise one another to eat there soon. We dilly-dallied for years and they closed without our ever going.
Dammit.
Don't put off treating yourself well "till tomorrow" because mañana sometimes never comes.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:18 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,152,710 times
Stop-N-Shop and ShopRite have excellent meats. Stay away from the sub-standard supermarkets like Associated or Super Fresh. Local butchers are mostly a thing of the past in NYC.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,152,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But this aint the 60s when Italians were abound in the boros. Even when I go to South Shore LI, I dont see too many dedicated butchers. Even Iavaroni Brothers is really a super market.

And it's a real shame too.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
I'm a fan of the meat from Fairway. For steaks, I love their organic grass fed filet - I generally don't buy into the whole organic hullabaloo, and this is something like $28 a pound, but they're sooo good, and always cook up perfectly.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:38 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Venison.

Opening day on Saturday. 6 minutes in this guy made my day.
Took me till day 4 this year. Back strap!!!!

Old 11-20-2019, 11:47 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Stop-N-Shop and ShopRite have excellent meats. Stay away from the sub-standard supermarkets like Associated or Super Fresh. Local butchers are mostly a thing of the past in NYC.
There's that old school butcher in the Village.... Ottomanelli & Sons. There was one I used to pass by along 6th Avenue that seems to have closed down around 11th or 12th Street...

Old 11-21-2019, 02:53 PM

46 posts, read 30,528 times
For me it's still Whole Foods. I don't buy their regular-priced items as they're expensive, but every week they have meat selections on sale, and their on-sale prices are quite reasonable. The quality of their meat is almost always good. Their seafood, on the other hand, can be hit or miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City