Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2019, 11:50 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...JmYb6a9972o70w

Edward Funches has a city permit that allows him to park where many other drivers cannot. Trouble is, he often cannot find an open spot.

"I am very frustrated. Because so many people have all different types of plaques," he said.

On Tuesday he found a spot in a no standing zone near City Hall, but it wasn't easy. The area was thick with vehicles displaying special parking permits. At the same time, the City Council was trying to fix that — passing nine bills attacking so-called placard abuse, or drivers abusing city parking passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 01:08 PM

2,981 posts, read 1,164,508 times
I bet it won't touch City Council's own Abuse of the Parking Placard!

Old 11-28-2019, 07:28 AM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
The seriously messed up when they gave them the placards that allow them to park their personal vehicle anywhere. If they are on official business I understand but 90% of them are not.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:19 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
The seriously messed up when they gave them the placards that allow them to park their personal vehicle anywhere. If they are on official business I understand but 90% of them are not.
Very few placards allow a personal vehicle to be parked anywhere... at my agency there is a few types of placards... one is for personal vehicles and it permits the vehicle to park on agency property, this is to ensure the general public is not parking in a city owned lot for example. This is what most workers have.

One is for city vehicles or personal to park on city streets in a designated place while on official business... For example , the curbline immediately outside an agency building. This is usually for higher ups who do not work at the said building, but may be working their for the day or part of the day... for example, the card says valid on LS of 9th ave, 54 to 53rd st. This pass does not permit parking on no standing zones etc.

One is for city vehicles only on official business, that allows you to park anywhere except hydranTs, fire lanes, bus stops , bus lanes, handicap etc.

No pass allows any vehicle to park anywhere.

Now, what you are referring to is people just not following the rules and not getting ticketed. I can say though, they are def stepping up enforcement.

My coworker received a summons while He had his placard on his dashboard and He was in a legal meter spot, that Was paid for but the meter ran out, and instead of just getting a ticket for an expired meter like any civilian would, He received a summons for improper use of placard and got written up at work for it.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
And all of them are abuses of common sense and fairness.

Old 11-28-2019, 04:08 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Very few placards allow a personal vehicle to be parked anywhere... at my agency there is a few types of placards... one is for personal vehicles and it permits the vehicle to park on agency property, this is to ensure the general public is not parking in a city owned lot for example. This is what most workers have.

One is for city vehicles or personal to park on city streets in a designated place while on official business... For example , the curbline immediately outside an agency building. This is usually for higher ups who do not work at the said building, but may be working their for the day or part of the day... for example, the card says valid on LS of 9th ave, 54 to 53rd st. This pass does not permit parking on no standing zones etc.

One is for city vehicles only on official business, that allows you to park anywhere except hydranTs, fire lanes, bus stops , bus lanes, handicap etc.

No pass allows any vehicle to park anywhere.

Now, what you are referring to is people just not following the rules and not getting ticketed. I can say though, they are def stepping up enforcement.

My coworker received a summons while He had his placard on his dashboard and He was in a legal meter spot, that Was paid for but the meter ran out, and instead of just getting a ticket for an expired meter like any civilian would, He received a summons for improper use of placard and got written up at work for it.
Correct, government workers do not follow the rules and do not get ticketed because fellow offers were not enforcing it. Im happy hearing that now they are but whose to say those summons are not being thrown out or reduced once they appear in court.

What was your coworkers mindset of putting the placard on the dash in the first place if they legally had a spot? Its like they did it out of habit not realizing they were legally parked.

Another abuse I constantly see is the Thin blue line sticker on license plates. I remember I had to go over by the new social security office on 161st and there were cars triple parked all along side it (who didn't park on the sidewalk double parked in the street). All the vehicles had thin blue line stickers and something on the dash, from a placard, to a vest that say police, or my favorite the had written sign. All despite there is a huge parking lot right behind the building but they don't want to pay for parking.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:04 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Correct, government workers do not follow the rules and do not get ticketed because fellow offers were not enforcing it. Im happy hearing that now they are but whose to say those summons are not being thrown out or reduced once they appear in court.

What was your coworkers mindset of putting the placard on the dash in the first place if they legally had a spot? Its like they did it out of habit not realizing they were legally parked.

Another abuse I constantly see is the Thin blue line sticker on license plates. I remember I had to go over by the new social security office on 161st and there were cars triple parked all along side it (who didn't park on the sidewalk double parked in the street). All the vehicles had thin blue line stickers and something on the dash, from a placard, to a vest that say police, or my favorite the had written sign. All despite there is a huge parking lot right behind the building but they don't want to pay for parking.
I can’t speak for him , but I could tell you, I never take my placard in and out of my car, I just leave it on the dash, even when I get home or stop at the store or whatever, it’s usually just there , and usually it’s not a problem cause I always park legally... but in the case where a meter runs out, it could look like your trying to abuse the placard, but the traffic cop should have some discretion to see a parking meter stub on the dash as well and just write the ticket for expired meter , if the guy was really trying to use the placard to not pay, he just wouldn’t have paid the meter at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City