Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 08:53 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Just as Obama expanded Medicaid if the Democrats win in 2020 they will set up a socialized medical system just like Canada, European nations, and Australia.

You’re way behind the political times of the US and especially NY, where no Republican has any change at state wide office.

So at least some of that tax burden will be federal.

No, all of that "tax" burden will be individual. A socialized medical system actually means that everyone pays into it (just as in the nations that you mention). You pay into it whether you are rich or poor, whether you pay taxes or not. No more Medicaid. No more lawsuits against individual physicians (similar to tort system in federal hospitals - if you want to sue for a medical error at VA, you have to sue the government). I don't particularly care, go ahead with your socialized medical system (it will hit your welfare pals (on their pocket and otherwise), not me, since I'll retain a private insurance - which is btw also available in the countries that you mention, for people who do not want to use the national plan). You are as "knowledgeable" as usual :-).

It does not seem to compute in your head that it is not possible to divide a zero and obtain an actual number. You cannot expand the number of free healthcare recipients if there is no money to fund that expansion. Tax burden on a self-employed person earning about $350k per year (including federal + state + local taxes) in NYC and CA is already about 50% of that person's income. You can't with a straight face ask that person to pay more for the support of scum than the person spends for supporting himself/herself - because that person will leave your city, state or even country if you try that.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-10-2019 at 09:19 AM..

Old 12-10-2019, 06:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No, all of that "tax" burden will be individual. A socialized medical system actually means that everyone pays into it (just as in the nations that you mention). You pay into it whether you are rich or poor, whether you pay taxes or not. No more Medicaid. No more lawsuits against individual physicians (similar to tort system in federal hospitals - if you want to sue for a medical error at VA, you have to sue the government). I don't particularly care, go ahead with your socialized medical system (it will hit your welfare pals (on their pocket and otherwise), not me, since I'll retain a private insurance - which is btw also available in the countries that you mention, for people who do not want to use the national plan). You are as "knowledgeable" as usual :-).

It does not seem to compute in your head that it is not possible to divide a zero and obtain an actual number. You cannot expand the number of free healthcare recipients if there is no money to fund that expansion. Tax burden on a self-employed person earning about $350k per year (including federal + state + local taxes) in NYC and CA is already about 50% of that person's income. You can't with a straight face ask that person to pay more for the support of scum than the person spends for supporting himself/herself - because that person will leave your city, state or even country if you try that.
Being that I actually live in Spain (and never lived in a dump like Serbia) yes, I do know how public healthcare system in the EU is funded.

Via social security taxes, and also via sales taxes. It's no secret. Everyone pays into the health system, that everyone uses.

You will shortly be collecting medicare, and if you have to go into a nursing home you'll be collecting medicaid yourself as serious medical bills in old age deplete the savings of all but the richest people.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Being that I actually live in Spain (and never lived in a dump like Serbia) yes, I do know how public healthcare system in the EU is funded.

Via social security taxes, and also via sales taxes. It's no secret. Everyone pays into the health system, that everyone uses.

You will shortly be collecting medicare, and if you have to go into a nursing home you'll be collecting medicaid yourself as serious medical bills in old age deplete the savings of all but the richest people.

I never lived in Serbia either (but occasional people - and who knows, some of them you might have even met on this forum :-) - have been known to graduate from med school in either Croatia or Serbia, and go on for a residency at Ivy League university hospitals in the US :-). But most of my family lives in Western Europe where they actually also have real jobs rather than teaching English courses, something that the UK and US college students do on extended European vacations as a fun and easy alternative to flipping hamburgers.

But yeah, even you agree that everyone in Western Europe pays into the health system, and you can expect the same in the US if the system gets instituted.

For "collecting" Medicare at 65, I had paid Medicare taxes for decades in the US (and for two decades, I had paid the full amount of them because I had been self-employed, while someone else's employees have 1/2 of those taxes paid for them by the employer). When I get insured via Medicare, I will continue paying my monthly Medicare premium (which is prorated according to retirement income - but even with the lowest incomes, it is more than $100 per month).

If I have to go to a nursing home, I will go to a nursing home in Thailand (which costs $2,000 per month for a total 24/7 care. This is less than half of the annuity that I am already getting paid right now, which I have earned and set up for my retirement as a self-employed person, and which annuity income will gradually double every 20 years).

Even without that plan firmly in place, your statement that everybody except the richest ends up depleting their savings in the old age truly shows the extent of your cluelessness. Total depletion of assets in the old age is not very common, except among people who always existed at the edge of poverty anyway, even before retiring. People who have any assets at all generally make their retirement plans in such a way that they can afford whatever retirement they are planning for themselves, til the end. If someone has been a bum all their life, sure they will continue bumming in the old age, but they don't have too much to deplete to start with. Average normal people generally like to reasonably insure their future, which is one of the reasons why insurance companies are doing so well, and have more funds to pay out than anybody ends up needing.

The likelyhood that I'll ever be collecting Medicaid is about equal to the likelyhood that you'll ever be able to grow a higher IQ, ie, very close to zero, as close to zero as it possibly can get. I don't come from an exploitive or a "victim" mindset, I do not see it as normal or expected for anyone to be on Medicaid.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-11-2019 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
New York faces its largest budget crisis in a decade. This is the reason why.

The budget crisis of the decade started in 2018 but materialized in 2019. As the GOP taxcut in 2018 made millionaires leave in droves.

Without millionaires and their income to support the state the tax revenue shortfalls of $3-4 billion this year and it is estimated to increase to $6-9 billion after April 2020 tax reporting.

The biggest problem with NY is that it is a Sanctuary state and the article above illustrates why it is expensive to be sanctuary state when 1/3 of your population is on Medicaid you know many of them are illegals.

When you keep spending the taxpayer's money without discretion even without the GOP's tax plan, the state is barely able to keep the light's running.

Even with the millionaire still living in NY, it would still be close to a budget shortfall or break even when the stock market did well the last 2 years.

We have a huge spending problem in NY, if Cuomo and DeBlasio do not fix the spending problem. More millionaires will pack up and leave due to tax hikes if they decide to implement them in stages. I expect Cuomo to hike property tax simply by doing tax assessment and then utility use hikes that can easily bring a 10-15% hike without announcement.

This problem is not gonna go away even if Trump leaves office. It will take a new congressional tax review and legislation to amend the tax policies to even think about a tax revision policy that hasn't happened in over a decade until Trump took office with a GOP majority in the senate and house.

The easiest way for Cuomo and DeBlasio to fix it now is to make the people who can't leave the city and state pay their tax hikes.

Btw, I have a feeling that the funds crisis in NY will indeed get partially solved by some form of requirement that Medicaid recipients pay something for their health insurance. At least all the people who got Medicaid in NY without being in fact eligible for it may be required to pay healthcare premiums retrogradely. The state does not have any other realistic way of getting out of a $9 billion deficit that is expected to worsen.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Btw, I have a feeling that the funds crisis in NY will indeed get partially solved by some form of requirement that Medicaid recipients pay something for their health insurance. At least all the people who got Medicaid in NY without being in fact eligible for it may be required to pay healthcare premiums retrogradely. The state does not have any other realistic way of getting out of a $9 billion deficit that is expected to worsen.
It doesn't work that way, Medicaid was created to help hospitals not help patients. You see, people keep going to hospitals without any health insurance then hospitals can't collect money from poor broke people. So Medicaid was introduce to allow hospital charge the government with unpaid hospital bills.

Since it is NOT a medical insurance, most private places don't accept it.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
It doesn't work that way, Medicaid was created to help hospitals not help patients. You see, people keep going to hospitals without any health insurance then hospitals can't collect money from poor broke people. So Medicaid was introduce to allow hospital charge the government with unpaid hospital bills.

Since it is NOT a medical insurance, most private places don't accept it.

Oh yes, I am very familiar with that, I am aware of the reasons for Medicaid (my career is in healthcare, although on the caretaker side rather than the administrative side of it). It does not mean that the government can't ask at least some Medicaid recipients to pay some amount of $ for their healthcare. People who qualified for Medicaid in NY incorrectly certainly do work and can pay an ACA premium, eg, via mandatory employer participation in a health plan (where the employer is required to pay for the employees' health insurance, and takes that off of the employee's paycheck - the way it recently became mandatory in MA for nearly all employers). Many of those who don't work also qualify for other welfare in addition to Medicaid, and a part of their welfare money can be allocated to Medicaid (ie, they would be paying for Medicaid by receiving a smaller welfare "paycheck").

Old 12-11-2019, 10:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
If it is a deferred annuity there are different tax rules...if it isn’t then I have no idea what you are referring to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGw3A9Dg-Q

Old 12-11-2019, 11:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Oh yes, I am very familiar with that, I am aware of the reasons for Medicaid (my career is in healthcare, although on the caretaker side rather than the administrative side of it). It does not mean that the government can't ask at least some Medicaid recipients to pay some amount of $ for their healthcare. People who qualified for Medicaid in NY incorrectly certainly do work and can pay an ACA premium, eg, via mandatory employer participation in a health plan (where the employer is required to pay for the employees' health insurance, and takes that off of the employee's paycheck - the way it recently became mandatory in MA for nearly all employers). Many of those who don't work also qualify for other welfare in addition to Medicaid, and a part of their welfare money can be allocated to Medicaid (ie, they would be paying for Medicaid by receiving a smaller welfare "paycheck").
Then you know why the ACA is failing because it is only being supported by those who have a paystub. People who earn money by cash or indirectly can easily cheat the system and get government to subsidize a portion.

The German healthcare system is what the ACA could've been by requiring everyone to buy insurance or buy it through the government ran insurance. Everyone pays, even if you have none. You are required to sign up and apply for insurance then pay the required co-pays.

The US has a cheat system, whoever finds a way to cheat pays nothing and everybody else has pay into the ACA's costs as taxes or fines before the fines were repealed.

The current system penalizes workers and incentivize people to cheat or not work.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Then you know why the ACA is failing because it is only being supported by those who have a paystub. People who earn money by cash or indirectly can easily cheat the system and get government to subsidize a portion.

The German healthcare system is what the ACA could've been by requiring everyone to buy insurance or buy it through the government ran insurance. Everyone pays, even if you have none. You are required to sign up and apply for insurance then pay the required co-pays.

The US has a cheat system, whoever finds a way to cheat pays nothing and everybody else has pay into the ACA's costs as taxes or fines before the fines were repealed.

The current system penalizes workers and incentivize people to cheat or not work.

All of that is correct (except that in the second paragraph you probably meant monthly premiums, rather than co-pays).

Old 12-11-2019, 04:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
I never lived in Serbia either (but occasional people - and who knows, some of them you might have even met on this forum :-) - have been known to graduate from med school in either Croatia or Serbia, and go on for a residency at Ivy League university hospitals in the US :-). But most of my family lives in Western Europe where they actually also have real jobs rather than teaching English courses, something that the UK and US college students do on extended European vacations as a fun and easy alternative to flipping hamburgers.

But yeah, even you agree that everyone in Western Europe pays into the health system, and you can expect the same in the US if the system gets instituted.

For "collecting" Medicare at 65, I had paid Medicare taxes for decades in the US (and for two decades, I had paid the full amount of them because I had been self-employed, while someone else's employees have 1/2 of those taxes paid for them by the employer). When I get insured via Medicare, I will continue paying my monthly Medicare premium (which is prorated according to retirement income - but even with the lowest incomes, it is more than $100 per month).

If I have to go to a nursing home, I will go to a nursing home in Thailand (which costs $2,000 per month for a total 24/7 care. This is less than half of the annuity that I am already getting paid right now, which I have earned and set up for my retirement as a self-employed person, and which annuity income will gradually double every 20 years).

