Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 11:04 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,709,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop234 View Post
So I have a question, can I try to move to both London and New York,for both I need to improve English And find an employer in the city (I'm a web developer). However, there is one subtlety: I do not have a higher education (For the profession, it is not necessary, since universities do not teach useful things in my country), this does not interfere with work, however, for moving to New York I need a bachelor’s diploma, I don’t need it for London, so now I have a question: spend 5 years (Distance learning) at a university for the sake of New York or try to move to London without wasting time diploma.
Then move to London first and get your diploma while there.
English will be learned faster when you're already in London/NYC. Your knowledge in general will accelerate much faster once you move, since you'll learn a lot of new things practically every day. The sooner you move the better, as it is much easier to move when you're younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 11:51 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times
Quote:
No, I'm a Russian who is trying to figure out where it’s better to immigrate. I have plans to immigrate once and for all, so I would like to have many opportunities for work in this city, divorce, dating and creating a family. Life in Moscow, in Russia, is extremely dull, there are at least possibilities, laws are completely not respected.

If you're Jewish, you can easily move to Israel. They pay Jews to move there, and there is a large IT industry.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:36 PM

874 posts, read 454,342 times
Quote:
spend 5 years (Distance learning) at a university for the sake of New York or try to move to London without wasting time diploma.
it's never a "waste" of time: learning and getting a diploma. It "ain't." you may need it down the road. [the knowledge & diploma]. i vote: get the diploma man and stop making excuses 'not' to read a book and learn! ;)

Old 12-17-2019, 03:52 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
You're going to get a high end technology job in London without a degree. I don't know their market as well as NYC, but that seems unlikely.

Quote:
So I have a question, can I try to move to both London and New York,for both I need to improve English And find an employer in the city (I'm a web developer). However, there is one subtlety: I do not have a higher education (For the profession, it is not necessary, since universities do not teach useful things in my country), this does not interfere with work, however, for moving to New York I need a bachelor’s diploma, I don’t need it for London, so now I have a question: spend 5 years (Distance learning) at a university for the sake of New York or try to move to London without wasting time diploma.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:25 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
No, I'm a Russian who is trying to figure out where it’s better to immigrate. I have plans to immigrate once and for all, so I would like to have many opportunities for work in this city, divorce, dating and creating a family. Life in Moscow, in Russia, is extremely dull, there are at least possibilities, laws are completely not respected.
Well, yes, many opportunities in NYC, and it's certainly not dull, but neither is London. And keep in mind that there are other cities besides NYC.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:10 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:

The first question is: what type of visa status are you planning to get? If you are counting upon an H-1 visa (ie, visa based on an offer of employment in the US), your employer would have to prove that they could not find an equally qualified US citizen willing to take that job, or that you are uniquely qualified for that job. In your situation, looking for a tech job without a college degree, that would generally mean that you patented something in Russia or started your own company in Russia - those would be some unique qualifications that US job applicants may not have. If you go for a college degree, you would have to be a top student, and would need to establish some sort of connection with your future US employer already as a college student in Russia, to tailor your education (eg, your graduation thesis) to the specifications of your future job. In other words, you would have to be either already professionally accomplished or highly trained in Russia in order to have a shot at getting an employment-based visa in the US.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:19 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
NYC

DJT loves russia right now but the british will take your money too

Old 12-17-2019, 08:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Quote:
Ha ha. Are you thinking of getting a green card with some sucker then divorcing him?

Old 12-18-2019, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 4,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Then move to London first and get your diploma while there.
English will be learned faster when you're already in London/NYC. Your knowledge in general will accelerate much faster once you move, since you'll learn a lot of new things practically every day. The sooner you move the better, as it is much easier to move when you're younger.
Unfortunately, in Russia there are absolutely wrong salaries. I have a salary $640 per month and, of course, I will not be able to pull university fees

Old 12-18-2019, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 4,388 times
Please tell us, as residents of New York, about + and - life in this city. Being just a tourist, I still can’t find out all the subtleties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: