Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 01:48 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Don't have to worry. Names are never removed from databases.I don't care what anyone says.
And criminal records are never really expunged either. I have first hand experience with this.
The information just gets moved to another computer database with easy access to those who need to access it.
Well yes, that is true to some extent.

Sealed does not mean criminal or other court records are under lock and key so to speak. Merely that there is an indication on entire file or parts of it (such as adoption records portions that name birth parents), that information is "sealed" and via what particular statute or court order applies. So yes, anyone with legal access (or given files by mistake) can see sealed information. This and or course today that information is in computer files/databases. District attorneys, certain LE (with proper clearances), FBI, etc.. all can see such information.

Expunged information is only removed from public view from a criminal record; again that does not mean said information still does not exist elsewhere.

Notice today when news media reports on a suspect they say "X has four prior arrests with two convictions and one sealed offense". That or during arraignment judge will ask DA or LE if there are any prior convictions; to which one or both will respond something like "four convictions and two more I can't talk about", that or will outright say "two are sealed".

Largest benefit from either sealing or expunge in regards to criminal matters is that the thing is off someone's rap sheet. This and they can legally answer "no" when asked about prior convictions.

That last bit is only up to a point. For certain things like military or high security clearances everyone is asked to include *all* priors even if they are sealed or expunged. In case of latter two you may be required to give consent for records to be unsealed so information can be reviewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 01:55 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Escape From NYC....coming soon!

Old 12-13-2019, 03:35 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
I love nyc but it is time to start looking elsewhere. The taxes and new agendas are not for me.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:23 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I love nyc but it is time to start looking elsewhere. The taxes and new agendas are not for me.
Make sure you vote for the right people so you don't turn your new home into NYC

Old 12-13-2019, 06:52 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
NYC still has gangs? I have not noticed this.

I dont think this is happening in Inwood, or Washington Heights or Corona. Those are areas I frequent a lot.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:59 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

I dont think this is happening in Inwood, or Washington Heights or Corona. Those are areas I frequent a lot.
Are you being sarcastic?

Old 12-13-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Are you being sarcastic?
No, why you think I am?

I am in those areas all the time. Well, I used to be in Inwood a lot. But I have not been in like 2yrs.

But I am in Washington Heights all the time. I am going there tomorrow as well.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:19 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Gang data bases are racist, homophobic, xenophobic, anti-Semitic, white supremacist, and I ain’t down wit dat, main. So fugged aboud it.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:37 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

There is some gang activity in/near Corona, hence the MS-13 shooting on a subway platform in broad daylight earlier this year

Upper Manhattan has plenty of gangs too

Old 12-13-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There is some gang activity in/near Corona, hence the MS-13 shooting on a subway platform in broad daylight earlier this year

Upper Manhattan has plenty of gangs too
I have not heard of this. I used to live there for a while like a year ago.

Well anyhow, gangs no longer control turf. That is the big one. Gangs used to claim turf in NYC. Nowadays, you have to pretty brazen to do that.

Gang presence is only really felt if they claim turf. If they just operate in the shadows, then is not really affecting people that dont deal with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City