Even without that plan firmly in place, your statement that everybody except the richest ends up depleting their savings in the old age truly shows the extent of your cluelessness. Total depletion of assets in the old age is not very common, except among people who always existed at the edge of poverty anyway, even before retiring. People who have any assets at all generally make their retirement plans in such a way that they can afford whatever retirement they are planning for themselves, til the end. If someone has been a bum all their life, sure they will continue bumming in the old age, but they don't have too much to deplete to start with. Average normal people generally like to reasonably insure their future, which is one of the reasons why insurance companies are doing so well, and have more funds to pay out than anybody ends up needing.

The likelyhood that I'll ever be collecting Medicaid is about equal to the likelyhood that you'll ever be able to grow a higher IQ, ie, very close to zero, as close to zero as it possibly can get. I don't come from an exploitive or a "victim" mindset, I do not see it as normal or expected for anyone to be on Medicaid.
If someone's health holds or they die quickly there is no depletion of assets.

It's if they have medical crisis in old age, including going to a nursing home. Privately paying for nursing homes does indeed deplete savings and assets, unless on went to an estate lawyer and put all assets in the name of a child or otherwise hid them from the government to allow one to be on medicaid.

The fact that you admit you have to go to a third world country, if you have to pay for nursing home says a lot.

You don't have the private resources to take care of yourself should major illness strike in the US, and most likely you'll end up on medicaid (and definitely you'll use medicare), oh, in just a few years.

That everyone pays some sort of tax into the European healthcare system is common knowledge. As someone who lives and works and pays taxes in Western Europe (and as a dual citizen) I know the system better than you.

Teaching English is a real job, had someone not taught you English you never would have been able to immigrate to the US, much less have any kind of professional career. You'd be stuck in former Yugoslavia. You actually owe your English professors gratitude for helping you out of poverty because you wouldn't have anything at all without them.

And by the way, to do any time of professional work in any language one needs the relevant literary skills in whatever language. Without this no career in possible.

So yes, after 65 one is required to switch to medicare (government based insurance) for one's primary insurance in the states. Medicare only pays for 80 percent of medical costs. Your private insurance would have to pay for the remainder, and if your costs grew to great you'd switch to medicaid.

Btw, I've known young people from professional families (as in Upper Middle Class) who got illnesses such as cancer young. You cannot have liver transplants and chemo and pay for that out of pocket. They had to get on medicaid.

It's perfectly normal to use government healthcare systems in Western Europe, Canada, or Australia.

Most of the men in my family were US veterans. Korea, Vietnam, and later wars. So were many of my friends my age (Iraq and Afghanistan, and I'm including men and women).

What governments do US veterans get? Free medical care from the VA hospital. Subsidized mortgages. They get free tuition for an undergraduate degree. If they were disabled they get free tuition for graduate school as well (in the English department at Columbia I knew US military vets getting their tuition paid that way). They also get disability income (if disabled). They can go to US military bases and purchase food and other benefits for discounts). They get half price on MTA fares and other reduced travel benefits). The US government will even pay for their healthcare overseas.

These people all end up by homes, and not in places like Parkchester. They don't rely on the police to protect them, as they have military training.

Oh, the people in the municipal unions in NYC have fabulous benefits too, even if they have no degrees. Excellent pensions and medical coverage. Lots of vacation time. Very good salaries for people who don't have bachelors. I know NYPD, Sanitation, and other municipal workers making into the six digits. I have relatives who worked for the city as members of municipal unions and they all lived in safe neighborhoods and retired to safe places. They were teachers and also employees of the welfare department.

But hey, I'm just Parkchester will gentrify, in about 30 years. LOL

I think you know nothing about how the US works, or who moves up into the ranks of the upper middle class or even safe neighborhoods.

If you find out who is making the most money on this forum, with the exception of someone who is a corporate executive or someone who owns some sort of business, it's often people in municipal unions or people that have used some of the beneficial government programs I have mentioned. Programs that you were left out of (military service for example).

Oh, and city employees can get subsidized mortgages and can get affordable housing in safe neighborhoods much more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City