Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 09:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. Also, someone mentioned here that if someone (using their metro) needs to swipe again (because their initial swipe didn't take), if you happen to be right behind them and tap on your card before they had a chance to swipe, you've just mistakenly paid the fare for that person or something like that. I can see that happening with people rushing to get thru because the subway is right there at the platform.
That is easy to avoid. Just wait until person in front is either thoroughly through, or cannot .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 09:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How will they handle reduced Senior fares? My MTA card has my picture on it.

<I am trying to remember how PATH managed it.>
For seniors a wireless rechargeable card with a chip on it. That's how similar systems OMNI is basing itself off handle themselves.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:36 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,763,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That is easy to avoid. Just wait until person in front is either thoroughly through, or cannot .
It's fine if one's not rushing, but there's usually a mad dash to get thru the turn style if they're just entering the station as the subway is just pulling into the platform. I've seen people just madly swiping away foregoing paying proper attention.

I'm going to wait until all the turn styles take only omny and the metro is defunct like the tokens.

Last edited by Aeran; 12-14-2019 at 11:44 PM..

Old 12-17-2019, 05:17 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Quote:
Has anyone tried this and have first hand experience with this? Is it glitch free?

https://qns.com/story/2019/12/13/one...ace-metrocard/

The launch of the “One Metro New York” (OMNY) fare payment system will be leaving the MetroCard in its dust in the next two years, as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority rolled out more tap-and-go screens at Penn Station on Wednesday.

Now that OMNY has been at 16 stations around the city as part of the pilot to iron out any kinks before making a full commitment, New York City Transit President Andy Byford said the agency is getting into the “business end” of $573 million rollout.

“So far already, we have recorded over $4 million taps… that exceeds our honest expectations, people love OMNY, they want OMNY, they’re taking it up with relish,” Byford said. “We’re now making OMNY accessible to a whole new market, namely customers of Long Island Rail Road, customers of New Jersey Transit and customers of Amtrak.”

Among other banks, the MTA has partnered with Chase in order to fund the program’s rollout — something that Al Putre, executive director of the OMNY Fare Payment Program, said is mainly because the agency is always in need of money.

Commuters benefit from this partnership by virtue of the MTA avoiding the need to raise fares, Putre said.

Seven day or 30-day unlimited pay options will be available through the program between late 2020 or February 2021 through the OMNY app’s pay options, according to Putre.

OMNY on the bus system will make its first appearance on the Select Bus Service, Byford said. OMNY panels will be installed next to both doors for all-door boarding.

This strikes me as a cringe-worthy awful example not only of the way the MTA wastes money on technology of dubious value, but the way America pursues all these stupid little tech tweaks instead of using the money and brain power to solve genuine problems.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Will they issue sturdy hard plastic permanent Tap and Go cards that can be refilled with money (like PATH) or will we be forced to drop a $grand on an i-phone to use the subway or bus?

Old 12-19-2019, 08:56 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,763,660 times
Quote:
Will they issue sturdy hard plastic permanent Tap and Go cards that can be refilled with money (like PATH) or will we be forced to drop a $grand on an i-phone to use the subway or bus?
Actually, you can use any contactless credit card. Citibank and Chase bank have issued me new contactless cards (they're the ones with the wifi symbol on the back) to replace my previous credit cards in preparation. I plan to use those because there's no way I'm going to use my smart phone and risk someone grabbing that away from me.

As for those discount senior cards, they haven't really addressed what they're going to do about that. I hope those will be given out like the ones at PATH.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:35 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
London, Tokyo, Chicago, Boston...

I'm all for it, but they don't serve my stations. I've used it and it works great. People need to stop complaining and upgrade to actual modern times, though the MTA implementation does leave a lot to be desired. I need it to handle monthly metro card before I can use it as an every day thing though.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:26 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:

omg no, no freaking way am i buying a phone to ride a subway

Old 12-19-2019, 11:55 AM

34,052 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u][/b]

omg no, no freaking way am i buying a phone to ride a subway

Lol, come to the dark side........

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-19-2019, 11:56 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
I've finally come across one! Tonight getting off from work, at the 50th Street station on the 1 line. Hmmm...I've seen people take a look at it, then get out their metro card and swipe with that instead.
Hmmm....
LOL I have saw that as well. How stupid can people be!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City