Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 05:23 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
People here who believe gun restrictions should be even tougher, why? Can't you see it doesn't really do anything except disarm lawful responsible people while the criminals continue doing what they want?
That is correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Why do you want to carry a gun?

In order to protect one's self and/or their home, from those who would do you/your family harm. However, if YOU do not wish to own a gun, that is your right, as no one is forcing you to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Calling the process “easy” is a bit much. It’s super annoying, extremely expensive, and designed to dissuade people from applying. The fact is that if I can pass a background check, (which can be completely rather quickly these days) I should be issued a premise permit... the 500+ dollars and months of my life , multiple trips to police etc should not be required...the burden should be on the city to prove why I shouldn’t have a gun, not on me to the state to prove why I should have one... the citizen has the right to keep and bear arms , but nyc has forgotten that.

I agree, and furthermore, why should a NY state resident, one who has already passed a background check and has a CCW permit, be denied from being able to "legally carry" in NYC? And even furthermore, why won't NY enter into reciprocity agreements with other states??

Last edited by Airborneguy; 11-20-2019 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 05:27 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Sooner or later a NYC gun case will make it to SCOTUS

I have a NY unrestricted pistol license. Even though NYC claims I can't carry there sooner or later it will make it to SCOTUS and be seemed unconstitutional.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:34 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
We just won a partial battle ..nypd had to extend the right to be able to go to ranges outside nyc in New York State as well as allow a premise permit to be valid at a second home in New York State...

There already is a big case going forward that the courts agreed to hear ... nypd tried to squash the case by allowing the above to be amended last July but the court said they are still allowing the case to move forward by the New York rifle and pistol association

Old 11-20-2019, 05:49 AM

450 posts, read 474,804 times
Gun control is as worthless as the war on drugs. If you want to practice your 2a rights Pennsylvania is the closest place to do so. Ever notice how guns are a problem in places with the most gun control aka democratically run liberal "progressive" metropolitan areas? Guns aren't the problem, people are the problem.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:10 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Sooner or later a NYC gun case will make it to SCOTUS

I have a NY unrestricted pistol license. Even though NYC claims I can't carry there sooner or later it will make it to SCOTUS and be seemed unconstitutional.
A NYC case is at Scotus now.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-20-2019, 06:46 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,218,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There is a belief out there that gun ownership in nyc is prohibited and that is not the case ...anyone with a clean record can go through the process if they really want to ...very expensive is a relative term .... it cost 340 plus the fbi finger printing fee of about 89 dollars .

You can apply on line and will have to make a few trips for various things but it is no big deal for someone who wants one.

You can argue the laws here all you want as far as the system but it is what it is

Which has to be renewed. So it's a modern day poll tax.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:55 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
If you have a bit of change and a clean record where you can pass a background check, you can get a gun in NYC. Why is it that you’re having difficulty in terms of legally owning a gun?

The problem is that yahoos can get them from other states can get guns without a real background check. The restrictions adds something to the price and availability of guns in NYC since there’s a bit more risk and a bit more travel to sell those guns here in the black market, but the issue is that these background checks and gun control policies probably need to be on a federal level (unless you can get all 50 states to individually pass laws to make thorough background checks to purchase guns and/or ammunition, lol! Good luck with that!).

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-iron-pipeline

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-20-2019 at 07:04 AM..

Old 11-20-2019, 07:00 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Which has to be renewed. So it's a modern day poll tax.
So, do you want a progressive license fee based on income?

Old 11-20-2019, 07:57 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,218,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So, do you want a progressive license fee based on income?

I want no fee, it doesn't directly cost me to cast a vote, why should it cost me to exercise rights guaranteed in the constitution?

But I'm realistic, there should be a nominal processing fee. Just like sometimes there are fees and permits required to exercise my right to assemble.

The right to carry laws are archaic in NYC, and hopefully SCOTUS will change that.

As noted up thread, I shouldn't have to prove to the Gov't why I have to carry.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:11 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
I want no fee, it doesn't directly cost me to cast a vote, why should it cost me to exercise rights guaranteed in the constitution?

But I'm realistic, there should be a nominal processing fee. Just like sometimes there are fees and permits required to exercise my right to assemble.

The right to carry laws are archaic in NYC, and hopefully SCOTUS will change that.

As noted up thread, I shouldn't have to prove to the Gov't why I have to carry.
SCOTUS will not change the carry laws in nyc ... there are other issues they are looking at though such as the use of the premise permit as a proxy for a permit that allows you to hunt or go to a range since state law says you can’t be off premise.

The police commissioner gives you a permission slip to do so but he has no jurisdiction outside of nyc to tell other localities he is over riding the state law which says you can’t be off premise.

The lower courts dismissed this issue earlier when nyc did away with what they called a hunting target permit.. they said the premise permit has not been a problem but now the higher courts re examining the situation.

The old target hunting license was actually a restricted carry permit . Very few did not carry with it since if you got caught it was an administrative violation not a crime .

The residence permit made it criminal so they switched
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City