Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:39 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

yesterday I was in the 34th street station of the 1 line trying to add money to my metrocard in a crowded station. My wallet was open and as I went to feed the machine with bills a black gentleman starts asking me if I'd like to purchase a $5 metrocard from him

I shrugged and made an annoyed non-verbal gesture and drew a deep breath of annoyance at his presence. I would do this to anyone who did this regardless of color, race, religion etc because I don't like taking my wallet out in public while i am concentrating on the machines, which can be frustrating and half the time don't even work right. In fact due to my humble reticent nature this type of things happens to me on the job but in a different context but I won't go into detail

this man seeing my exasperation, says "well what do you know we have a racist here, a pure racist!".

not even wanting to deal with what i just heard, i simply found another area with machines to add money to my card. i had enough

i suppose i am not allowed to have a bad day or have my own personal quirks and preferences when it comes to taking out my wallet. i am supposed to just say 'yes' or act in a way that i don't wish to act

then this AM i was buying a metroocard in my local station and i see a notice atop saying that selling or purchasing a metrocard from anywhere other than the MTA or a retailer is some type of offense punishable by some fine or other

any comments about this incident?

I don't consider myself a prejudiced person nor a racist. I myself work with the indigent and underprivileged and have found that working with minorities both as clients and colleagues has enhanced the depth and breadth of my life experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:42 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
LOL. The guy was just trying to make you feel guilty. Please, that's the most annoying thing in the subway, the guys offering to swipe you through, I've gotten loud with several of them at Mott Avenue on a Sunday night while getting my monthly MetroCard. That's why they have the little mirror on the machine so you can see who approaching you from behind. Those guys are very persistent, and they're like the modern-day squeegee men, they're just underground. But trust me, you're no Grand Wizard or anything.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 04-20-2008 at 04:22 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 02:58 PM

But trust me, you're no Grand Wizard or anything.

Far from it, I'm a Jewish guy with hair loss with glasses!!

Another thing i forgot to ask is why would anyone try to sell you a metrocard that's not from the source? Did he mean $5 to purchase from him but with less $$$ actually on it?

Old 04-20-2008, 04:22 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Just chalk it up to this at the end of the day:
People need money.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-20-2008, 11:28 PM

45 posts, read 256,393 times
Absurd! It's sad when people resort to calling people racist based on the fact that they didn't get the reaction they wanted from a person. Unfortunately, we can sometimes make meaningless incidents mean something simply by dwelling on them.

Rest assured, it's he who has the problem, not you.

Cheers.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
I agree that the guy was just trying to push your buttons.

It's a full moon. The loonies were out in droves Sunday. I won't bore you with my encounters.

I see you snickering! Yes, you! But there's definitely something to this full moon=lunatic season business. My dog never got into a squabble with other dogs except the three or four days around a full moon.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I'm surprised you even let this bother you. The subways are full of lunatics and crazies.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 AM

I'm surprised you even let this bother you. The subways are full of lunatics and crazies.

Strangely I have not encountered this before.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 AM

313 posts, read 1,053,274 times
My first thought was that had you bought that Metrocard, you may have found that there was no money on it at all. There would have been no way to verify on the spot that there was definitely money on it (unless they've added those card readers to the vending machines since I've last been there).

Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
Why is this even an issue...I hear far worse from crazies on a daily basis....you are living in NYC...get used to the dummies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City