Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 07:06 PM

1,995 posts, read 1,688,875 times

Advertisements

"This case is very sad. But it only proves why marijuana should be legal."

In our part of the country, Northern California, marijuana is legal to buy, and legal to grow and sell with some sort of permit. It is everywhere. Nevertheless, maybe 30 % of violent crimes are are somehow related to the marijuana trade. You can legalize it, but that won't stop the crime.

The same is true about selling jewelry, guns, Oxycontin, or alcohol - the criminals will show up, sooner or later. Marijuana is not in the same category as donuts or dog food.

Last edited by mgforshort; 12-15-2019 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 07:14 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times
Tessa had – and all of us have – a right to feel safe in our neighborhood park at 7 p.m., any time of the year,” said Brad Taylor, president of Friends of Morningside Park

of course, and so did the "central park jogger"......

wouldnt it be dark at 7pm now? I think so, while terribly sad, of course.
I just dont understand why single girls by themselves will still walk in ANY NYC park at night in the dark?

(obviously, and sadly, in this case, since the girl was not from NYC, obviously, she was clueless)

of course we all know we all have the right to (and should) go to a park at dark, but you also have to have some sense.

I think what is disgusting is a 13 year old telling officers that he and his friends were going to the park to rob people, simply disgusting.

I can already see the bright future of this boy.

The NYPD should take the 3 of them and put them in a helicopter and then drop them into the ocean...........................over and done, next..................

Old 12-15-2019, 07:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times
Big men have gotten killed in broad daylight in NYC. And for those of you are gay, I know a number of gay men who have been BEATEN right on the STREET in supposedly safe neighborhoods like Chelsea. Some of you guys out of fear are trying to say the girl did something right, this couldn't happen to you.

But it could, especially if the city really is going back to the 80s.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:53 PM

87,994 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Now looking like she was in the park to buy drugs......sort of changes the picture.
Someone suggested this very early on in this thread or the other thread that got closed down and got pounced on.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/15/tessa-...sident-claims/

At least we now know why she was apparently in the park after dark.
I kind of assumed this was going to turn out to be the case. Probably did this a dozen times before and nothing bad happened. Wrong place, wrong time.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:35 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,533,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And are you doing to say this if something similar happens to your daughter or a member of your family? I'm sure women in your family have smoked joints. Have you talked to them about this?

Plenty of Columbia students go into the parks nearby, and no one gets killed. She was just extremely unfortunate. All the parks in the area are full of people.

Parks and there for the public to use, not for people to murder people in.

Immediately you more or less say it was the right thing to kill someone, because a TABLOID claims weed was involved.

Even if she did use drugs, nobody deserved this?

It changes nothing, because the NYPD will still tightly patrol the area and the university will still have to increase security.
Exactly. Parks are not closed at 7PM, and they're there for people to use.
You also bring up a good point that this can happen to anyone. Plenty of posters live in sketchy neighborhoods where this sort of thing could happen, regardless of how street smart people think they are.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I kind of assumed this was going to turn out to be the case. Probably did this a dozen times before and nothing bad happened. Wrong place, wrong time.
Or it seems like simply distancing yourself from the crime as a way of saying it cannot happen to you when it can.

Though I’ve certainly done stubs all the times I crossed Morningside Park had nothing to do with drugs. I had a dermatologist I used to go in Harlem and that office was not far from Morningside Park.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Exactly. Parks are not closed at 7PM, and they're there for people to use.
You also bring up a good point that this can happen to anyone. Plenty of posters live in sketchy neighborhoods where this sort of thing could happen, regardless of how street smart people think they are.
Also this happened pretty much on Columbia’s campus, very close to the guard post. It’s not like she was deep in the middle of some corner in Central Park( not that there’s anything wrong with Central Park). So out of fear a young woman who had a long going on for becomes an outrageous junkie. Some are attempting to completely dehumanize her and next we will here she used to get squirrels off in the bushes!

