Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2019, 09:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

https://www.internations.org/press/p...-in-2020-39934

NYC ranked in the bottom ten cities. In big part due to cost of living. Other things such as work life balance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 07:22 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

NYC ranked in the bottom ten cities. In big part due to cost of living. Other things such as work life balance, etc.

The list has a patchy correspondence to reality (likely due to sampling error), but it does show the right trends for various places, if not always the exactly right position in the ranking - eg, Vienna and Bangkok are correctly ranked pretty high, but should in fact be ranked even higher. The one ranking with which I totally agree is Montreal (all the reasons mentioned are the reason why I am considering to move my East Coast base from also reasonably well ranking Boston to even better Montreal in retirement). Overall, from the appearance of the ranking, I would guess that the expat population sampled in the surveys from which the ranking was made was predominantly somewhat lower income (no software engineer from New Delhi who expatriated into Silicon Valley for a decent salary would rank San Francisco that low :-).

The conclusion would be that NYC is still probably good to visit or to have a pied a terre, but not to have the home (or the primary home) there.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The list has a patchy correspondence to reality (likely due to sampling error), but it does show the right trends for various places, if not always the exactly right position in the ranking - eg, Vienna and Bangkok are correctly ranked pretty high, but should in fact be ranked even higher. The one ranking with which I totally agree is Montreal (all the reasons mentioned are the reason why I am considering to move my East Coast base from also reasonably well ranking Boston to even better Montreal in retirement). Overall, from the appearance of the ranking, I would guess that the expat population sampled in the surveys from which the ranking was made was predominantly somewhat lower income (no software engineer from New Delhi who expatriated into Silicon Valley for a decent salary would rank San Francisco that low :-).

The conclusion would be that NYC is still probably good to visit or to have a pied a terre, but not to have the home (or the primary home) there.
Montreal sounds nice. Especially if you like cold weather. And safe. You won't have to worry about de Blasio's legacy. I hope you enjoy it if you move.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Montreal sounds nice. Especially if you like cold weather. And safe. You won't have to worry about de Blasio's legacy. I hope you enjoy it if you move.

Sure, de Blasio is definitely a considerable factor in my decision :-).

Old 12-22-2019, 03:29 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:

So guess that means you'll be staying in sunny Spain?

Old 12-23-2019, 05:08 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:

You get a very diminished experience of Montreal if you don’t speak and read French with a decent degree of fluency.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You get a very diminished experience of Montreal if you don’t speak and read French with a decent degree of fluency.

I have been to Montreal, and got an excellent experience of it with my level of French.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:23 AM

596 posts, read 253,131 times
any American city would be ranked low

its harder to get a Work Visa nowadays and applicants plummeted.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:32 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
I have been to Montreal, and got an excellent experience of it with my level of French.
Sure, it’s fun as it is for tourists who don’t speak French at all. I’m saying it’s a very diminished experience when you can’t speak it fluently as your circle becomes quite small and tourist-y. There’s a rich cultural life and media in the city that is very Francophone. The city, province, and country is also pretty left in most respects compared to NYC, NYS, and the US, so I guess it’s just as well you don’t participate as you state beliefs that would be considered hideous over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City