Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 11:09 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times

Advertisements

Kosher diet you can’t eat dairy and meat together. You eat dairy wait 6 hours to eat meat. It’s very strict for those who keep kosher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 11:46 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
You can serve meat and dairy in the same restaurant, just not on the same plate. They can't "touch" each other. It's not that big a deal when you're used to it. I used to have to navigate this when I was managing luncheons for a BOD for a Jewish museum that kept kosher.
We had a deli out in Fair Lawn that had separate entrances for the meat and dairy sides.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Kosher diet you can’t eat dairy and meat together. You eat dairy wait 6 hours to eat meat. It’s very strict for those who keep kosher.
I think everyone understands that. The question was more about how you keep them separate in the same restaurant.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:25 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
Have no idea. Maybe 2 kitchens.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
I only eat kosher sushi. I don’t like weird seafood like eel.

Weird seafood like SHRIMP?

Old 12-09-2019, 05:52 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How do "Kosher restaurants" get around the separate plates issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
You can serve meat and dairy in the same restaurant, just not on the same plate. They can't "touch" each other. It's not that big a deal when you're used to it. I used to have to navigate this when I was managing luncheons for a BOD for a Jewish museum that kept kosher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think everyone understands that. The question was more about how you keep them separate in the same restaurant.
Quote:
Have no idea. Maybe 2 kitchens.
As already mentioned most kosher restaurants are either dairy based or meat based. Since there needs to be strict separation between dairy and meat products which includes not only 2 complete separate sets of dishes, flatware as well as pots & pans (for dairy meals vs. meat meals) but also separate sinks/dishwashers/washing facilities for strict separation, most kosher restaurants either just serve dairy dishes or just serve meat based dishes. Fish and other "parve" (neutral) foods can be served together with either dairy or meat meals.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 AM

Separate dishwashers:
Manuel washes dairy plates,
Hose' does the meat plates.
Luis washed the traif plates.

From what I understand the prohibition against mixing comes from the dictum that no animal should be cooked in its mother's milk. Has anyone ever milked a chicken?

Old 12-09-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Separate dishwashers:
Manuel washes dairy plates,
Hose' does the meat plates.
Luis washed the traif plates.

From what I understand the prohibition against mixing comes from the dictum that no animal should be cooked in its mother's milk. Has anyone ever milked a chicken?
You wouldn't have any treif in a kosher restaurant.

Cute on your chicken milking, but the discussions about the kosher rules have occurred several times already on the Judaism subforum of Religion & Spirituality. There IS an "Ask a Jew" thread, if you are respectful when you go there.

Plus the R&S mods are GREAT.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:29 AM

but the discussions about the kosher rules have occurred several times already on the Judaism subforum of Religion & Spirituality. There IS an "Ask a Jew" thread, if you are respectful when you go there.

So there is a Judaism SUBFORUM, not that I would ever bother going there. But that indicates that subfora are POSSIBLE on Citi-data.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:33 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I thought that most forums have subforums. The NYC forum is a subforum for the New York State forum. The recipe forum is a subforum in the Food and Drink forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City