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...attan-assaults

Look at how this man randomly assaulted people, including punching one guy in the face because he was white. I personally know the victim, who has been the victim of assaults three times this year(being gay doesn’t help).

But you don’t have to be gay or a woman to be assaulted or murdered. There’s an issue with violence in American society that people refuses to address. It’s extremely disturbing that people will say it’s basically okay to kill a woman because she want pure (neither are their daughters or children by the way).

Not to mention when there are shootouts any unlucky person in the area could simply be shot.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:14 PM

11,540 posts, read 12,562,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Since I am a bit older and not familiar with modern activist jargon, I had to look up "gas lighting"... apparently it means manipulating. Since somebody else on the thread mentioned "social justice warrior", I just picked it up, not realizing that it is different from activist (or somehow offensive... 75% of all words are now offensive, ie, only the activist jargon is not offensive).

So you think I am manipulating when I say that economics is not a reason for murder? Well, I came to the US 36 years ago on a student (ie, non-immigrant) visa, not eligible for any of the ample social services that the US generously offers to its own citizens including these kids and their families (more so than pretty much any other country in the world). I can guarantee you that these kids had a phone, heating and hot water - something I did not have for my first two years in the US. I remained poor for many years in the US, while getting a training, and while being very uncertain how and where I would end up. It never occurred to me to stab anyone. So, I don't accept it that the cause of this murder is economic. Social factors, yes, you are right on that one - social factors such as the culture that fully accepts and glamorizes crime, and NY laws that protect this culture. Those are contributing causes, but the direct cause of this murder is that two 14 year olds decided to kill someone, and then stabbed her many times with a knife. While a contributing cause is social, the direct and most important cause of this murder is highly personal: that two persons (of an age at which a person understands what it means to kill) decided to kill another person.

The family should sue the makers of the laws that protect violent crime in NY. The kids shouldget the maximum possible sentence.
Just for the record, the term "gaslighting" is not related to social justice and it's an old American slang term. It was used in the 1944 movie, Gaslight. It's a type of manipulation, but really refers to when someone tries to convince someone else that something that really did happen, did not happen, thereby making someone to become full of self-doubt.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:51 AM

2,578 posts, read 3,362,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I think you're a misogynist
I think he's also a ventriloquist.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:53 AM

3,717 posts, read 1,408,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I said social justice activist and not warrior. I find the warrior aspect very offensive. In this situation. Economics and social factors are the reason why stuff like this happens. Pleased stop gas lighting
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Why are you saying that the victim IS a social justice warrior? At most, you might say that she WAS that (although I understand her particular cause was only feminism), since she IS no longer alive. According to the reports, during her last moments she was not blaming gentrification and economics "for this event", but was frantically fighting for her life while being held in a chokehold and repeatedly stabbed while feathers were flying out of her jacket (she managed to bite one of the attackers on the hand). The city needs to do a better job of monitoring, arresting, and appropriately sentencing criminals (including juveniles) before they graduate from lesser offenses to murder. Using gentrification as a justification for murder is really the new low in "activist" idiocy.

Not sure where the saying originates that a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. I assume we will know eventually the opinion of the family whose 18 year old daughter has been far worse than mugged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Where was it said she was a social justice warrior? Nothing about the victims politics were mentioned in the news reports. Not everyone at Barnard or Columbia is a social justice warrior or leftist or whatever.

What's sad is that an 18 year old was murdered period.
Both of you guys tried to manipulate what I said. I never said she is a social justice warrior. Can you state and show where did I use such term in which I find offensive? Proper terms can be used instead of making offensives out of such. It clearly shows that you guys gas light my comments or to manipulate my statement and then attack me on it. Yes the victims politics is displayed on the news. Barnard could college did a snippet of her manifesto in her college application essay in which she states she is an avid feminist, and wants to take course work on social justice, she is also like many of her politics wants to study journalism. It's real sad for this to all happen. Especially so close to the holidays.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.co...rd/%3famp=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City