Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 11:51 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,323,735 times

Advertisements

I would agree that Birch is a good spot for coffee, since I rarely make anything at home, despite having a good coffee maker. I also like the coffee from Bouchon, which is Equator Coffee and available at various locations. I am not a fan of burned coffee beans from Seattle-based roasters, so I have to be desperate to frequent one of their locations.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 06:43 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,444,165 times
culture coffee

Old 12-12-2019, 07:52 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
culture coffee
Had their coffee again on Sunday... Super sour... The only reason I keep giving them a chance is because their cookies are amazing, but the coffee leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,600,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
We've been taught that whole milk is bad for you for years about the fat content. For years I slowly went from whole milk in college to 2%, to 1%, and then to skim. Now I've been going in the opposite direction. My girlfriend hates skim milk, so I compromised and went with 1%, and now I've even been getting organic whole milk here and there, which is great. The taste can't be beat. I would say that drinking 1% I don't really miss the fat lost. It's a nice middle ground if you want some fat in your milk. I can do skim depending on the brand. I think Stonyfield and Organic Valley do a nice job.I don't worry either way. I think it's all about moderation, but I've always wondered about the whole oat milk craze. Some people also refuse to put any sugar in their coffee. I think one or two teaspoons is fine if you are just having one coffee a day. It's a small amount of sugar if you don't drink any other sugary drinks and stick with still or sparkling water.
From a taste perspective with coffee, you need the fat to accentuate the acidity and flavor profile of the coffee. There are some coffees that you drink black, like medium roast. For darker roast, having creme just makes the roast stand out. When you drink 1%,2%, and skim milk it makes coffees taste flat. Which is why whenever you have lattes it has to be fat milk. You cannot make a foam with low fat milk, just like you can't make whipped cream in a frappe with low fat milk. I giggled when some girl asked the barista that you wants low-fat whipped cream. There is no way to make a fluffy cream with low fat milk because the fluffy steam is fat. Anyways, fat is where the flavor is at when it comes to making coffees taste richer and allows you to taste the profile easier.

I make a bullet-proof coffee almost every day, which consists of heavy cream and butter over dark roast coffee and gets me going every morning.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3034539/...-for-two-weeks

So forget the 1%-skim milk, there is more carbs and sugar that will make you fat than drinking milk with just butter and heavy fat milk.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:58 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,618,793 times
What's good in the Village and/or West Village?

Old 12-12-2019, 09:16 PM

88,286 posts, read 84,276,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I like Trader Joe's Dark Roast (not the French so much).
I get Bolivian Blend at TJ's and grind it there. It's a good, full, medium-bodied, everyday coffee.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:00 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,444,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Had their coffee again on Sunday... Super sour... The only reason I keep giving them a chance is because their cookies are amazing, but the coffee leaves a lot to be desired.

i actually go for the cookies. When I drink coffee at a coffee shop, its usually something sweet and fu-fu. I can't drink coffee because it gives me the shakes, heart papilitations, and I'm up until 6 am

Old 12-12-2019, 10:10 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i actually go for the cookies. When I drink coffee at a coffee shop, its usually something sweet and fu-fu. I can't drink coffee because it gives me the shakes, heart papilitations, and I'm up until 6 am
Haha... So what kind of drink do you get? Regarding their cookies, they swear up and down that they are made in-house and not from Levain bakery.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I get Bolivian Blend at TJ's and grind it there. It's a good, full, medium-bodied, everyday coffee.
Darn. Read this too late. Was at TJs tonight and bought dark roast. Next time.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:22 AM

63 posts, read 45,771 times
Dark roast coffees are usually made with cheaper beans. You're tasting more of the roasting than the quality of the actual beans.

One of my favorite coffee shops is Round K on Allen St in LES. Bad coffee gives me a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City