Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 06:59 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,949 times

Advertisements

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!! I just happen to be watching 60 Minutes, and it was about the homelessness population in Seattle, Washington, home of Microsoft and Google. There were multitude of huts on the sidewalks, apparently supplied by some agency, as they appeared to have been manufactured for that purpose, and are blue on dark blue. and every place they could fit one, had one. But, what upset it me the most, is seeing families with toddlers sleeping in these huts on top of the snow. Due to climate change, Seattle is seeing much more snow than the few flakes of before.

In California, specifically San Francisco and Los Angeles have been experiencing the same thing.

I first saw the invasion of homelessness in St. Petersburg, and Sarasota, in Florida. I have not been there for a while, so I do not know how is it now.

We ALL know that the MAIN issue with homelessness is MENTAL ILLNESS, DRUGS, ALCOHOL, AND GAMBLING, and the fact that we have lost the war on drugs, since the cartels have taken over the Mexican Government. Yes, unaffordable housing plays a part, also, to a certain extent.

I know that NYC has some issues of homelessness, but not as extensive, as what I saw on TV tonight.

I also know that for myriad of years, many cities have tried to get rid of it, without any luck.

What is your take on the issue of homelessness? And do you think NYC is on the way to become another Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 07:09 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
NYC has homeless problem, but I don’t think it will get to b the point of setting up tents on sidewalks.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:25 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
NYC has homeless problem, but I don’t think it will get to b the point of setting up tents on sidewalks.

Do not be so sure. Under the present administration, NYC has become way too soft..........and anything is possible......

Old 12-01-2019, 07:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
There have been many charts on the interwerbz showing that NYC has more homeless than even LA.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Wow, Wow, Wow!!!! I just happen to be watching 60 Minutes, and it was about the homelessness population in Seattle, Washington, home of Microsoft and Google. There were multitude of huts on the sidewalks, apparently supplied by some agency, as they appeared to have been manufactured for that purpose, and are blue on dark blue. and every place they could fit one, had one. But, what upset it me the most, is seeing families with toddlers sleeping in these huts on top of the snow. Due to climate change, Seattle is seeing much more snow than the few flakes of before.

In California, specifically San Francisco and Los Angeles have been experiencing the same thing.

I first saw the invasion of homelessness in St. Petersburg, and Sarasota, in Florida. I have not been there for a while, so I do not know how is it now.

We ALL know that the MAIN issue with homelessness is MENTAL ILLNESS, DRUGS, ALCOHOL, AND GAMBLING, and the fact that we have lost the war on drugs, since the cartels have taken over the Mexican Government. Yes, unaffordable housing plays a part, also, to a certain extent.

I know that NYC has some issues of homelessness, but not as extensive, as what I saw on TV tonight.

I also know that for myriad of years, many cities have tried to get rid of it, without any luck.

What is your take on the issue of homelessness? And do you think NYC is on the way to become another Seattle?
Or it could be these cities became super expensive, and homelessness went through the roof because they could not realistically earn enough money to rent.

It could be of course if people don't want to support free mental health services, that of course you cannot expect people with mental health and addiction issues to get better.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:01 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
But, what upset it me the most, is seeing families with toddlers sleeping in these huts on top of the snow. Due to climate change, Seattle is seeing much more snow than the few flakes of before.

I spent most of the winter of 2015 in Seattle, and I saw the tents, but did not see any snow. LA and SF are experiencing snow? Not to my knowledge. Climate change consists of global warming actually. All three cities have had large homeless populations for a long time, mostly due to relatively mild weather (although I think SF had the coldest recorded Nov days ever this weekend - I stayed indoors, so am not sure how the homeless addressed the uncommonly cold rain; however, the past few days have been rare and atypical for SF temperaturewise). But I don't know why is homelessness in these cities all of a sudden being treated as some new surprise - they have had visible homelessness for as long as these cities have existed.

San Francisco has a homeless outreach team that can be reached by phone 24/7, and even has a Public Library service dedicated to managing the homeless. A huge part of the problem is that a lot of the homeless do not want to be removed from the streets. There are "navigation centers" in SF, basically a fancy name for new expanded homeless shelters, but they are apparently quite unsafe because there is no legal way to enforce safety. This past summer, it was voted to implement a pilot program of enforced institutional treatment of mental illness and addiction among the San Francisco homeless, but the program cannot go ahead because "activists" complain that it violates civil liberties.

The city offers a roof over head with basic food and showers, but people inside use the space to attack each other. The city offers treatment for mental illness, but it is rejected as an unlawful restriction of liberty. So what can the city do then? How would you solve the problem, would you like to offer your living room to the homeless?

Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,902,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or it could be these cities became super expensive, and homelessness went through the roof because they could not realistically earn enough money to rent.

No, it isn't that. Obviously.

If affordability were the problem, these homeless would have moved. That's what normal people do. Given a choice between homelessness and moving, normal people move.

But these homeless are mentally ill, alcoholics, druggies, or some combination. They'd be homeless in any city. They prefer to be homeless in Seattle, L.A., S.F., and NYC because these expensive, liberal cities provide generous social services, and because the police are soft on crime.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:32 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
Quote:
Do not be so sure. Under the present administration, NYC has become way too soft..........and anything is possible......
Until I see those tents up on the street, I will stick to what I believe for now.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:36 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:

As soon as I saw the phony brainwashing about "climate change", I dismissed the rest of your Chicken Little "thinking".

Google is headquartered in California, BTW.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:07 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Climate change consists of global warming actually
yes, on average. But it also displaces air streams so that all of a sudden arctic air gets pumped into the lower 48 and places like Alaska have record heat in the winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: