Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 12:56 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianleo777 View Post
Their lives were already ruined. No father in the picture...probably dead or in prison. This scum grows up on the street...what do you think is not to happen? The system is to blame here. A system that rewards single mothers and delinquency

The ghetto mentality will just not go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 01:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Lots of people that young have indeed already smoked weed. Not a cause for arrest. Maybe a cost for ACS or a social worker to get involved, if the teachers at school notice a kid under the influence.

I see lots of teenagers here in Spain smoking weed, and nobody bats and high. These same kids sell weed. The parents know (they smoke too). It's a norm here.
We are talking regularly. Not experimenting. So it would be cool with you if he was thirteen and smoking cigarettes regularly and drinking alcohol regularly as well? We're also not talking about Spain---let's stick to the US.

"Lots of people" --- HHS says only about 5% in eighth grade for regular usage. That's not "lots." Why are we trying to normalize everything?

https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/adolesce...ana/index.html

There is a big difference in terms of teenagers, between thirteen and in middle school and seventeen or eighteen years old kids in HS. If you can't see or understand that I don't know what else to say.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:31 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
With that logic there wouldn't be anything for lions to hunt. Kinda makes you wonder why don't the antelope and buffalo just don't naturally up and leave the savanna if they keep getting hunted for food.
wow, just wow. this does not deserve a serious response.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
We are talking regularly. Not experimenting. So it would be cool with you if he was thirteen and smoking cigarettes regularly and drinking alcohol regularly as well? We're also not talking about Spain---let's stick to the US.

"Lots of people" --- HHS says only about 5% in eighth grade for regular usage. That's not "lots." Why are we trying to normalize everything?

There is a big difference in terms of teenagers, between thirteen and in middle school and seventeen or eighteen years old kids in HS. If you can't see or understand that I don't know what else to say.
I do think 13 is too young to be smoking weed, but that's not what drove him to be a killer.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:11 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I do think 13 is too young to be smoking weed, but that's not what drove him to be a killer.
Maybe it was to pay for the weed which is why they were committing the robbery ?

Old 12-14-2019, 03:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Europe is still very safe. I was in Berlin recently and I barely even saw any cops. While NYC, even though it's safe for US standards, needs a damn near army of police to prevent crime from rising back to 1990 levels.
Europeans in general are not as intolerant as Americans. We have people stabbed and shot because someone someone said something disrespectful. When I was in Europe, nobody ever said excuse me or show any apology when bumping you or blocking you. In America, some people get offended when they don't here an "excuse me."

America is pretty violent society when you look at the type of violence and the causes and they are usually not money related at all. Most people don't put up a fight when they are held at knife or gunpoint.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Maybe it was to pay for the weed which is why they were committing the robbery ?
Not that everyone who is this situation would do this, but he had NO parents. His mother was dead, his father who knows, and quite clearly his aunt did not do a good job of raising him.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

His mother was DEAD, his father either absent or possibly DEAD, and quite clearly his aunt did not really care for him (probably only took him in to get money from the government and didn't really want him around).

The problem is not weed or drug use.

Oh, and broken families have been normalized in slums and in the housing projects for decades. So has carrying weapons. It's a pretty violent and screwed up society.

Kids like him do indeed kill people all the time, this just shocked people because the murder victim was a young promising white woman at Barnard.

It's easy to put the blame on drugs, but much harder to come up with a plan on what to do with unwanted children. That was the problem.

And it is relevant that lots of teens are out smoking weed in Spain. They don't kill people. They will get weed money by selling it to each other. Or teens here work. I see kids here younger than 13 working in their parents restaurants, and I've seen teenagers here work on farms. So they have money for their weed.

American teens used to work, but not the case anymore, and certainly not in the hood.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:05 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
When Deblasio got elected I saw the writing on the wall and I sold my condo in Dumbo for a nice profit in 2015. Moved to the suburbs of Long Island where I can make snarky comments about the city from the safety of the nice and boring suburbs.

And what writing is it?

Statistics show that crime went down 10% from the time DeBlaz was elected in 2014:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-2000-2018.pdf

He's a popular punching bag mayor(mine included), but so far he's overseen an overall reduction in crime across seven categories, from the time you moved to the boring suburbia.

There is a lot of homeless that anyone who gets out will notice, and there are warning signs here and there about the fact that a lot of people need mental health intervention. I'll give you that.

Last edited by speediestevie; 12-14-2019 at 04:25 PM..

Old 12-14-2019, 04:08 PM

It's a terrible thing to say ,and I don't know this child so it may not be true, but it's possible he didn't even know who his father was and that's why he had to stay with his aunt when his mother died.

You have serious social/family dysfunction created in part by the welfare system and people try to put the blame on weed.

Obviously his aunt didn't supervise him, which is not the fault of weed. Obviously his two friends who accompanied them didn't have much in the way of adult supervision, either.

But it's worse than that. The projects are violent so a lot of teens carry knives or guns, and calling the police is considered snitching and can get you beaten if not killed.

This child came from a violent, screwed up culture, and this homicide is not the fault of weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City