Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 01:57 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It changes nothing. There’s absolutely no proof she was in the park to by weed. Someone claimed she was in the park to buy weed. Her family should sue the post.

Smoking weed does not mean it’s okay to be murdered either. Honestly you sound as bad as the killers.

Female victims of crimes are supposed to be pure nuns/the Virgin Mary and anything less than that means it’s okay to smear them?
No, but if true it pushes her into the category of being someone who made bad decisions. People who are victimized in whole or in part as a result of bad decisions of their own don't generally get the same level of reaction/sympathy.
It makes it easier for people to rationalize that such a thing could never happen to them because they would never allow themselves to be in that position.
Not exactly the same but similar to a lot of people's reactions to domestic violence and gang violence.

It will change the whole narrative that's all I'm saying. People will still feel sorry for her but the outrage will be much less because people see something they can grab onto to explain it away. There will forever be an asterisk attached to the whole saga.

How many times on this forum have you heard people say something like " Oh, I'm not concerned about the murder rate at all because most people who get murdered get murdered by someone they know or because they were involved in some type of criminal activity. Could never happen to me. "

Personally, I don't think buying weed is a criminal activity but loads of people do.
I do think going into a park in a bad neighborhood at night is one of the stupidest things anyone can do and to do it looking to buy weed is even stupider.

Not saying she deserved anything...just that she was really, really reckless and stupid.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-15-2019 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 02:24 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,589,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No, but if true it pushes her into the category of being someone who made bad decisions. People who are victimized in whole or in part as a result of bad decisions of their own don't generally get the same level of reaction/sympathy.
It makes it easier for people to rationalize that such a thing could never happen to them because they would never allow themselves to be in that position.
Not exactly the same but similar to a lot of people's reactions to domestic violence and gang violence.

It will change the whole narrative that's all I'm saying. People will still feel sorry for her but the outrage will be much less because people see something they can grab onto to explain it away. There will forever be an asterisk attached to the whole saga.

How many times on this forum have you heard people say something like " Oh, I'm not concerned about the murder rate at all because most people who get murdered get murdered by someone they know or because they were involved in some type of criminal activity. Could never happen to me. "

Personally, I don't think buying weed is a criminal activity but loads of people do.
I do think going into a park in a bad neighborhood at night is one of the stupidest things anyone can do and to do it looking to buy weed is even stupider.

Not saying she deserved anything...just that she was really, really reckless and stupid.
Who? I know barely anyone who cares about that. Not even conservatives care about weed anymore unless they're really old.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:38 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Who? I know barely anyone who cares about that. Not even conservatives care about weed anymore unless they're really old.
Among others, and very importantly here, the head of the NYPD sergeant's union. His opinion is expressed clearly in the Post story:

“We don’t enforce marijuana laws anymore. We’re basically hands-off on the enforcement of marijuana,” Mullins said.

“I understand the mayor made statements that this is surprising on how this can happen in New York City,” he said. “I really have to question what world he’s living in to think that this is surprising, when we are watching the city slowly erode, with shootings, stabbings, an increase in homicides and, most importantly, a hands-off policing policy.

“Something needs to change and it needs to change quickly or it’s gonna be very difficult to put the genie back in the bottle.”

It will now forever taint the way this case is handled.

Also...if nobody cared there wouldn't be a front page NY Post headline saying
"Tessa Majors was looking to buy weed before her murder, police union president claims"

Again, none of this is how I feel personally. I'm just calling it as I see it and I think it's changed the narrative dramatically, whether you want to thinks so or not.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-15-2019 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-15-2019, 02:42 PM

8,320 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:
Now looking like she was in the park to buy drugs......sort of changes the picture.
Someone suggested this very early on in this thread or the other thread that got closed down and got pounced on.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/15/tessa-...sident-claims/

At least we now know why she was apparently in the park after dark.

While marijuana is not terribly interesting here (except that a 13 year old should not be smoking anything, but should be doing homework), I am really glad that this Sargeant Mullins said so well all other things that he said, I hope that NYPD will keep reiterating what he said, and that these police statements will make a difference - ie, that a much tighter policing will be instituted by the next NYC administration. A city of that size cannot function without police having the freedom they need to keep things under control.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:00 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,589,629 times
Quote:
Among others, and very importantly here, the head of the NYPD sergeant's union. His opinion is expressed clearly in the Post story:

“We don’t enforce marijuana laws anymore. We’re basically hands-off on the enforcement of marijuana,” Mullins said.

“I understand the mayor made statements that this is surprising on how this can happen in New York City,” he said. “I really have to question what world he’s living in to think that this is surprising, when we are watching the city slowly erode, with shootings, stabbings, an increase in homicides and, most importantly, a hands-off policing policy.

“Something needs to change and it needs to change quickly or it’s gonna be very difficult to put the genie back in the bottle.”

It will now forever taint the way this case is handled.

Also...if nobody cared there wouldn't be a front page NY Post headline saying
"Tessa Majors was looking to buy weed before her murder, police union president claims"

Again, none of this is how I feel personally. I'm just calling it as I see it and I think it's changed the narrative dramatically, whether you want to thinks so or not.
The NY Post is known for stupid headlines

Old 12-15-2019, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 605 times
This is very shocking, given the NYPD PBA's only racialized equal is Sharpton, I fully expected the black crime angle, I do wonder if Tessa being a Social Justice Warrior (From Charlottesville, VA, All all places) had anything to do with this, had she been a conservative from Dallas at Columbia Business school, would the take from PBA been different.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:25 PM

36 posts, read 40,682 times
This case is very sad. But it only proves why marijuana should be legal. Almost half of america has smoked weed at one point in their lives. Weed is plentiful even with the war on "drugs" but underground. People are forced to go into shady areas or deal with cartel funded drug dealers to get their weed. It makes no sense when in other states you can simply walk in a store buy it and leave. The war on drugs really had nothing to do with "drugs" and had to do with racial motivations. Enough is enough.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:35 PM

555 posts, read 616,657 times
Quote:
Now looking like she was in the park to buy drugs......sort of changes the picture.
Someone suggested this very early on in this thread or the other thread that got closed down and got pounced on.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/15/tessa-...sident-claims/

At least we now know why she was apparently in the park after dark.

that's absurd, it changes nothing.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:

And are you doing to say this if something similar happens to your daughter or a member of your family? I'm sure women in your family have smoked joints. Have you talked to them about this?

Plenty of Columbia students go into the parks nearby, and no one gets killed. She was just extremely unfortunate. All the parks in the area are full of people.

Parks and there for the public to use, not for people to murder people in.

Immediately you more or less say it was the right thing to kill someone, because a TABLOID claims weed was involved.

Even if she did use drugs, nobody deserved this?

It changes nothing, because the NYPD will still tightly patrol the area and the university will still have to increase security.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldh View Post
This case is very sad. But it only proves why marijuana should be legal. Almost half of america has smoked weed at one point in their lives. Weed is plentiful even with the war on "drugs" but underground. People are forced to go into shady areas or deal with cartel funded drug dealers to get their weed. It makes no sense when in other states you can simply walk in a store buy it and leave. The war on drugs really had nothing to do with "drugs" and had to do with racial motivations. Enough is enough.
Absolutely right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City